LAVH 5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!! 5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!!

Unread 08-09-2015, 08:49 AM
5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!!

Hi everyone I had this problem in the hospital after surgery. I had a catheter in which they took out the next day. When I was ready to pee on my own I couldn't. I couldn't pee all day long so they placed another catheter in me bc I was so miserable. Finally after that one came out I was able to pee. Anyway here it is 5 days after my surgery and I can't pee at all. I try to go and it acts like it wants to come out but it won't. Should I go to er or a clinic or what? So frustrating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Re: 5 days post LAVH! Can't pee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgwhitt View Post
Hi everyone I had this problem in the hospital after surgery. I had a catheter in which they took out the next day. When I was ready to pee on my own I couldn't. I couldn't pee all day long so they placed another catheter in me bc I was so miserable. Finally after that one came out I was able to pee. Anyway here it is 5 days after my surgery and I can't pee at all. I try to go and it acts like it wants to come out but it won't. Should I go to er or a clinic or what? So frustrating
If you have your doctor on-call I would call them, otherwise I would go to your ER. I also had to have a catheter inserted and reinserted (and reinserted), and the ER is the quickest place to do it on the weekend (if you don't already have a number for your doctor on-call, or an on-call clinic, or a home health care nurse that can do it TODAY). Good luck!!
Unread 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM

I ended up going to er they called my doctor and he told them to place a catheter in me and send me home and for me to come see him in the morning. this really sucks having this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Hang in there!! After having the catheter taken out and put back in in the hospital, I got sent home from the hospital with one. It stayed in for three days. A home health care nurse came and they helped me with it, showed me how to change the bags (I got a leg bag to walk around with!), how to keep it clean and give me supplies. On the fourth day they took it out and we kept it out while doing ins and outs to make sure I was peeing enough, and I drank literally 3.5 litres a day. I was so glad when it came out! If you don't have medical tape, make sure you get some tomorrow morning from the doctor's office, because it will really help keep the cath comfortable if you can keep it taped to your leg the way you like.

It does really suck. It does. We're here for you! You can do it!!!
Unread 08-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you so much!!!! Oh goodness I really hope I don't have to keep this very long. Just hope this is something temporary and I can get this out soon even tomorrow would be nice!!!! I was fine for the few days after I got out then bam today I couldn't pee! Ugh!! I'm trying to hang in there just feel like it's going to be forever. I'm only 25 and feel horrible! (
Unread 08-10-2015, 12:19 AM

Good luck in the morning. Please keep us posted
Unread 08-10-2015, 12:46 PM

Well I saw the doctor about 11 this morning and he took catheter out he said if I have not peed by 3pm then I'll have to come back and get another one!!! I sure hope I don't have to go back!!! I do not want a catheter anymore! This is crazy! Why would he just keep putting them in me and not try to see what's wrong. Ugh so frustrating. Anyway I'm just waiting now to see if I can pee.
Unread 08-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!!

Quote:
Well I saw the doctor about 11 this morning and he took catheter out he said if I have not peed by 3pm then I'll have to come back and get another one!!! I sure hope I don't have to go back!!! I do not want a catheter anymore! This is crazy! Why would he just keep putting them in me and not try to see what's wrong. Ugh so frustrating. Anyway I'm just waiting now to see if I can pee.
CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG!!!!!

I mean it, though. If they didn't already tell you, drink as much as humanely possible. Drink tea, drink coffee, drink still water, drink sparkling, drink pop (soda), drink whatever you like best and drink a lot. Flushing out your system is the best way to get everything moving again!

This might be a relief to you too, that not being able to pee is a pretty common complication caused by a minor injury to the bladder, or a UTI, or sometimes just the bladder being like, "I hate surgery, I'm not going to work anymore because I need a break". The hysterectomy was the problem, the fix is the catheter. If you still need a catheter in another week then there might be more to it then that, but for now it's actually that simple. (I hope that's actually a helpful thing to say!)

So.... DRINK CHUG A LUG DRINK CHUG A LUG DRINK CHUG A LUG PEE!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying a special thought for you!!

Unread 08-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone I had this problem in the hospital after surgery. I had a catheter in which they took out the next day. When I was ready to pee on my own I couldn't. I couldn't pee all day long so they placed another catheter in me bc I was so miserable. Finally after that one came out I was able to pee. Anyway here it is 5 days after my surgery and I can't pee

at all. I try to go and it acts like it wants to come out but it won't. Should I go to er or a clinic or what? So frustrating
One of the things they did in the hospital when I was trying to pee was squirt me with some cold water and have the tap in the sink running. It worked. Give it a shot. Good luck and keep us posted !
Unread 08-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy (LAVH)! Can't pee!!!

Thank you everyone for your support! finally my bladder has woken up and I am peeing again! Still hurts super bad to pee but I think it's just irritated from all the catheters!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register