Travel After Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travel After Surgery Travel After Surgery

Unread 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Travel After Surgery

Hello All
I am having my surgery on 2/10 and will have a trip to do a few weeks later on 2/26. How soon did you do any travel in a car? The trip is about 3 hours. I have explained to my stepdaughter that I may not make it for her birthday, she did not really understand. She said if I was not feeling well I could still come to her birthday party and just not eat any cake and ice cream. She is turning 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Re: Travel After Surgery

Alot of that depends on the type of surgery. If it's abdominal, that trip might be too much.
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

I forgot about the type of surgery. I am scheduled to have the daVinci done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM

I had LAVH/BSO on 3/5/10 and was allowed to travel by car 9 hours on 3/12/10 with all kind of rules from my doctor. One of the main things was to get out and walk every hour or so.

I would discuss this with your doctor to make sure it will be allowed.

Good Luck with your surgery.

Unread 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Yea, my two week check up is right before the trip on the 25th, so that would be a perfect time for him to tell me if it is ok and what I need to do, ie, walking or what ever else is recommended.
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Traveling is a question I'll have as well. My son is due to have heart surgery in sometime in March which means a cross country flight. Hope I'll be able to travel because I don't want him to be alone.
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm going on a cruise 7 weeks post op which means flying. I had a DaVinci and I feel that will be ready for that. I found traveling in a car was ok at 2 weeks for me but I didn't go 3 hours. Good luck.
Unread 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM

I had a LSH with tubes removed on Jan 20th. I leave for Hawaii on Feb 2nd. I have a double check with my doc Feb 1st just to make sure all is good. Then it's nothing but relaxing in the sun. The thing my doc said is that any prolonged sitting in an L shape is not recommended. I need to walk around on the flight.
Unread 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

I think you'll be fine, but probably good to prepare your stepdaughter, just in case. You never know what issues might come up for you personally. At two weeks I could have done a three hour car ride or plane flight. At three weeks, I'm having vertigo and would not want to travel. At this point, I'm not making any travel plans until I know I'm fully recovered (at least no plans the require payment in advance!)
Unread 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

I traveled 8 hours home one week after a daVinci. I split it up into two days of 4 hours each, and it was fine. I didn't do any of the driving though, so I could nap. I did make sure to get out and walk about every hour, and I wore my compression socks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register