Not Scheduled First question: Cervix removal necessary? UPDATE - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First question: Cervix removal necessary? UPDATE First question: Cervix removal necessary? UPDATE

Unread 01-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Re: First question: Cervix removal necessary?

I'm two weeks post, and I had my cervix out due to precancerous dysplasia. One of my big concerns was the sexual component, so I did some research. I'm still forbidden for another several weeks or so, so I can't speak to the practical aspects of sex without a cervix yet. I can say that my sex drive, which used to be low, has been markedly higher post-op.

From what I've read, removing the cervix doesn't effect the size too much (if it does, they say it's extremely minimal.) The vagina is about 3" long, but it's extremely stretchy and able to accommodate all sizes of penis, as well as tiny humans. With our without a cervix, your husband should still fit just fine. There are some articles about size and such at the top of the page: articles > intimacy (I couldn't post the link.)

I haven't done any research on the pros and cons of keeping your cervix, as it was never an option for me, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2017, 10:50 AM

You're received some great answers here.

I agree completely with Cussette -- the medical community is split, which is what I discovered when I delved into the medical research.

The bottom line that I came to after reading all of the medical research - is why remove extra and do more extensive surgery than you have to? If you don't have endometriosis, and no personal risks related to retaining the cervix, and don't mind the possibility (11-24%) of a little spotting each month, LSH or SAH is an easier surgery. They don't have to cut and reattach ligaments to the sides of your vagina to hold it in place. You'll heal faster. Less risk of some complications. The cervix is thought (maybe) to play a roll in vaginal lubrication and orgasm. No risk of possible vaginal shortening, or internal vaginal scar tissue that your husband might feel.

The down side...some docs want to always do what they've always done, and want to sign you up for the more complex surgery because that's what they're used to.

I had to fight mine. She kept saying "what if you get cervical cancer?" I had no risks. I told her..."well, what if I get breast cancer?...I'm not removing my breasts just in case, am I?" Then, when I went back a year later for my pap...she told me....oh, the new guidelines say that because you're such a low risk for cervical cancer, we only need to do a pap once ever 5 years. (You wanted to chop out healthy parts of my body for that reason!!!!)
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM

Thank you all, you've definitely put my mind at ease!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Re: First question: Cervix removal necessary?-UPDATE

OK, so I met with the robotics doctor yesterday. She said the cervix needs to come out because fibroids can grow on it too. I think she also said something about because my uterus is so big (size of a 16-week pregnancy) that she wouldn't be able to keep the cervix while using the robotics (I forgot to ask, but I'm assuming that means the Davinci). I think she said the only way to keep it would be to go the traditional TAH route. Does all that sound right?
Meanwhile, she wants to put me on Lupron for 3 months to shrink my uterus before she goes in for the kill. She was concerned that she wouldn't have enough space between my lungs and the incisions. I have a very short torso, and my enlarged uterus isn't making things any easier.
After talking with her, I feel a little better about the sexual aspect of losing my cervix, but still not sure it's necessary.
It concerns me that she couldn't explain why I feel a little better when I'm on my period, when it should be the opposite (more estrogen flowing to the fibroid should mean I feel worse). Maybe I'm just special, but I can't help feeling like my birth control triggers this whole thing. So I asked her if I stopped taking birth control if the fibroids would go away, she didn't seem to think so.
Sigh....guess there's no way out.
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Re: Update-finally met with robotics doc, still have concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy View Post
...It concerns me that she couldn't explain why I feel a little better when I'm on my period, when it should be the opposite (more estrogen flowing to the fibroid should mean I feel worse)...
Based on what you've written here, it sounds as if you think that during your period you have more estrogen flowing to the fibroid? The opposite is true. Estrogen dominates during the two weeks *following* your period. Then you have one week during which progesterone dominates (PMS week). Then both hormones drop, triggering the start of your period. During your period, neither estrogen nor progesterone are flowing to your fibroid.
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Oh, okay. Thank you, SurprisedInNB. That makes more sense. I was under the impression there was more estrogen during the week of my period. Serves me right for listening to a male medical student...maybe he needs to study a little harder.
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:17 PM

That's a bit scary, considering that he's almost certainly going to have female patients some day!
Unread 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Re: First question: Cervix removal necessary? UPDATE

my cervix is gone too but it hasn't affected me
Unread 02-19-2017, 06:35 PM
First question: Cervix removal necessary? UPDATE

I asked my doctor the same thing about my cervix. It scared me to have it removed. She told me that the fibroids and endo can grow on it.

Also she said that in the case that something happened and they needed to go in later (more issues) that your cervix can move around and cause a more invasive surgery.
That freaked me out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register