Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy? Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy?

Unread 08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterAngel
Thanks Sisters for all your replies. It looks like you can still live without HRT. Since I am dealing with pre-cancer I probably wouldn't be able to take them anyways. But then, before finding this out I was planning on a natural transition into menopause anyway.

Best of luck to you all. You're all the BEST

Hugs
Hi again, Sister Angel-

I CAN'T do the HRT, the hormones & bcp's to control bleeding & (alledgedly) alleviate some of the endo./adeno. symptoms made me very ill & those were just the side effects, let alone what it does for your body otherwise (especially if you are pre-cancer)...I'm just going to stay on my food plan for the CFS and adjust some of my "womanly supplements" and see how that goes. I think it'll really be all right.
I'm willing to email privately, if you like.

hugs,
Jewel1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Hi jewel1,

I'm with you, the food plan is excellent. God gave us so many foods that do things to help our bodies. We'll do ok, and we'll survive!!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas, and tips. I sure appreciate it

Hugs
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Sorry I didn’t post sooner.

Prettyanxious ~ EPO is evening primrose oil. The flax seed oil and evening primrose oil are two different pills. I take the hot flash cocktail daily. The natural estrogen crème is over the counter. I got mine at a health food store. I sure hope everything will work out for you. I was the same way before I found what worked for me.

JanaBailey ~ a chillow is a cooling aid sold on this site. I put mine under my pillow case. It is a god send. Especially with night sweats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2006, 06:08 AM

mrsdolittle,

Thanks so much. I should have realized it was primose but I thought it was some fish oil. I was not aware that estrogen was sold OTC. Thanks!
I'm at 4 wks postop now. My night sweats, insomnia and depression were getting worse. So, I started a high quality soy protein drink last week. And since I started the drink (one shake a day) I haven't had a night sweat! I am amazed. I wake up dry! My sleep improved and my mood feels more normal now.
My Dr said soy can be very helpful for menopausal symptoms. I guess so!
I also use an OTC progesterone cream. I've used it off and on for about 5 years. I have John Lee's book. It's a great resource!

Is your Dr aware you use the creams?

Good luck and feel your best!
Unread 08-29-2006, 07:08 AM

Yes, my doctor is aware of what I am using we talked about it prior to my surgery. He specializes in menopause as well as female problems.
Unread 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Hi ladies,
I'm three weeks post-op as of yesterday and I haven't used anything, natural or HRT. Except for a couple of crying jags a couple of days after the TLH/BSO I haven't had any real problems. I do get what I call the sweats, it's not like a hot flash, I just start sweating for a while then it stops, but that's been going on for months now. I see my doc for the first time since the op tomorrow and I think I'm just going to try to continue with what I'm doing.

The only question I have is with heart disease. Both my parents have heart disease, Mom has had 2 heart attacks, first one when she was 57 and Dad has stents in three out of four arteries. Does anyone know if HRT is supposed to help guard against heart disease? I've read conflicting info and I'm confused. With my family history I don't want to take any chances. I've gone through rough times trying to find the right dosage of different meds and I'm not looking forward to doing that again with HRT.
Thanks, Sue
Unread 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Sue,
Since heart disease runs in the family, you really need look into it.
Christian Nortrup, MD's book, The Wisdom of Menopause has a lot on heart health and HRT. Pro's and cons. It is a great resource.
Good luck!
Unread 08-29-2006, 12:33 PM

This is a good article on whether one should take hrt for heart disease prevention:

http://heartdisease.about.com/librar.../aa072300a.htm

There is a lot we can do to prevent heart disease, like keep our weight down, build muscle, exercise, and eat low fat and not trans fat diet to keep arteries open and cholestorol down.

s
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:02 PM

I had tah/bso because of endo so I do not want to take any hormones
I did get some estroven that my dr recommended
will let you know how it is
I have been taking calcium and vitamins for years and I have also been on Prozac for several years
so far just a few hot flashes and night sweats
not much irritablity or mood swings either
Unread 08-29-2006, 09:07 PM

I can't take HRT because I'm a heart patient and they are known to possibly cause blood clots. There are some issues with not taking HRTs, like osteoporosis. I guess you especially lose bone mass the first year. I guess being off the hormones also has issues with cardiovascular disease, even tho being on them can cause a heart attack or stroke. The best thing of course is to discuss everything with ur doc if you can. The docs plan to keep a close eye on these issues with me, but it's better to do that than to give me the hormones. I go in for my baseline bone density scan tomarrow, I see my cardiologist every 6 months, etc. Even some of the 'natural' remedys have risks (like black cohosh might cause blood clots too). Besides talking to ur doc, I believe in self-education.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register