TLH Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy? Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy?

Unread 07-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy?

Are you able to go back to work before your post op visit with your doctor? (I'm 5wks in) I haven't seen my doctor yet and I'm getting antsy.

Not to mention.......
I don't remember anything the doctor talked to me about after my surgery. I guess I was still out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Re: Back to work

Depends on your workplace. My boss is a two-time cancer survivor. She told me that if I showed up back at work *without* my doctor's clearance, she have someone throw me into her car to be driven home.

When are you due to see your doc? If it's not for some weeks yet, can you call and ask about returning to work? Be sure to describe to your doctor what you do physically on your job.
Unread 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM

Did your dr tell you in your pre op how long you would be off? If not, I agree, call and ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM

Depends partly on you, partly on what kind of surgery you had, and partly on what kind of work you do.

If my boss wouldn't let me return to work, I'd look for another job, or something temporary.

Dora
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:16 AM

I'm due back 9/2. My job is very physical. I run all year round children's programs, ages 5-17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Depends on your workplace. My boss is a two-time cancer survivor. She told me that if I showed up back at work *without* my doctor's clearance, she have someone throw me into her car to be driven home.

When are you due to see your doc? If it's not for some weeks yet, can you call and ask about returning to work? Be sure to describe to your doctor what you do physically on your job.
Im
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
Did your dr tell you in your pre op how long you would be off? If not, I agree, call and ask!
Thanks
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villandra View Post
Depends partly on you, partly on what kind of surgery you had, and partly on what kind of work you do.

If my boss wouldn't let me return to work, I'd look for another job, or something temporary.

Dora
Eh, by the time you found another job, you'd probably have clearance for your first one.
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM

I had the laparoscopic but Ive been in pain (I think I over did it). I'm due back 9/2. My job is very physical. I run all year round children's programs, ages 5-17.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post

Unread 08-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Re: Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen72 View Post
I'm due back 9/2. My job is very physical. I run all year round children's programs, ages 5-17.
That *is* pretty physical, so you want to make sure you're ready. 9/2 will be almost 10 weeks after your surgery, though, so it's a pretty good bet that you will be.

Do you have any appointments booked with your doctor during August?

Also, how are you feeling? I know that myself, at five weeks I could get out and walk several miles, including on hills, and comfortably lift up to 30 lbs. My doc said wait until six weeks before trying to lift more than that and then start off gradually and cautiously. My body agreed.

One thing I can tell you: if you don't do much physical activity for some weeks and then try to throw yourself back into it all at once, you're going to be in trouble.

What I'd suggest is that you start *gradually* ramping up your physical activity over the next month so that when you start work on 9/2, it's not so much of a shock for your body.
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Re: Need doctor's clearance for back to work post hysterectomy?

I needed clearance to work.
What I did is I set up an appointment one week before I was due to go back to work. The doctor did an exam and cleared me.
Mind you - I was very fit before surgery and thought going back to work would be a piece of cake.
After half the day I had pain and was about to cry ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register