Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision

Unread 03-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision

It is two weeks after surgery and I'm feeling better. The first week was challenging, trying to get comfortable. I think I tried to do more than I should've. When I went back for removal of staples I had a hematoma. My dr was upset and advised me to try and relax and get more rest. I'm the type of person that can't sit for long, busy busy busy. After that visit, I decided to sit my behind down and enjoy the papering I've been resting more since then. I still have some swelling in my legs and feet. It's not as bad as it was before surgery. Trying to make sure I stay on schedule with meds and watch what I eat since I'm not moving around as much. I feel some hardness around the area of the incision, I don't know if that's normal. Has anyone experienced this? Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Re: Two weeks after surgery

Hi, just put a call into your dr to ease your mind. A hardness, its possible its another hemotoma, but your body may absorb it. Your Dr can better determine.

Little walks inside, then rest & rotate thru the day. The recovery process is difficult to sit & do nothing. Week 2-3 youll feel a bit better but dont push yourself, this is when set backs are more frequent. Week 4 will be better & week 5 youll feel almost back to normal.

I asked my Dr how much can I do at my 2 week appt. She said just rest. That wasnt what i wanted to hear. I had a set back week 2&3 with extreme fatigue, pains again, mire swelling & it took me a week to bounce back. So dont push yourself.

Feel better
Unread 03-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision

I wanted to say thank you for your words of encouragement and for obtaining information in regards to the hardness I'm experiencing. That means alot. I hope ur doing better as well, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
I wanted to say thank you for your words of encouragement and for obtaining information in regards to the hardness I'm experiencing. That means alot. I hope ur doing better as well, thanks again
No problem Thundercat, thats what we are all here for, to pull each other out of this hysterectomy issue.

Im 8 weeks + feeling pretty good. Just little things here & there w fatigue that hits me when Im too active. Still some swelly belly comes on at the end of the day. Just trying to get back to normal. Check out my other posts to see some things to possibly expect on recovery.

Take care!
Unread 03-07-2016, 03:58 AM

Are you back to work yet? I'm worried that after the six weeks if I'll be ready to go back to my job. I do alot of bending lifting and standing. I guess I'll have to see how I feel by then. How do u know outside of the dr saying it's ok
Unread 03-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Re: Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision

Im supposed to be back to work! Im self employed & Im on a big project that I really need to get going. I get some brain fog & fatigue that comes over me later in the day. If I over do it now, I get fatigue & swelly belly. Im still wearing my ab binder during the day.

My surgery was TAH, I was originally told my recovery would be 8 weeks bc I had enlarged uterus due to fibroids. My legs are strong so even after surgery I was able to squat to pick things up. Sit up/down was hard bc abs were sore. I was able to bend at week 5. At my 6 week appointment my Dr told me to still take it easy. Overall, I feel pretty good, just need get back to normal.

My Dr told me at week 6 to start off lift 5 lbs. & if I feel OK, no sensations, no pulls, then i can try 10 lbs & so on. Anytime I feel uncomfortable, to stop. When she mentioned 5 lbs, I thought Oh my, at week 5, I picked up my 20 lb cat! I didnt have a problem.

On 3/5 I had to go thru some of my mom's belongongs. She passed away right bf my surgery.. I really didnt want to. I wasnt mentally up to it & I didnt want to over exert myself. I was bending & lifting some boxes & clothes. I then had a 2 hour drive home. That nite & the next day, I felt some tingling sensations internally at my abs. So, Id say it was a little too much.

The whole time post op- any time I would get more aches, pains, any sensations, fatigue or swelly belly, Id realize that I was over doing it. Talk to your Dr about your physical activity at work.

Take care.. Let us know your progress.
Unread 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM

Hello sister,
I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. You r a strong lady, I admire you. I know this time is not easy for you. I send my prayers to you.
Unread 03-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Re: Two weeks after hysterectomy - some swelling in legs and feet; hardness around incision

Thank you, sister Thundercat! I really appreciate the kindness & prayers. In some twisted way, this hysterectomy had consumed me & probably kept me from breaking down.

I hope you're feeling better. You should notice improvement at week 4! Im sending a hug to you.
Unread 03-11-2016, 01:13 AM

Hi Lailastar,
How r u doing these days. I hope you are getting better each day. I wish you continued healing and strength. My prayers and hugs to you.
Unread 03-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
Hi Lailastar,
How r u doing these days. I hope you are getting better each day. I wish you continued healing and strength. My prayers and hugs to you.
Hi Thundercat,

I'm getting better, I definitely notice improvement this week with stamina as I havent had the wave of fatigue hit me this week nor have I taken a nap the past 4 days. 2 days ago, I had a day full of laundry, I was running the washer & dryer like a mad woman! I was jumping up every 45 minutes, then I folded & hung up clothes. All this while I was doing work on the computer. At the end of the day, I cooked dinner & cleaned up. I had swelly belly at end of the day, but no aches or pains! So I think Im handling a lot more.

I miss my mom, but she's no longer in pain, so I hold onto that. My mom's friend told me to remember the good times & that really helps. So if I start to feel down, I quickly rember a good memory & it makes me smile

And how are you feeling Thundercat? You should notice improvement in just a few more days. The 4th week is when I felt like I made progress. You'll probably reflect back & realize you've actually made a lot of progress. I think for me, activity then rest, & rotating that throughout the day helped me with recovery.

Again, Thundercat, I want to thank you for your kindness & thoughtfulness.. it really means a lot! Im sending many hugs & well wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register