Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: Scared Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: Scared

Unread 11-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: Scared

I'm scared having LH or VH on Wednesday depending on scar tissue from two c sections. I've scared myself by watching you tube videos and just worrying. I'm confused as to what to buy for foods for after? Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Re: Scared

It's normal to be scared. Take your recovery one day at a time. I found it got worse before it got better because your bowels and bladder are healing as well and can be extremely painful.
In regards to food I would say fresh fruits and veggies to get the fiber and your bowels moving again. Make sure you get stool softeners. I had another sister on the site tell me to drink kiefer. It is a yogurt like drink in the dairy isle it is a pro bionic and I felt it helped my intestines heal.

Soups and oatmeal anything you can pop in the microwave is great because the first week home all I did was graze and doze. Best of luck to you. I am 7 months post op and all going great my recovery, sex, hormones. I feel so much better. I am sorry I waited so long to do it I was very scared as well. God Bless.
Unread 11-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexymississippi View Post
I'm scared having LH or VH on Wednesday depending on scar tissue from two c sections. I've scared myself by watching you tube videos and just worrying. I'm confused as to what to buy for foods for after? Any suggestions
I'm so glad you posted this. I go in on Monday and I have a pretty severe case of adenomyosis so I can't wait...but now that I'm almost there I'm getting the jitters.

I heard that sometimes they order clear liquids even at home, and I tend towards a sensitive stomach so I stocked up on jello, ginger ale, cola, and lemon-lime soda. Also made some bone broth from an organic chicken and put it in the freezer. A dear friend stopped by this morning with black bean and quinoa soup for helping with constipation later in the week. (LOVE her! *LOL*)

I want this surgery but it's starting to feel real, and it's starting to feel odd that I'll leave the house Monday morning with a uterus (no matter how dysfunctional she is) and come home Tuesday with a big space in my belly.

Anyway, thanks again for posting how you really feel. You're awesome, and I know you can do it!!!

Big fat squeezy hugs!
MrrsFrenchie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexymississippi View Post
Oh Sister, I feel your pain. I made the same mistake and watched those videos and FREAKED OUT. Take some deep breaths. You can't unsee what you've seen but remember you're in good hands and many, many women have gone before you and done well. Please don't watch any more of them!

As far as foods go, I can't remember wanting or not wanting anything specific. If you'll be making your own meals, you'll of course want some simple and easy things available.

I hope the next few days go quickly for you and that your surgery goes well!
Unread 11-06-2016, 04:26 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: Scared

I agree that you should stop watching all those YouTube videos, and anything else on the internet, other than on this site. They usually show the worst case scenario, intended to dissuade women from having hysterectomies, even when they're medically necessary. As for foods to have on hand, what helped to get my bowels moving included peppermint tea, prunes and prune juice, frozen cherries, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate. I would also recommend buying ingredients for casseroles and other dishes you can make ahead and freeze, then just pop in the microwave for a quick and easy meal. Some other sisters have reported a diminished appetite after their surgery, so a meal replacement would also be a good idea; my personal pick is Vega One, which has added probiotics, and can be purchased at any health food store, or major supermarket. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 11-06-2016, 06:47 AM

I live alone, so I stocked up on foods that could be eaten with little or not preparation - fruit, yogurt, bread, peanut butter, canned and frozen food, etc.

My appetite was a bit wonky after surgery, so I ate frequent "healthy snacks" instead of regular meals. The first week my body wanted fruit, yogurt, peanut butter on toast and canned lentil soup, so that's what I ate. The second week, veggie omelets tasted good.
Unread 11-06-2016, 08:30 AM

I had very severe adenomyosis, with my uterus the size of a cantaloupe (should be a pear).

For a few days after, my appetite was very little, and it felt like I had done 1000 sit-ups. Straining on the toilet would be an issue, so I took stool softeners for about a week (thanks to the hystersisters before me who had posted to do so!).

As for foods, the others have given you great advice. Soups, sandwiches, easy-to-digest stuff. Honestly, I was so un-hungry, that I ended up living on Ensure for about a week. Nothing seemed appealing. I wasn't in any pain, but I had extreme lethargy. So I'd sip on an Ensure, which would take me about an hour to finish. Unfortunately, lol, my appetite came back with a vengeance.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register