Don't let yourself get dehydrated - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't let yourself get dehydrated Don't let yourself get dehydrated

Unread 11-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't let yourself get dehydrated

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better and that you have a good friend to help you through this. She sounds like a very special person. Keep enjoying that soup!

I'm so sorry about your cousin. That is very sad. I'll say some prayers for your family.

I just noticed where you live. I have an aunt, uncle, and two cousins (and their families) that live there! Small world.

Please take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing whenever you are able.

Mich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!as a note to all the sisters I was starting to get dehydrated yesterday when i went in for my 2week post op.I have a bladder/kidney infection and I really was hurting for me to go pee so I had not been drinking enough so i would not have to pee as often(DUMB thing to do)my doc told me that she did not care what i drank as long as i drank a lot of it and it was not alcholic in nature.Water is best but i can't stand to drink it after having to drink all most 9liters of it a day when i was in iraq,so I am now drinking lots of carnberry juice and hot tea and gatorade and also I have been drinking a lot of coffee.The coffee make me pee a lot and now it seems the more often i go the less it hurts.So please please drink what ever sounds good to you and drink lots of it!your life could depend on it.
Unread 11-15-2007, 11:32 PM

wow I really hope your feeling lots better!
Please try to eat and drink ! Take good care of yourself!
Sounds like you really had a close call!
Please know im sending you good thoughts and prayers!
please let us know how your doing! And thanks for sharing your warning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Update Friday Nov.16
Everyone I speak to by phone says I sound a whole lot better. I saw my neighbor who took me to the hospital and she said I have some color in my face again. The food thing is going better. I'm still having probs w/drinking. Nothing feels good going in. I don't look forward to drinking anything. I got a severe caffeine w/drawal h/a yesterday, so I'm forcing a cup of coffee down this am, which will make me a little dehydrated. Any yummy suggestions for things to drink besides water?
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Do you like hot drinks?I have found that clestal seasonings(sp?)makes a tea called tension tamer that has a light minty,citrus flavor is very calming and helps me relax.For cold drinks (which I am not crazy about since they hurt my tummy right now)I have found that white grape juice has a light crisp flavor and water with some lemon in it taste better than plain water.I have also been eating popsciles a lot.(I know my spelling is bad)my doc recomedned gatorade but it just dosent taste right right now.Hope this helps,
Lots of hugs
Unread 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

wow...I am so glad you've gotten through this. At 84 pounds, you don't have a lot of wiggle room in terms of fluids, a little too little and you're going to be dehydrated right away.

I am liking those little packets of Crystal Lite (or any other brand) that you put right into your water bottle. This way I don't have a half-gallon of the same flavor, so I can pick what I feel like. Makes drinking so much easier!
Unread 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Thankyou for all of the suggestions. I made a smoothie for lunch and shared it w/my 9 yr old son. It was good. I bought some good tea yesterday, so I will have a cuppa' that. I forgot about Crystal light. I have some of the tea variations. I think they have caffeine, which may put me behind again. I hate Gatorade and have 2 containers of it. I think I'll use it for my smoothies. Hot cocoa gags me- too sweet.
I had enough energy to take my pup to the groomer and to go buy a top and grocery shop. That's a lot for me right now. I should take a nap. I'm not sleeping well, though. My hands and legs are so wriggly or antsy. I don't know how to explain, but I can't lie still. I've gotten kicked out of my bed 2 nights in a row now. I took a full Benadryl, my prescription sleep pill and a muscle relaxer last night and still had to sleep on the sofa. I don't know if it's a withdrawal from pain pills or dehydration related. Oh well, so be it, right? Hugs, Michelle
Unread 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Can you drink Ensure or Slim-fast shakes, maybe blended with some ice to "water them down" so they aren't so sweet-tasting? They are quite tasty, and also very nutritious.

Hope you continue to improve.
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM

As a fellow gluten-avoider, I understand your issues. While I don't have full-blown celiac, we all live gluten- and soy-free in my house. My daughter has a severe soy allergy, and it's nearly bio-identical in protein structure to the gluten protein....

I also understand your dehydration -- I just went through that myself, with my most recent hospital stay for the abscess. They were forcing fluids into me so quickly and forcefully that they kept blowing my veins. My arms look like chopped meat at the moment.

So recommendations for you -- DEFINITELY stay away from all caffeine, watermelon and lemon juice -- they're diuretics. Also, black tea can cause anemia. I too detest gatorade. I can only tolerate the light purple flavor, which reminds me of Purplesaurus Rex kool-aid (grape lemonade) from childhood, so I've been drinking that. Also, remember that fresh fruit has good moisture, and bananas in particular are an excellent source of potassium, which you will need to bring that heart rate down.

I also went five days without eating, and don't have any extra wiggle room to lose weight (i'm not underweight, but I don't want to lose any either). Nothing sounded good to me either. HOWEVER, I am on some serious big-guns with regards to antibiotics right now and MUST eat with them, which has me on a sort of odd eating schedule. I'm eating yogurt, not because it's tasting good, but to keep from developing yeast infections from the meds. I also keep forcing myself to eat burger patties with cheese, because I need the iron, and then I'm having an orange to help boost the absorption. I'm not enjoying eating at all at this point, but it's a necessity.

About the only thing that always tastes good to me is the Edy's whole fruit bars - in LIME flavor. I don't like any of the berries or other flavors, because I don't like the sweet. The lime cuts through sickie-mouth (as I call it), and is non-nauseating. I know the last thing I wanted was a shake of some kind.... if you have a Jamba Juice nearby, and Acai smoothie might hit the spot -- again, tangy and non-nauseating.

I hope this helps a little. I know it's not much. I've just been forcing it in, myself, and that's about all I can recommend to you too. I will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well.
Dina
Unread 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Dear Idahonurse,

Wow !!!! My prayers are with you. I do hope you find something you can tolerate to eat/drink . The Jamba juice suggestion sounds good to me.

I was just opposite of you when I was inthe hospital they referred to me as the "water-girl" but then took it away from me for half a day (well not all of it, but they would just leave water with me), they said that was why I getting sick from the morphine or maybe I was peeing too much.

I have found that if you put cucumbers in water and let it sit for a while has a nice refreshing taste, not too strong, ust refreshing.

Good luck to you,

Barri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register