Comments starting to wear me down.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Comments starting to wear me down.. Comments starting to wear me down..

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Comments starting to wear me down..

I know people mean well when they "talk" to me.. but if I have to hear 1 more time "You know you are lucky..." I will explode. How did I not get that all this is just LUCK.. phew .. what was I thinking?

And to top it off.. I was talking to my aunt last night and she said "I know you won't admit it.. but you have to be falling into a depression..."

Why would I be depressed when I am so lucky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM

Hey, easy for me to say but blow them all off. You sound like you have a good attitude. I wish I knew of a nice but effective retort to these people, but they probably wouldn't get it anyway. So, you lucky girl, just smile at these people and say nothing!!!!!!! It may throw them off and then they will be quiet........maybe?
Unread 02-01-2008, 09:30 AM

I can feel you on the "your lucky, no more period for you" comment. I just swept it under the rug as much as I could. Deep down I only wished I could be "normal" like them. It's kinda like woo hoo I am 34 and in menapause. I have been sentenced to a life of trying to work out my hormones. Don't get me wrong I feel 100% better since I woke up from surgery. But the "lucky" I am not seeing lol.
I see you are a few years younger than me. If you keep friends that are your age, and they have not had serious female issues. They would still wish their period away. It is different when you are faced with a life altering surgery.
If the people that are making the comments have not had a Hyserectomy they don't really know what they are talking about.

I have kinda rambled. I do hope that you can take their comments with a grain of salt. You may want to explain to them that being Lucky is winning the lottery

Best Wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Lucky, yeah. I can see it. Lucky to have to undergo a serious, major abdominal surgery. Lucky to have to endure the discomfort of the healing process if you have abdominal cuts. Lucky to potentially have to spend the remainder of your life trying to keep your hormones level and in check. Oh, yeah. You're lucky.

You are in fact better than lucky. You will soon be part of a group that no longer has to endure painful, long, or otherwise miserable periods. That is the one saving grace of having this procedure done. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to have had the procedure and wouldn't change it if I could. But, mine was easy as was (and is) my recovery. I do know that some are not as "lucky" as me and I sincerely feel for them. But overall, I would not say we are lucky. Just no longer suffering.

Now, after all my babbling I kind of lost track of the original post. Hang on a sec while I re-read it. OK. Now I got it. People do mean well, but just don't understand. Just smile, nod and walk away.
Unread 02-01-2008, 09:55 AM

I am sorry people have to say this kind of stuff. I think people just have no idea. I have had several girlfriends say to me who have no female problems, "Gosh, I want a hysterectomy. I don't want another period anymore, and I don't want to ever have to worry about birth control. You are so lucky!" For me, I am keeping my ovaries, but still.... this IS life changing. I am not sure I'd recommend people to "just get a hysterectecomy".

Well... people are people.... I just let it go in one ear and out the other. I know it's hard to do that, but until these people can walk in your shoes, they will never understand. In all honesty, I THINK these people are just trying to be nice, and trying to show their support, even though it may not seem like it. I think when my friends say to me, "I'm so lucky", I think they truly mean that. And, when someone says to me, "I'm lucky", I take it as they are supportive of me.

To be honest, before my female issues even started, I do remember thinking off and on, "I wish I didn't have to deal with periods". I'm an athlete, and for an athlete, periods area a hassle.... but now that I'm going through all of this, I realize that this is a really big deal to give up my period (of course I'm NOT doing this to give up my periods.... I'm doing this to get my LIFE back!). So, I think people just do not at all understand.

As for the depression comment.... wow.... now THAT is not supportive and a comment I would not want to hear. I'm sorry you are hearing stuff like this. You just have to be strong and ignore it.

Hang in there!
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:00 AM

I've been very selective in telling people what I'm getting done. To everyone else, "I'm taking time off to have surgery done."

Other than a comment from my idiot sister to our mother ("oh I think she's just getting it done so she doesn't have to have her period anymore"), I've received well wishes.

If someone said I was lucky, I'd probably reply with "thanks, but not exactly lucky to NEED this" and leave it at that if I didn't feel comfortable going into further detail with them.

Best of luck to you...be strong and try to stay positive. This site is an awesome source of support!!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM

I am just getting sooo tired of hearing it.. I mean saying that to a hormonal woman w/an upcoming hysteroctomy is like poking a bear with a stick..LOL

but what can be expected of woman who have never had a flow last more than 3 days ,a twinge they call cramps or having a "heavy" period and having to wear a pad instead of a liner.. ..........

I just needed to gt it off my chest

Thanks girls

Hey I should get a lottery ticket for tonight.. test my luck..
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Well, personally, I do feel lucky.

It took me 8 weeks to recover, but I will no longer have 21 day periods where i have menstrual anemia. I have no more pain that sends me doubled over with a heating pad for 2 days. No more 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours, alternating with tylenol. No more painful intercourse (Yippee!). I will never have to double up on overnight pads, or sleep with a towel between my legs. I will no longer have to change my super tampon and pad every hour and a half.

My uterus is gone - and for that I feel lucky. There are so many women around the world, who deal with horrible cycles every day. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I am lucky that I feel normal again.
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Yes, people are entertaining sometimes. The only thing that helped me with those kinds of comments was keeping my condition in perspective. As bad as mine was I knew it could be far worse. I needed a TAH for fibroids, not any kind of cancer. Even though I had several cancer scares that were hard to handle I lucked out while a dear relative did not. So "lucky" may be dependent upon perspective.
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM

I honestly don't think people mean anything bad by it - they're probably just trying to see the 'bright side'. Its like when you're newlywed and have to endure hearing "so how's married life treating you ?" 4 to 10 times a day. Its annoying as heck but I sure its usually meant with love.

There's also some truth - I DO feel lucky. I'm lucky that I have medical coverage that will allow me to take care of the issues I've been having and that there is a procedure that can help improve the quality of my life again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register