questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-03-2002, 03:44 AM
questions

I go on the fourth of April, but have had trouble getting logged on so no time for much jitters, though I am a nervous wreck and truly hoping I will feel better as all others I have spoken to state "life is about to begin for you". Doctor also very confidant that I will be a "new woman" and insists the HRT will make me feel really good again too. I feel a part of my life is over and yes I mourn (or have been) the loss of my reproductive parts. I have pelvic congestion syndrome, stage two uterine recto prolapse, and a very bad appendix. So really "no brainer" as to the need for the surgery. As to the questions re doctor. I had as many as you or more. I can only think of two, what will be used to put me under? What medicines have been ordered for pain, nausea, gas, and how often, and will I have to wait for you to give orders, or is it prearranged? What pain medicine prescribed for when I get home? I was all set to INSIST on the morphine drip, till doctor told me you have to be awake to despense it yourself, and that you only get six minutes of relief per pump. She said virtually all her patients and herself for her own hyster, opted for the darvosett or demerol shots (forget which and need to ask again) as they last three to four hours once injected allowing for MORE relief and more sleeping time. I am still a tad nervous, as everyone on this site SWEARS by the morphine drip. However the dr was pretty convincing that I would be happier with the injections and told me they would be "pre ordered" and this isn't a really understaffed hospital so no waiting should occur. I still don't fully understand why pain med can't be dispensed through the iv, but apparently it is MORE effective given as a muscular injection. Good luck to you, and any one with input re my "what pain med" dilema please respond pdq. Any other suggestion as to what type home care supplies needed would help too. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 04:38 AM
Questions

Wildwood - You're going to hear this over and over again. Listen to your doctor and trust yourself. (I know -- it's a balancing act.) And just as important, the only person to speak up for you is you (and your partner when you're "knocked out").

I also had a Stage 2 prolapse which affected both bladder & rectum including pain during intercourse. I had the PCP (Patient Controlled Pump?) and it was explained to me that pain relief came much sooner than if they gave me a shot. There was only 1 hour about 12 hours after surgery that my pain seemed more intense, but my back really was hurting as much, if not more than my front. It all went away though after a matter of time.

As far as being awake to push the button -- it seemed that there was little sleep in the first 36 hours after because I was having nightmares from the drugs. As soon as I'd start sleeping, the horrible dreams would come and I would wake up again. I felt MUCH better after I got home and (after 3 days of more drugs) just took Extra Strength Tylenol. Sleep was still difficult, but no nightmares!

I was on HRT before the surgery, but my ovaries were "mis-firing" (as good a word as I could find) and making my emotions rollercoaster. Now that I'm a new person, I am very much more level. I still keep waiting for the "evil me" to pop out, but it hasn't happened yet!

My prayers will be with you all day today, that you find peace during your wait, and all day tomorrow, that God guides your dr's hands to work miracles.
s
Unread 04-03-2002, 04:40 AM
questions

I know I've read posts by sisters who have had shots instead of the pump. If you go to the top of the page, to the purple buttons, click on the one that says "search" and type in either darvocet or demerol and it will give you a list of threads where this is discussed.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 08:21 AM
questions

If I had to do it again, I'd go for the shots. But that's because the morphine didn't control my pain as well as I had hoped. My surgery was done in the afternoon and by early the next morning I asked them to remove the pump because the morphine made me naseaus (spelling?). I was then on percocet (oral), but I wish my doctor had ordered demerol injections. My nurse told me that it's been her experience that the injections are much more effective than the pump. The percocet helped, but I was still very uncomfortable for a few days.

At any rate. the only thing that matters is that your pain is controlled, and what works for some people doesn't work for others. If your doctor orders the injections and they don't work well, tell the nurses. They should call your doctor and your meds should be changed until you are comfortable.

Good luck!!!

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Dear wildwood

hon I had the shot in my IV I sleep good
had no pain
didn't get sick to my belly
I don't know what it was that they gave me I just know that they came in every so often and gave me something in my I V
and I loved it
hugs ladypeewee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register