Need a biology lesson | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need a biology lesson Need a biology lesson

Unread 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Need a biology lesson

Or whatever science we are.. hahaha. Ok.. so dh and I were talking last night and I really started pondering the whole ovary being left. If it isn't connected to anything now how is it stillable to function and survive.. I'm positive many of you here have the answer but it stumped me. I'm thinking it's just a little ovary floating around in there (although I know there's nothing actually floating.. but you catch my drift). Anyway, anyone know the science of how it's still able to hang in there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Need a biology lesson

Hi Danielle!

I believe your body's ligaments keep it in place. Don't worry...it won't travel to distant parts of your body.

I hope you continue to have a good recovery!

Many s to you,
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Need a biology lesson

Anatomy 101 coming up! Your ovary is supported by the broad ligament as one means of support and the drawing in this link might be helpful: http://training.seer.cancer.gov/ss_m...1_anatomy.html.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Need a biology lesson

I asked my doctor the same question at my staple removal appointment. He said that he had done the same thing that Weiser said. He added that there is some sort of muscle left from the uterus as well that he anchored the ends of the fallopian tubes to.
I also read that some doctors anchor it to the cervix if it is left, so I guess there are multiple options. Thanks for the drawing Weiser, that was really great!! So glad we're all doing such similar things and having similar feelings, really makes me feel great knowing you guys are out there!
Unread 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Need a biology lesson

Danielle,

This was something I wanted to know and finally got the chance to ask at my appt today.
Like our two wonderful hostesses had said the ligaments have a play in them. From my experience and what I was told today, they "anchored" mine to ligaments to keep them from floating around (even though they are still flopping around).
Just remember you can always ask your doc what they did with them at your post op.
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Need a biology lesson

I knew I could count on you ladies for an education! hahaha.. just had to get that one answered.. just started seeming odd to me! Thank you!
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Need a biology lesson

I've been searching the past posts to figure out what each month's cycle is going to be like post-op. I'm sure I'll still ovulate, have PMS hormonal changes, but what happens to the eggs? Someone mentioned still having mini-periods? Hope not! Any info on this would be great! I don't have my post-op Dr appt until 1/17.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register