7 weeks post op and overdoing it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks post op and overdoing it 7 weeks post op and overdoing it

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
7 weeks post op and overdoing it

I am 7 weeks post op and started having tannish discharge when I went back to work a week ago. My doctor told me I'm overdoing it. Went to see my GP today for a bone density test and asked about pain meds as I ran out a long time ago, but am having a lot of pain now that I'm at work. I told her my surgeons don't want to give me any, but that I could talk to her about it. She said the surgeons don't want me on pain meds because pain is my body's way of letting me know I am doing too much and need to back off. I told her I'm trying, but it's kind of hard when I'm now the only support person in the office. I told her the boss said something me today, and I told him the only reason I was even there at all was because I'm the only one to come in and help or I would have stayed home. I know I'm a slow healer but I do have a high tolerance for pain, so if I say I'm in pain it's because I am. She gave me some pain meds because she knows I'll only take them at night when I get home from work. I was so thankful! I'm glad I have a doctor who knows me well enough to understand. My gyn told me to call back if I'm still having discharge in a week. Somehow, as much as I'd like to think I won't be calling, I have a feeling I will be. My return to work only allowed for me to work less hours for 2 weeks, but that may have to be extended (not like it's worked so far, but nice to have to cover me if needed). Guess I'm frustrated today and ready to be "normal."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Re: 7 weeks post op and overdoing it

You more than likely don't want to hear it but I agree with what your doctors have told you: you are overdoing it and your body is letting you know.

Is there anyway you can work limited hours or part time?? I am concerned that you are going to hurt yourself and do more damage. Is there anyway your company can bring in a temp to cover for you???
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Thank you. It's okay because I've been telling my boss this all week and today. I so wanted to stay home today. I have doctors (both gyn and urology) who wrote me to work 1/2 days if needed, but so far that's not happened. We do have a temp who has been working since the beginning of January on a very limited basis, and unfortunately, there is no one who can cover for me. I am one of those unfortuate (or in this economy some might see it as fortunate) people that I'm the only one who can do the majority of my job and stuff that has to be done. The other person went out on medical leave 2 days after I got back. I almost wish now I would have waited to have this surgery, but honestly had no idea recovery would take this long or be this involved. If I'm not feeling better after the weekend, I'm going back to my surgeons and getting an extension to work shorter hours and putting my foot down about doing it. It's so hard when I don't get paid if I'm off, but I know I've advised a ton of people on here not to push it so I need to take my own advice.

How are you feeling today? I know you've been having a tough time at times, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks Joining:
I am feeling pretty good aside from the night sweats and hot flashes that are kicking my butt. The hot flashes I can handle wear layers but the night sweats are another story. I wake up several times during the night sweating and then I end up cold.
Right now I have a strange sensation about an inch below my belly button--its not pain or anything.
I am going through a rough patch of being unemployed. I got laid off from a state job that I held for 2 and a half years. I really loved it and wham I had no job. So this coming June I will be unemployed for a year. I am worried about getting a new job and if I would be able to physically handle it.
How did you know I was going through rough patches?? I usually tried not to mention it....
I hope it works out for you and your job...
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM

I guess I just "sensed" it, if that makes any sense. Reading between the lines maybe. I am sorry you are having such a rough time, and sometimes all of us need to vent. I certainly understand your concern about being able to handle a job physically. I'm having a hard time with my desk job, but we will get better. I know our state has had to lay people off as well and state workers have had to take furlough days. I used to work for the state, but am afraid to take a job with them now since everything is so unstable. I do see our economy here improving and lots of jobs listed, so I pray that you'll find the job you want soon. I know all about having that job you really love and it's gone, only mine was because of a company merger. It hurts. HUGS and I hope things get better!
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks Joining; I really appreciate it. I am considering not getting a government job at least for now. I might try retail; I just have to wait an see.

Very perceptive of you!

I had also just read a post on here that really threw me for a loop; I am sure you saw it (Blondie) and all the subsequent posts.
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM

If you are in that much pain I agree that you have to find a way to not over do it. If you create adhesions or anything it will only be worse in the end. Please take the time to heal correctly. You only get one chance to do it right. I sure hope you start feeling better soon!!!! Best wishes to you.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:49 AM

Hope your healing speeds up, and try rest more.

HUGS
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks everyone. I was released for full activities by my doctors as they felt I was healing well. They didn't seem concerned about adhesions, but my gyn office told me if I'm still having problems next week to call back. I'm going to have to make a miraculous recovery to not call. I come home from work and do absoluately nothing. DH and DS are doing it all.
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Thats good for you; glad to hear it. Continue to rest and recuperate to take care of yourself.

I went to my doctor for my 6 week post op check today and she told me to resume all my normal activities.

Since you have been working already; did you go back to work full time or part time.? When I am ready to work I am thinking of working as a temp or part time somewhere.

I am kind of scared to resume normal activities since I have not any problems for the past six weeks; I would be concerned I'd create problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register