Clearance to bathe/swim | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clearance to bathe/swim Clearance to bathe/swim

Unread 08-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Clearance to bathe/swim

We have a lovely outdoor hot tub, and I am really missing it and my nightly dip with my DH. I know floating around in the warm water would feel terrific, but I am not sure how long I am supposed to wait (after TAH). It will be 3 weeks for me this Wednesday.

Did anyone specifically ask about bathing or swimming and what were you told?

My steristrips are still holding on, but the incision underneath looks fully closed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Re: Clearance to bathe/swim

I wouldn't attempt anything until after the six week check and get the 'green light' from the surgeon.
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:15 AM

Hey MrsBunn....I'm 5 weeks out TAH and have not been cleared yet to swim although my family has been bugging me to get in the pool. I go for my 6 week check up this coming Thursday...if I get the green light....I'm jumping...okay, not jumping in really...going down the ladder...getting in the pool and probably not coming out for several days........I've been looking at the pool for weeks and it is stinkin hot here in GA . You could call your doctors office if you are not yet due for an appt...they may give you the go ahead...but I've seen other remarks and looks like the 6 week is a good clearance for many things....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2010, 05:16 AM

my doctor said no submerging for two weeks..... check with your doctor about any question you have. I called my doc with anything I had doubt about. Thats what they are there for. It doesnt end in the Oper. Room with them.
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:12 AM

Be very careful with hot tubs and pools....most people do NOT have the chemicals adjusted right and you could get something very nasty from them. The hot tub especially.

LL
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:52 AM

I was given the OK to float the river at my 2 week post-op (TVH) which I thought was interesting. However, I was expressly told NO PUBLIC POOLS and NO HOT TUBS until my 6 week check verified I was healed up properly. Agree with LisaLouey on the chemicals. I wouldn't risk it.
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Definitely check with your doctor about this. My surgeon let me get in at 2 1/2 weeks, but she had originally said 6 weeks. I had 2 knee replacements in the past year, and the pain from the hyst kept me from standing or walking more than a few minutes. My knees were getting wobbly from lack of exercise and I asked her if I could get in our pool for gentle water walking, because I felt that the support of the water would ease the pain.

The surgeon agreed, but she was insistent that I do it only for short periods at a time. She said that longer soaking could cause the incision to soften up and get infected. I've been going in for 15 minutes at a time (up to an hour total a day) with an inner tube around my waist to keep me from losing my balance and doing any sudden twists. I dry off carefully after each session, even using a hair dryer on the incision. So far, so good. The knees are strong again. I'd love to use our hot tub, too, but I'm saving my water time for exercise.
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM

We are putting in a pool now. It should be done by Aug 20th. My doctor said no getting in until after 4 week appt. He said it may be 6 weeks before it is ok. It's better to be safe. Hugs to all Sister, Tina
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM

agreeing with the rest...you need to ask your doctor what his "rules" are regarding submerging the incision.
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM

My doctor said nothing until 6 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register