A Few Questions (Sorry it's my first post, post-op & a little long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Few Questions (Sorry it's my first post, post-op & a little long) A Few Questions (Sorry it's my first post, post-op & a little long)

Unread 05-24-2012, 04:49 AM
A Few Questions (Sorry it's my first post, post-op & a little long)

My surgery was on May 9th, a TAH ovaries and all. Vertical incision from a little above my belly button allll the way down a little below my waist line into my vaginal area. Everything was fine when i came out i was in the recovery room for about a hour then they moved me back to my room with my mom, family, etc. I didn't feel any pain just asked for LOTION because i took a shower right before they came to get me for the surgery and couldn't put anything on. I despise not having on lotion my skin was sooooo dry!...

Anywho, i was supposed to had got out that Saturday which would have been a 3 day stay but they ended up keeping me until Monday because i was having complications especially with my bowels (i am a partial paraplegic from a gunshot wound almost 3 years ago w/very limited mobility, that's common with my injury), but the surgery made it worst. I had my morphine button for about 2 says before they took it away and started me on percocets.

My question is i STILL have my staples in, and i dont have a appointment to see the doc until June 1st =(. Is it normal to keep them in this long? Or should i call first thing today when the offices open? I was reading up on other posts and ladies saying they got them out in a week or less. Its been 2 weeks and one day since my surgey.

Main problem... These staples are a PAIN, burning, pulling, pinching. I dont mess with or touch them for fear of bacterial infection. All of this Bloating and heaviness in my stomach is making it even worse. I just lay allll day, i get up to use the restroom and wash up (if i have enough energy). The bottom staples have started to leak some from the gas/pressure from my heavy stomach. Its a clearish but yellow stained color? I had my mom check because i was afraid it was infected. It doesn't get much AIR down there as it is but i do keep a clean towel frequently changing it for the discharge. Is this normal? Should i be calling the doc to get in there asap or what? I dread even having to walk or move to even go there these staples are so irritating when i sit up! Oh and also the staples around my belly button are starting to form healing scabs. around them

Just need some advice? Imagine what i'm going through it seems like I've just been suffering for 3 years straight. This is my first surgery ever, the bullet is still in my back from the spinal cord injury so no surgery from that, just alot of nerve pain, healing, physical therapy and depression. I'm a younger hyster sister at 26 yrs of age. Any advice on what to clean it with? Or should i just leave them alone? I sureee wish i can take a nice hot shower but i know i can't =(..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Re: A Few Questions (Sorry it's my first post, post-op & a little long)

Did your doc tell you you couldnt shower? I know he said it was fine for me while I had my stapels in. And the stapels are a pain..I had mine out a week later and it did make some difference. Just use warm water over the stapels and pat them dry..I didnt use any soap and was warned against using a wash rag and then just pay dry carefully to keep from getting anything hung.. Hang in there!
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM

I've not dealt with staples so can't give you an answer to that but I can say that to go ahead and call the doctor's office and ask about them. You pay them enough so I'd think either the dr or the nurse could give you some advice. And if nothing else, reassure you that you are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidik View Post
Did your doc tell you you couldnt shower? I know he said it was fine for me while I had my stapels in. And the stapels are a pain..I had mine out a week later and it did make some difference. Just use warm water over the stapels and pat them dry..I didnt use any soap and was warned against using a wash rag and then just pay dry carefully to keep from getting anything hung.. Hang in there!
Yes they sure did tell me i couldn't shower for 8 freakin weeks! LoL. Well to 'avoid' submerging the area in water. But my mom is my hired aide and she keeps arguing me down about getting in the shower every time i bring i up so i left it alone. I've been washing up. I personally think it wouldn't hurt to take a shower. I know how to be cafeful as to not getting the area on my stomach "soaked" where the staples are but whatever. I'm just concerned about this watery discharge coming outta the staples at the vajayjay area under my stomach the staples are pulling at my skin and i'm starting to see little spots of light blood also now (i do have extra weight on me). It can be that its not getting enough air down there. I lay on my side & the only way to get more oxygen to the area is to lay on my back all day and that's just not comfortable for me. When i bend or sit up that's where all the strain is going. I feel better after i just washed up & around it and applied new dressing. But i'm still gonna call the docs in a minute to see about it. Haven't talked to anyone from there or even gotten checked on since i got discharged on the 14th.

Geesh it feels like it's been alot longer than that!
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM

I got a shower chair from my mom when she had her knee surgery..it has been a life saver for me...i know what my doc said that some discharge was fine, but to call if it got red or looked infected to call..I would definantly ask about the staples..I dont see how you are laying on your side, I have 2 pillows under my knees and 3 behind my head..any other position kills me...Hope you get some answers!! Sorry Im not much help, but just wanted you to know you arent alone!!
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM

I think you should call your doctor. Most people have their staples out at about a week. As far as showering - they had me up day 2 showering, staples and all.
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Call your doctor.

I've had staples three times (3 c-sections) and they came out on day 5 each time. I'm a fast healer and even at day 5 my skin had already grown around a couple of the staples. My doctor removes staples sometime between day 4 and day 6 depending on the patient.
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateStarr View Post
Yes they sure did tell me i couldn't shower for 8 freakin weeks! LoL. Well to 'avoid' submerging the area in water.
Not to submerge it means no baths, not no showers. Showers are fine, in fact, I was told to take a shower every day without fail with an antibacterial soap. In submerged water--like a bath, like, or swimming pool--bacteria can get washed from one part of your body to your incisions or inside your vagina.
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:33 AM

Okay so yesterday (the 29th) I FINALLY got my staples taken out. Needless to say because they waited too long a few hurt like hell to the point of giving me leg spasms (common with spinal cord injuries) ANDDD like 3 at the vaginal area got stuck in my skin so they had to work them out.. Talk about PAIN. I was too through to the point of tears. My parents were there with me. I guess i was just overwhelmed and angry that they waited so long to take them out. I had to wear a ice pack under my belly the whole car ride that's how much pain i was in.

I am sooo RELIEVED words can't express and my stomach feels pretty much back to normal now. They were literally pulling at my skin at the top 4 staples & it looked like railroad tracks. They put some kind of plastic statures? (I believe that's what they are i cant remember) down the incision. some are already starting to come off. But any who, Talked with the doc that did the surgery while there. He basically wants me to take Calcium with Vitamin D because he's concerned about my bone health. Want's me to come see him in 3 weeks but said if everything was going smooth i didn't have to. But he does want to see me me every 3 months mandatory.

Well.......YaY!
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidik View Post
I got a shower chair from my mom when she had her knee surgery..it has been a life saver for me...i know what my doc said that some discharge was fine, but to call if it got red or looked infected to call..I would definantly ask about the staples..I dont see how you are laying on your side, I have 2 pillows under my knees and 3 behind my head..any other position kills me...Hope you get some answers!! Sorry Im not much help, but just wanted you to know you arent alone!!

Yeah i have a shower chair because of my injury i can't stand in the shower anyways. I've been using one for 3 years now, but the one i had the seat was starting to tear and medicaid would only pay for a new one every certain amount of years. But the hospital that did the surgery were kind enough to have a brand new chair delivered before i got home, and also a nice shiny seated walker which i very much needed also.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register