just the TLH ladies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just the TLH ladies just the TLH ladies

Unread 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
just the TLH ladies

How are you feeling? How long was your recovery? I know everyone heals different but I just wanted to talk to the women who have had what I had.

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out but still bleeding and worried. In pain without pain killers. Just want other pov's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Re: just the TLH ladies

I'm 11 weeks. As for the bleeding, I didn't have bleeding after my TLH more like spotting and if I recall correctly that lasted 3 1/2 to 4 weeks and it did lightened up unless I overdid it which I very rarely did. Only once when I went to a family picnic.

I prepared myself by going out each day and walking once my doctor allowed me to which was at my 1 week post-op check-up. He said that as long as I built up slowly I could walk 2 miles. So that was my mission. I truly believed that it helped to restore some of my energy level.

I was released for most activities at 6 weeks. However, I wasn't fully healed...I had a raw spot that needed a little more time and had to have a few silver nitrate treatments. I was fully released by 8 weeks. I do take the advice that I read on here when I was down at 5 weeks and not understanding why I wasn't feeling more "normal" at that point when others in my recovery thread were doing more than I was. I actually printed that particular advice and it hangs by my desk at work now! Here it is: Originally Posted by fritzi64 The slow return to normal can be very frustrating. If you aren't feeling normal yet, it's because you probably shouldn't be. The standard 6-8 weeks of recovery generally refers to the initial recovery from surgery. Full recovery can take up to a full year.

At three months, I was still tiring quite easily. If I did anything outside my normal routine (such as going to a full-day workshop with uncomfortable seating), I would be completely wiped out for the next day. Even at eight months post-op, I was getting occasional swelly-belly, and intestinal gas would cause intense pain in my vaginal cuff. It wasn't until 11 months post-op that I found myself thinking, "Oh, I feel like `me' again."

If you're feeling back to normal, that's great. But if you aren't, well, it simply means that your body is having a normal recovery. Continue to pay attention to what your body is telling you in terms of requiring rest, not vacuuming or pushing the grocery cart, and letting some things go around the house so you can continue healing. Your recovery work is not done yet

I went back to work a week and a half ago and that has been tough. The part time the first week was good. Then the next week was full time and I had no choice but to be on my feet for 8 hours hours straight except for that 30 minute lunch. I came home each night and collapsed. Here I sit with my ice pack on my swelly-belly as I grade papers, and read HysterSisters.

Hang in there it does get better. I noticed improvements each week. The only time that I didn't notice an improvement was last week when I returned full speed ahead to work. If I had the type of job that I could sit at some point I'm certain it would have helped. I have since talked to my principal at school at he is in the process of making some adjustments in my schedule until I'm a little further along.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Thank you so much for the response. I am also bleeding but its more than spotting for over a week now. I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow but I don't think the dr will give me the ok I don't feel ready to but I also don't want to lose my job lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2010, 08:54 PM

Wow, 2 1/2 weeks seems soon to go back to work after major surgery. I know each doctor and each individual is different. For example, my doctor would not even schedule my surgery until I gave up the thought that I could do some of my part time summer work. I kept saying things like, but I can tutor, right? I got a very firm NO! I said, what if my husband carries my bag for me? Again, a very firm NO! After this went on for awhile and I got 7 of those very firm NO's he looked and me and said when you see it my way call me, and then I will be happy to schedule it for you, but I told you absolutely NO work of any kind for 6 weeks!

I do understand that fear of losing your job and I really hope that it does not come to that for you. I hope that you have an understanding boss. Best of luck to you with the bleeding and your job.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM

I am sure they understand but I am a workaholic and I told them 2 weeks. I'm just scared.
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:34 PM

meldiane - is working requiring you to come back before your doctor releases you? or do you think they will replace you if you are not back by a certain date?

Best wishes!

Elaine
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:41 PM

No they actually won't let me come back before a doctors release. I am worried for a few reasons. 1. I have no time to take off 2. I am just worried they will be upset that I am not back when they thought I wld be.
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM

I would give your manager a call tomorrow to discuss unpaid time off and let them know when your doctor expects you can return. That way they can plan for coverage and you are doing all you can to help them cover for you.

Good Luck!

Elaine
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:38 PM

I am 2 weeks post op...I only bled the first night. I went back to work 2 days ago (I run a day care with 12 infants and toddlers) I did have help lifting the kids and I got really tired but I survived. I went to my post op appointment yesterday and was cleared to work and lift 20 pounds or less. I feel really good, better than I have in years but still feel like my insides were juggled and put back and it hurts to empty my bladder but I haven't needed pain meds for 4 days now.
Good luck
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:28 AM

I am almost 8 weeks post op and am nowhere near ready to return to work full time. I thought I would return to work after 4 weeks. I have fought infections and was hospitalized twice this summer. I am hoping to return to work part time in the next two weeks. I am a workaholic as well but my body just can't handle it. Work can wait, your health is more important.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register