Bathroom ? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Re: Bathroom ?

Shellybug and Pechz, everyone heals differently, but the majority of us have experienced the same things. I was 4 days post-op before I gave birth to a 10lb turd (no kidding around, it felt like that)...I was completely impacted, and the doctor had warned me that the Percoset would like constipate me, so I almost became fearful of taking pain meds...I was trying to not strain and the pain of having a bowel movement is still the most pain I have had since coming home.
I can only suggest what I have done. My husband gave me a tiny footstool to bring my knees chest high when I poo, it really helps ease the pushing and keep a warm pillow over your belly to help against straining. I drink water religiously and after the first BM, went BACK to the diet the doctor recommended, even though I thought I was doing well and had resumed eating what my family was. Clear liquids, apple juice, oj w/ pulp, jello, yogurt, light soups (I love Campbells soup in hand creamy tomato), oatmeal...nothing heavy. I take Colace twice a day and use Milk of Magnesia cherry.
I am pooping more normally now, nearly 3 weeks post op, but still have cramping and pain whenever I go. Don't try to hold it in, it will only make it worse (my first one I spent 1 1/2 hours on the john), impacting can become serious enough to need to go to the ER, you don't want that. Suppositories are an option, as is an enema, if you can manage it. Just relax and remember that stress makes it all worse...keep sipping that water and juices and keep your diet light. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2013, 07:24 PM

I am having the same sharp pain when I need to go. It doesnt matter if the stool is hard or soft, it feels like I am giving birth to my colon! The pain comes in waves and hit me like very sharp contractions. All I can do is breath through it and wait for it to ease. It is really that painful! I really dread having bowel movements now. I am only a week out of surgery and I didn't even start going until two days ago. The first one was one massive poo after not going for six days, produced by taking milk of magnesia. (sorry TMI) I take stool softeners and eat fiber every day. I really hope this pain passes soon! I did have some additional ligament repairs done and I imagine things are pushing on stitches and sore parts inside. I will call my doctor next week if it doesn't ease up because it is extremely painful!
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM

I stopped taking my pain meds and have been on just over counter meds when needed so i wouldnt be stopped up. I learnt that lesson the hard way when i had a breast reduction and didnt go for three weeks. I just thought three weeks out my colon would start easing up on me for pete sake i gave it more move to breath with the removal of my uterus. What else does it want my spleen. I am going to call my dr monday and see what they suggest i start fall semester monday and not a fan of sitting in public bathrooms for thirty minutes trying to poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:22 PM

I thought I held the record for taking the longest time for the first BM at an hour and 15 minutes! I wasn't even sure I had to go 'cause I hadn't resumed all my normal "feelings" 3 days post op but I thought I'd try. So I told my family not to wait to start their dinners in case I took a "little longer" in the bathroom than usual. An hour later my husband knocked on the door to make sure I was still alive. I was. I had finished two crossword puzzles while I waited. It was easier to wait since I put crossword puzzle books and a pencil behind each toilet in the house. I get bored waiting! Anyway what I wasn't doing was pushing and I think that's the way to go until our beautiful new insides are all healed up. Another thing I've been doing to help get more regular while not getting trapped in the pain/medication/constipation merry-go-round is alternating Tylenol with the Percocet or using half a Percocet before the pain gets too big. It's challenging to get and stay regular!
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM

I'm week 4 post op. I was told that if I wasn't moving my bowels every day to take a stool softener and if that didn't work to call my dr. If you're not moving your bowels every day it is contributing to your discomfort. Do not wait too long to find relief. Take care of ourselves ladies!
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Bathroom ?

I finally had my first the BM on day 6. just before it happened I broke out into a cold sweat and sat down in my kitchen floor because I thought I was going to faint. for about 10 minutes I was really afraid and thought maybe it was my antibiotic medication because I didn't have any food in my stomach at or maybe it was my new estrogen pill I started taking I didn't know. I was able to finally get up and start making myself breakfast and then realized I needed to go to the bathroom. I finally had my BM and thank goodness it was not painful it was very smooth and not to be gross, but the largest BM I ever had my life!! and the biggest relief of my life.......
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:11 PM

You need to take a softener girl. I had to cause it wasnt going to get started on its own. My Dr said the meds all slow down your inner workings and it takes a while after you get off the pain killers for it all to act normal, I took softener and my stomach still felt like a pin ball machine during bms,
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechz View Post
I am on day 5 post- op. and no BM yet. Is this normal? Now I'm afraid to have one after reading these posts.
I'm with you on that. Today is day 5 for me. I want to go to get it over with.
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM

I did a number 2 a couple of days after coming home. It seemed as if the only way I was able to even pass gas was to stand up which wasn't easy. When I finally went, it was difficult. It took me 30-45 minutes of me playing spades and pinochle sitting there relaxing. Not to be too graphic but it seemed to have stopped when it was on its way out so I had no choice but to help out a little. That wasn't a good idea* of fear of breaking the stitches as well as the pain. I took the stool softener the doc told me to take and ate a lot if fiber and drunk a lot of water. I have gone one time a day since but the pain doesn't go away. I never took the percocet but the doc gave me a pill similar to ibuprofen 600.
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM

I'm 25 days pot-op and still irregular and gassy. I've had the most success with the glycerin suppositories when the stool softeners, water, and walking didn't work. If 4 days post-op goes by without a BM I'd ask the doc if I should try an enema, the suppositories, or a laxative and how often.

It's true that being constipated causes more discomfort to our insides. It's a balancing act!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register