5 days and counting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days and counting 5 days and counting

Unread 06-14-2002, 08:48 PM
5 days and counting

Hello there! I am new here but have been reading this site for a couple weeks. My surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday (I can't believe it). I am a little nervous about the surgery itself but more so actually about the IV than anything. Isn't that kind of dorky? They have had trouble inserting them before and I hate that! I am so excited that I found this site. I have a wonderful husband but he doesn't seem to understand how I am feeling these days about what is about to happen. Anyhow I was wondering if any of you ladies could tell me how much different recovery from this surgery is from a c-section. I had one several years ago and I think I did wonderfully afterwards. Not too much pain and actually moving around being as useful as possible in several weeks. My concern is that now I have young ones around that are going to need care. How long will I need help for? After my other surgery I was ready to be home alone (I still had a newborn and 2 other young ones) in about 2-3 weeks. But I only had to lift a new one. Now I have a older toddlers and am worried about taking care of them. Is recovery harder and longer or about the same? Sorry this is so long winded but this is what has me worried more than even the surgery or IV. Thanks for listening and I am so glad to find others that have been through this.

Love,

Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 10:05 PM
5 days and counting

I have talked to three people that had both a c-section and a hysterectomy, and all three said the hysterectomy is easier. I also had a c-section (3 actually) so I am pretty sure what to expect. Shouldn't be to bad at all.
I am scheduled for June 19th. I am anxious to get it over with. I am going to have a spinal because I hate that groggy feeling while trying to wake up. So I will be awake during mine. Yikes! I was awake for the c-sections also, so I should be fine.
Haley
Unread 06-14-2002, 10:16 PM
5 days and counting

Hi Jodi and Haley,

I'm going in on the 19th ...

I have no veins, so I can totally appreciate your nervousness about the IV! Have learned however, that if I tell them "left arm, smack dab in the middle" they find what they need!

Suggest that you visit the post op side with your recovery questions -- the s are very supportive and willing to share their experience!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Also a needle phobe!

Dear Jodi and Haley,
I am also a needle phobic and after 3 kids and a few surgerys
I have learned 1: don't ever look 2 : don't be shy ... insist that someone hold your hand while they do it. I have never had anyone refuse that request. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes. I promise!
When one of my sons was about 15 ,he cut the tips of three of his fingers half -way off, and I told him "when they come in to do your stiches and stuff, don't look and hold my hand. He was all 15 and "manly". lol . so he scoffed at me , but as soon as they got near him with a needle he was holding my hand like a 3 year old boy!
I swear , it REALLY helps!
Good luck to us all , hope to hear from you all at the other side.
Unread 06-15-2002, 09:13 PM
I.V./csection

Hi, Don't know about the c section as is have never had children but i can give advice on the iv. When I went into the castle on 5/14/2002 I refused to have the IV put onto the back of my hand the people who were in recovery probly weren't that happy, but it it is much more comfy when it is between your wrist and elbow.

my thoughts and prayers are with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register