had pre op yesterday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had pre op yesterday had pre op yesterday

Unread 01-08-2004, 03:33 AM
had pre op yesterday

My pre op went well yesterday. I am scheduled to have LaVH BSO , tomorrow. One thing that threw me the doctor said no enema or coctail was nessasary. I am to go get the hospital things done this morning chest x-ray, EKG, CBC. Anyone else have doctor say not to worry about enema?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Surgery tomorrow

Hi. My surgery is tomorrow (unless I chicken out) and I did all of my pre op stuff and they said nothing to me about an enema either. So, I called them and asked and they said that it was not necessary because I am not having an abdominal hysterectomy. I said, great.
Unread 01-08-2004, 07:53 AM
had pre op yesterday

Hi, I had a tah/bso over a year ago and had no bowel prep at home. However, after I got to the hospital the morning of my surgery, the nurse did give me ai fleet enema there. I just wanted to tell you this so if it happens to you , you won't be so surprised. It really wasn't bad, I think that it's easier than giving yourself one

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
pre op

First of all, best luck to you... I had no prep in that area at all. I never even heard of that until I read it on here.. One shocking thing I remember is when they were prepping me for surgery, one of the first things they did was hand me an electric shaver and told me to lean over toilet and shave..... I could not believe it. It seems they do less and less for patients. It really was funny and my friends and family got a kick out of my "surprise" when I was up to telling pre/post op stories. I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 01-08-2004, 08:38 AM
had pre op yesterday

Every doctor is different in the bowel prep they want. I also had a LAVH/BSO and I had to do a complete cleansing. I think sometimes the difference is whether or not you have endo. I had 2 laps for endo before the hyst and had to do the cleansing for each. The last time endo had actually adhered my ovary to my bowel.

My doctor said that since he would be using the laser on the endo cells he preferred the bowel to be empty. This way if there is a nick during the lasering my abdominal cavity would not get any fecal matter in it and set up infection.

Call your doctor and double check - just to give yourself peace of mind.
Unread 01-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Re: pre op

Quote:
Originally posted by derby
First of all, best luck to you... I had no prep in that area at all. I never even heard of that until I read it on here.. One shocking thing I remember is when they were prepping me for surgery, one of the first things they did was hand me an electric shaver and told me to lean over toilet and shave..... I could not believe it. It seems they do less and less for patients. It really was funny and my friends and family got a kick out of my "surprise" when I was up to telling pre/post op stories. I hope everything goes well for you.
I'd have counted my blessing on getting to do it myself! I think with my last surgery, next to the bowel prep and the catheter, the getting shaved part was thing I dreaded the worst. I lived through it, but I'm dreading it just as much this time. Its just humiliating!
Unread 01-08-2004, 01:16 PM
had pre op yesterday

I am new to this site and am loving it so far! I had my pre-op appt. this morning (surgery scheduled for 1-13-04). I am having a TAH/RSO poss. BSO for endometriosis. I do have to have the bowel prep thing done. DR gave me a RX for something to drink twice the afternoon and evening before my surgery. I am very nervous about this surgery since I am only 30, but I know that it is my final option.
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:12 PM
had pre op yesterday

Like they all say... every Dr and every case is different. I get to do an enema at night, another in the AM with a betadine douche. Nothing by mouth after midnight. My friend who had the same Dr for the same surgery (plus some adhesions) had to drink a gallon of the nasty stuff.

Dr told me NOT to shave as it can lead to infections. They will use clippers to trim up whatever she needs. Thanks to the Lupron shots, the fibroids have shrunk enough that she thinks she can do a horizontal incision. Won't really know until I wake up though.

There are many paths to the same destination!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register