Ovaries work or don't work after Hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries work or don't work after Hyster? Ovaries work or don't work after Hyster?

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Ovaries work or don't work after Hyster?

I've heard so many different answers regarding "surgical menopause". I admit, I am a bit confused and frustrated.

My doc is planning on leaving my ovaries unless absolutely necessary to take them out. However, I have heard that sometimes they go into some sort of "shock" and quit working for a while after the hyster. Does anyone have any experience in this? Or have any info or ideas on how to deal with this?

I appreciate any help I can get at this point. I was under the impression that if my doc left my ovaries that I wouldn't endure any form of menopause, so I'm a little disappointed that I actual might.... still it will be better than what I have to deal with now!!!

s to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Well you are right sometimes they go into shock. Mine did'nt just my bladder which did'nt want to work for about 3 weeks. So every person is different. Good Luck and speedy recovery to you
Unread 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM

mine started working after about 2 weeks. i had some night sweats and hot flashes during that time but nothing awful. they werent constant. i ovulate every month since the surgery and have no hormone problems at all. i hope everything goes well for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM

My doc said that the ovaries don't go into shock, so go figure. I guess they have their own opinions! LOL! I posted yesterday that I ovulated the other day! I am one of those who knows when she was ovulating, cause the pain can become quite intense...well, I did ovulate! Two weeks after surgery, and about 4 weeks from my final menstrual period! I was surprised and happy! So, yes, they do work!!! (and I ain't no spring chicken! )
Unread 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I had several months of PMS mixed with menopause symptoms. It was quite interesting to say the least! But for me it wasn't too bad and I lived through it. I am coming up on seven years post op and my ovaries are still doing their job!

It is possible for the ovaries to just kick the bucket after a hyst so it is wise to be aware that it can happen and be prepared in case you do find yourself in surgical menopause. It is also possible that your ovaries will go into shock for a bit and you may need to use HRT for awhile. This happened to my mom and after a few months on HRT, her ovaries kicked back in and worked for over 20 years. In the last year she has started needing a light dose of HRT as natural menopause has arrived.

Many best wishes to you and I hope your surgery goes well!
Unread 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks to all the answers... at least I have a little bit of a better idea of what to expect... I really don't know anything about HRT... never really thought about it, but I will ask about it when I see my doc next, just in case!
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Desiree, I went into surgery just like you. My doctor planned to leave my ovaries if they looked healthy and they did. In my case, my ovaries never missed a beat after surgery and they're still working just fine after 3 years.

Yes, we are all very different.

s, Deb
Unread 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM

I also retained my ovaries after my hysterectomy. I was 44 at the time of surgery and the doctor agreed that they should stay if they were healthy.

So far so good -- I can feel myself cycle every month. I do tend to sweat at night (and during the day) but I have run about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the world for about 20 years, so I don't think that's hormone related.

Hope that helps.
Unread 06-08-2007, 12:24 AM

I am 3 weeks post-op today and only have 1 ovary remianing. My ovary was "asleep" after surgery and I don't think it's woken up yet as the hot flashes and night sweats are still coming. Not all women go through this but it's not uncommon to happen either. Usually they will wake up after time but in a few cases, it won't. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have about it. My hot flashes and night sweats are actually less and easier to deal with now than they were pre-op!
Unread 06-08-2007, 06:08 AM

Amazingly, the ovary working issue is the least of my worries... and even less now with everyone's answers! I was more curious than anything... I think whatever happens with this issue will be well worth it.

As far as hot flashes... I've always gotten them... ever since I can remember... when I was growing up my mom always told me that my "thermostat" was broken

Thanks for all the comments... look forward to anyone elses too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register