LAVH Can't Remember What Dr Said About Baths!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't Remember What Dr Said About Baths!? Can't Remember What Dr Said About Baths!?

Unread 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Can't Remember What Dr Said About Baths!?

Ok, I am 17 days post-op from having my LAVH & I am sooooo tired of showers. I can't remember how long my Dr said I have to wait to take baths. Can some of ya'll tell me what your drs reccomendations are for how long to wait?

I feel like this healing stuff is going sooo slow. Don't get me wrong, I feel so much better than I did in the first week to week and a half, but I want to be normal again. I want to wear jeans, I want my belly to be back to its normal size, I want to start excercising, I want to take a bath!! WAAAAA!!! Ok, I'm done whining now! Thanks ladies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Re: Can't Remember What Dr Said About Baths!?

You sound like you got a case of the "I wanna..." . Anhow, most doctors say no baths until after the 6 week checkup. Sorry to bring you unwelcome news.
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:16 PM

I have a Major case of the "I wannas". Lol!

Well, that was not the answer I was hoping for. But Id rather take a shower than deal with the possible effects of taking a bath. I guess I'll just continue counting down to my 6 week check up on November 14th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 01:15 PM

I had a daVinci hysterectomy and my doctor told me no baths for 2-3 weeks.

That seemed a little too soon and I was concerned about germs. I am now post-op 3 weeks and still haven't taken a bath yet. For a few days I felt like I might be getting a UTI so started drinking cranberry juice. Things have quieted down some now.

Although, I would love to take a bath and actually have the "ok" of my doctor, I'm just feeling it is not a good idea yet.

I've been dealing with a fullness and a feeling like my vagina is getting ready to fall out for the last few days. I don't want to add any unnecessary germs just yet.

I'm choosing not to take a bath until I can get in there and clean the tub first - then I will take a bath! Maybe another week when the fullness in my vagina subsides.

You could call your doctor and check, but I would also check with yourself and see if you are really ready for that step!

Happy Bathing
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I had a LAVH and was told no baths until he "okay'd" it, which happened at my 6 week appt.
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM

I wana bath bad too. But even if gyn says tommarow I can bath tommarow I am not becuase It is not worth getting any infection in there to me. I am fourteen days post op today, am still hurting sooo bad
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM

I had TVH and my doctor said I could take baths right away.....so I did. He told me it helps with swelling. My hubby scrubbed the bath real well, using shampoo. I didn't want any harsh cleaners. Then he rinsed it well, and dried it. My first bath was at about a week.

I've healed really nicely.

I would call your doc and ask him though.
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM

I was told no baths for at 4 to 6 weeks docs dont want you to soak in the water. I was told i could take showers just pat dry not rub dry no perfume. Had complete done everything remove been 4 weeks for me today
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM

I was told no baths until I'm cleared which could take another 4 - 5 weeks. However, I've had some complications so its taking forever. Heck, I'm looking forward to being able to take a shower, instead of bathing at the sink.
Unread 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM

I was told no baths for 4 weeks and heeded the warning. I had an infection early on in my recovery and did not want to take any chances of anything else happening. I did not attempt a bath until I was 6.5 weeks but I understand your feelings, it's horrible not being able to take a bath when you feel like it. As far as fitting back into jeans...that would be such a blessing for me I am now 3 months post-op and still not able to fit into my clothes
I have resigned myself to buying bigger jeans than I used to wear as I have had enough of sweats and scrubs and want to try to feel normal again. I have heard that it can take up to a year for the swelly belly to go away. I'm also trying to recover from a hematoma as well, which has impeded my recovery greatly, maybe that has something to do with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register