Is day 3 post hysterectomy at home okay to start walking on a flat track? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is day 3 post hysterectomy at home okay to start walking on a flat track? Is day 3 post hysterectomy at home okay to start walking on a flat track?

Unread 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Is day 3 post hysterectomy at home okay to start walking on a flat track?

This is so humbling, but ladies sister's friends, I had to move back in with my mom (bi-polar, control freak). I have had a miraculous healing knowing my Lord and savior Jesus is behind this and your prayer's of course but is it too early to go on a walk? She is taking me to a cut out track at a little town near by. Your opinion counts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Re: Is day 3 at home okay to start walking on a flat track?

It's not too early to go for a walk, but just know that when you walk... you have to get back to your starting point! You might feel great, but you still have internal incisions and sutures. Start off with just a little bit. My first walk was up and down the street, maybe 1/10th a mile. At day 7 I could walk around the block (3/10th). Sometime week 2-3 I was walking a mile or more.

Our doctors release us anywhere between 4-8 weeks (give or take), but full healing takes 3-4 months or more. Remember to continue to rest!

Unread 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM

Also, consider some sort of belly support. When I first started venturing out, I felt like I had to hold my belly because it just felt weird and sort of loose. I then tried wearing some compression workout shorts when I walked and that worked great. Presumably, the binders you can buy through this site work as well - since I already had the shorts I decided to try those and they worked great so I didn't bother getting a binder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2016, 03:46 PM

I was up walking laps around the hospital ward my second day after surgery. I did my first outside walk on my first full day home, four days after surgery. I went out and walked around the block, then came back home and rested. I felt good, so I went back home and walked around *two* blocks. That felt good too!

Make sure your Mom is aware that walking at this point means you walk maybe 5 minutes, then you rest at least 25, then you walk another 5 minutes and so on. If your Mom is going to throw a hissy fit because, "You're not walking, you're just sitting there," then it may not be worth it. Try walking around the neighbourhood where your Mom lives instead.
Unread 10-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Never too early to walk! Enjoy, I found it a morale booster to get out of the house.
Unread 10-24-2016, 07:49 PM

Walking is great for you with the caveat that you do not overdo it. As others here have mentioned, you need to gradually rebuild your stamina after major surgery. It may be better to try several shorter walks - in both distance and time - than one long walk.

The key is usually to stop before you are at the point of total fatigue. Many gals are jaunty going on this first few "laps", but than have no energy to return back home! Pace yourself and gradually add to your activity.
Unread 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Re: Is day 3 post hysterectomy at home okay to start walking on a flat track?

Thank you sister's now just to get her to understand I can't lift anything more than ten pounds. She insisted I clean out my car because of the coming cold. So i pulled out the three 6 packs of pop, my clothes that are dry and my medical stuff. My mom has no sympathy or empathy so I look forward to coming on here for the support. Again thank you ladies!
Unread 10-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh dear. Would it help if she heard it straight from the doctor??
Unread 10-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Did you move back in with her for the duration of your recovery, or is it meant to be a more permanent thing? If it was only meant to be for the duration of your recovery, it might be time to move back out.
Unread 10-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Oh this is serious as she is pushing you way too hard in my opinion as well. Overdoing this early in recovery can cause setbacks and irreparable damage.

If your doctor can't clue her in, do you have anyone else that she might listen to?

I hestitate to criticize anyone's family, but I am very concerned. Your doctor is the only one that can determine and lift restrictions - not your mom. You have only one chance to heal right and it is being jeopardized - this is just my opinion.

You are not being a wimp as after surgery your job is to rest.

As Surprised stated, perhaps you can re-evaluate your living situation. I know it's not easy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register