Driving...when? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving...when? Driving...when?

Unread 12-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Driving...when?

My doctor told me prior to my surgery that I'd probably be able to drive after 2 weeks post. I'm into my 4th week now, and haven't even considered it. I've been in the car alot, but only as a passenger. I still have some pain and pressure, so very nervous about getting behind the wheel at this point. When did all of you start to drive again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Driving...when?

My dr released me to drive when he took out my stitches.... about a week and a half after the surgery. His "test" is if you can raise your knees up like a high stepping march. He says if you can do that with both legs, without any strain, you can drive. I was actually able to pass the "test" before I left the hospital, but he said insurance definately wouldn't cover me driving right after abdominal surgery that soon.

What I've noticed, though, is as soon as I got my driving priveleges back, I started WAY overdoing things! It was the week before Christmas, so I ended up out and about way more often than I was actually ready for.

If you're not comfortable driving, then I wouldn't do it! What I've noticed most after my surgery is that when I'm done, I am DONE. I'm very careful to not have that happen in a situation where then I have to drive myself back home!
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:13 AM
Driving...when?

Hi Christee,
My doctor said I could drive after 2 weeks but let me tell you I was not ready at that point. I was still having sharp pain on the right side. I did not give it a go until week 4-5. Even then, I would get so tired I had to have someone drive home from the store. You will be the best judge of how much discomfort you have and when you are ready. Good luck. Happy New Year!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 07:28 AM
Driving...when?

My doc released me to drive after 3 weeks. I drove home from the appointment but really resisted driving for about another week. Still some pain and really had no particular place to go.
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Driving...when?

My doc released me to drive at one week post op. And I did drive.. one week from the day of surgery. Wasn't a safe thing to do. Could tell I still had too much drugs in my system. But we do what we have to do.... parked the car for a few days after that drive . lol
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Driving...when?

I began driving on day 13. It feels good to have some freedom. I have a little beetle, so getting in and out of the car is a breeze. I feel like I have more control driving myself. As a passenger, I had no control over fast stops and sharp turns. I am using caution and know my limits. Safe driving to all!
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:51 AM
Driving...when?

Oh, I remember my first driving experience SOOO well. I was 6 days post-op and just had to get my hair cut and colored. Luckily I convinced DH to leave the big car, I don't remember what story I gave him but he took the sports car to work that day. I could barely get in the big automatic SUV and I think I drove all of 20 mph the entire 4 miles to the salon. It WAS well worth it, but boy did I get a scolding and no one left me an automatic car for the next two weeks!
My doctor frowned a bit, but she did tell me to listen to my body and when I was ready I could drive an automatic!
Good luck to you.
Unread 12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Driving...when?

My doc's office said I could drive when I was no longer taking the pain meds. That was around day 10 after surgery. So I continue to drive almost everyday but only short trips to the local video/DVD store or market or bank, etc. No problems so far, but I am not yet ready for rush hour, the freeways or a long drive!

Best to listen to your Dr. and your body.
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Driving...when?

My doc said I could drive 7-10 days post op. She said to sit in the car and make sure I could twist the torso like doing an exagerrated head check. I drove after 10 days.
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Driving...when?

Tomorrow I will be 4 wks post opt and I drove for the first time today and it felt weird. I've been having back pain for awhile so backing up was difficult. My DH went out with me for the first time as a passenger, then gave me "his" okay to do it alone (oh, so protective). I picked my mother up at the mall which is about 2 miles away and enjoyed the freedom of driving again. But I will take it easy not driving too far to soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register