6 mos post op, kept ovaries, but am depressed...anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 mos post op, kept ovaries, but am depressed...anyone else? 6 mos post op, kept ovaries, but am depressed...anyone else?

Unread 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Psycho...anyone else?

Howdy Sisters,

I haven't posted in a little while. My husband actually reminded me that I had this support system. I think he's getting a little unsure of what to do for me.

So, here is the deal- I had my surgery in February. I did great- the recovery was pretty unremarkable, in fact I was up and moving about quickly, and healed up just fine. No real issues to speak of. While I tire quickly, I have been very pleased with my progress. I was able to keep my ovaries, as well. So...happy, happy...right?

Well, about a month ago I began to notice myself becoming irritable very easily. I have had severe depression since I was an early teen- and I have been on medication since. (In fact, every woman in my immediate family has been diagnosed- including my 12 year old cousin) I know depression and its symptoms very well. And...my depression is taking a serious turn. I don't know whether this is something that is whole-body chemical related- or whether it could be due to the surgery. I have the most flat affect- nothing phases me. I just stare. I can honestly say I care about very little right now. I have life responsibilities, like we all do, and so I keep getting up in the morning. But I have to admit that I don't want to. Because I am familiar with this, I am pretty good about forcing myself to NOT shut the door and pull down the blinds- but I am really feeling like I'm in a fairly dark place.

So...is there anyone else out there that is feeling the same way, that kept their ovaries. One of the reasons I kept mine was to avoid some of the emotional stuff that is common upon ovarian removal. So, this is a bit frustrating. I need to gauge how common this is to know where to turn for some medical intervention.

Any thoughts, sisters? Thanks in advance for your input.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
6 mos post op, kept ovaries, but am depressed...anyone else?

Jean,

Don't kmow if this will help, but I'll share my experience with you. I, too, have suffered from clinical depression off & on since my teen years. In the last year (prior to my surgery) I felt like psycho woman, irritable, WAY too sensitive, one minute in a great mood, the next wanting to throttle somebody. My Dr at the time had me try various ant-depressants, various combos etc, and was at a place where he was encouraging me to go on ativan ( I had never before had bad anxiety). This was unnacceptable to me so I asked around and found another Dr (shrink) who I ADORE. First off he told me that recent research shows that people who have early onset depression (in their teens) are more likely to suffer from rapid cycling mood disorders (often not full blown Bi-Polar, but a mild variance of it) AND that the meds I had been taking were actually making my condition worse (at which time I broke down, crying, and hugged the dear man. We weaned me as low as I could go, and then stopped cold turkey. Let me tell you it was so not fun, but he was very supportive through the whole process. About two weeks into my detox I found out I needed a TAH, and would be placed on HRT. He really believed that my hormonal imbalance (I only had one ovary left at the time of surgery and it was basically useless) had been a big factor in how I had been feeling as well. Originally we had siscussed putting me on a mild mood stablizer, but as of this time (9 weeks off anti-depressants, 6weeks post-op and on an Estrogen patch, I feel (pyschologically better, clearer than I have in years. I still get some mild anxiety, and have some other minor issues that I'm told will likely balance out as my body adjust to actually receiving estrogen on a regular basis. This is my story only, but I'm telling you for years I believed that there was only one way to deal with depression (3 out of 4 of my siblings are also on them. I have tremendous respect for the desease of depression, I am just so very thankful that I found a Dr who helped me figure out what was best for me. There is nothing worse than taking meds and continuing to feel nuts and not know why. Like I said...just my story. All the best to you as you search for your answers!!

Beth
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Have you had your hormone levels checked? Sometimes the ovaries can go into shock and either not work or work a bit eradically which can affect your emotions and sense of well being.

A hyst is a major surgery that can affect us deeply as well as affect any other health, emotional or mental issues we may already have.

I would suggest talking to your GP about how you are feeling and get advice as to which direction you should go from there.

I wish you the very best and hope you and your medical team can help you feel your best soon! S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM

I am in the same boat. I had a LSH in May and kept an ovary. Surgery was fine & recovery was good.

About 2 weeks ago I got crushingly depressed, irritable, tired, flat affect. Insomnia.

I was treated for depression 7 years ago but haven't been on meds in years. I started up again a couple days ago.

Also went to my Ob/Gyn and had my hormones and thyroid checked. I'll have the results next week.

This is what she told me. Sometimes surgery can interfere with the blood supply of the ovary & it can stop working correctly. She had one patient who kept both ovaries, hormone levels checked out OK but still had hot flashes etc.

The endocrin[g]e system is weird.

What I've decided is to do the Zoloft, see if that helps. If my hormones are screwy I'm not going to do HRT right away & just try to deal with it. I'm more concerned about the hyperthyroid.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register