Belly HURTS ARGHHHHH 2 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly HURTS ARGHHHHH 2 wks post op Belly HURTS ARGHHHHH 2 wks post op

Unread 11-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Belly HURTS ARGHHHHH 2 wks post op

I had a TAH on 11/6/08, staples came out last Thursday, dr said incision looked good. My problem is that my belly HURTS all the time. The entire area above and below the incision is hard and very painful to even touch. I still have one area of the incision that is draining (dr said it was normal).

How long does it hurt?!!! I am so tired of it. I cant do anything without it causing even more pain. I am so sick of being in pain and am feeling depressed too.

I hope everyone is doing well.... HUGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Hey girl,

Call your doc... I had my procedure on a Friday, home on Sat, by Monday I found out I had an infection in an incision. It can happen that quickly. The area to one side was hard to the touch, painfully swollen, and was actually seeping a smelly discharge ( I couldn't SEE it because of it's location, part of the A&P repair) but if you have an infection the doc will want to get you on antibiotics RIGHT away. Call as soon as you can................

By the way, if it is an infection and you end up on cipro and flagyl, you TOO can add the fun of nausea to your recovery. ICK! But they do seem to do the trick.

Good luck and sympathetic hugs...
Unread 11-18-2008, 09:33 PM

I hope you feel better soon, I had an infection on my incison that like Tracey said started quick, I was put on cipro first did'nt cause nausea for me it caused THRUSH YUCK and Next was good ole Flaygl I developed a severe allergic reaction to that, thought I was having a stroke, Dr said it caused a mild seizure, finally was put on bactrum, but had to take benedryl before I took it. Even if you don't have an infection, I suggest cold packs, they really helped me, expessially w/ the burning pain.
's
Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2008, 09:40 PM

I finaly felt less pain during week #3 post op. Now it is week #4 for me and I still walk very slowly, get tired easily and feel some diskomfort and backpain if I over do it. So, just be patient and take it one day at a time. Hugs,

Teodora
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM

try some shapging panties or a light girdle.... support really takes
Unread 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

sorry your still in pain, me too. the one thing that seems to be working is a gel cold pack from fridge not freezer, and keeping a pillow on my tummy everywhere walking and in bed. i hope that helps im lessthan a week postop myself good luck.
Unread 11-19-2008, 02:58 PM

How long does it hurt?

That differs for everyone. But when I was recovering (I'm 8 weeks post op now), the first two weeks were uncomfortable. Same symptoms as you. I also had a small part of my incision that was actually not even closed up properly so I kept it clean and had no problems. It's headed nicely.

One thing I kept reminding myself was "It's only been TWO weeks — give yourself a break!" I started feeling a lot more like myself after three weeks. At 4 weeks I was off pain meds and walking a mile a day.

So — give yourself time. Let your body heal. A whole lot went on down there that needs time to adjust.

HUGS

Julie
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Did your doc not give you a prescription for painkillers before you left the hospital? I don't have nearly as much pain as you do, but by the end of the day, my incision starts smarting a bit, and I take a painkiller as prescribed. I find it to be very effective, and once it takes hold and I no longer feel discomfort, I am always surprised to see how much it had been hurting all day.

The first thing you need to do is to have your doctor confirm that there is NO infection. If that's indeed the case, try the painkillers. There's no need for you to hurt so much. <<<hugs>>>
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Re: Belly Hurts

I think that I tend to overdo things and cause more pain. I am taking 2 oxycodone pills and 800 mg advil every 4-6 hours just to make the pain tolerable. It doesnt hurt much when lying down but I can only do that for so long before I have to move around.

This morning I got up and had some vaginal discharge, about the same color as what seeps out of my incision. First time I have had any vaginal discharge since surgery. I also have to urinate every 2-3 hours since the surgery. I will call Dr tomorrow about pain and discharge.

The incision itself looks good except for the small area that is seeping a rust colored discharge that the dr said was normal. The entire lower belly area just hurts all the time (unless lying in bed with body pillow) and is very hard all around the incision. Bowel movements have been ok, I take colace and if needed a swig of milk of magnesia. I noticed that I cannot eat as much as I used to (which is a GOOD thing LOL)

Oh and did I mention I am also taking Chantix to try and quit smoking?!! I know that I would be doing better if the pain wasnt so bad but 5 or less cigs a day is REALLY good for me so I am content to keep trying....slowly.

I have tried a cold gel pak and a heating pad. Neither seem to help...I am going to try a pair of my normal size underwear tomorrow to see if the tightness will provide some support...am wearing 2 sizes larger than normal since surgery as I have major swelly belly! Did I mention that it hurts?!!

Thanks for all your responses and hugs...need them as I am feeling down and so disgusted with this pain.
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
2 weeks and pain

I can sympathize, I think I over did it while I had dilauded...I am a chronic pain sufferer from a damaged facial nerve so I am always on oxycontin...

I will share one thing though. That my cervical pain and incision pain b4 and after is helped not very much by the oxycontin. some, but not enough... (I take 20mg oxycontin every 9 hours).. I talked to pain management about that and they said the oxycontin was really meant for belly or female parts pain.

anyway I ran out of dilauded - I had enough for 9 days or so last week and I think that is what is causing some of the increased pain... that and I probably over did it when I did have the painkillers.
Hugs and I hope we ALL feel better soon!
Ann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register