Nervous newcomer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous newcomer Nervous newcomer

Unread 11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Nervous newcomer

Hello everyone. I was so happy to find this support. Just to give a little info on myself. I am 36 and scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy tomorrow morning. I have uterine fibroids and have been dealing with heavy and painful periods for the last several years. My doctor has tried several different birth control pills to try to get some sort of control over it, but to no avail. I am looking forward to not having to deal with this every month, but am also scared of the surgery. I have never had any kind of surgery, except my tonsils out when I was 12, and am getting more nervous as the day approaches. I guess I'm just looking for some ecouraging words from someone who has already been through it. Thanks and I'll be back after the surgery to update.

favrefan36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 07:34 AM
Nervous newcomer

Good luck to you Surgery. My prayers are with you.
Unread 11-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Nervous newcomer

Hi

I had TAH in July for the same reason you are having yours tomorrow. I had suffered for over 10 years with extremely painful periods that caused me to bleed so heavily I was confined to my house for the first 2 days. I would have had the surgery sooner, but I was sooooooo scared of it. I finally decided I was ruining my life along with my family's by "putting" up with this semi-disability. You see, unfortunately ours lives revolved around my period.

I am happy to report this surgery gave me back my life and I now feel wonderful. I have recovered, my strength is back and I feel like a new person.

I wish you the best tomorrow as you take on this new endeavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Nervous newcomer

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I had my TAH on 9-24 for the same reasons. I had never had any type of surgery and was really scared, but it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. When I got to the hospital my husband and SIL sat with me until it was time. I had one quick crying episode then I was fine. Everyone in the surgical prep area and the operating room was wonderful -- they know what you're feeling and they do their best to make you as comfortable as possible. My surgery went well, pain was never more that a 4 and through much of my hospital stay and recovery I did not require any pain meds. Tylenol was enough to keep me comfortable. My recovery has been uncomplicated and I am back to work full time. Think positively, try to relax, make sure you don't overdo it and just put yourself in God's hands. It will be over before you know it and you will be on the road to recovery.

Take care!
Unread 11-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Nervous newcomer

My prayers are with you too,, I am as nervous as you are,I am having mine done tomorrow morning as well, Good luck to you,,and may all our pains and problems be taken away, well at least this part of it anyway,
Let us know how you are when you are able, I'll do the same too.
Unread 11-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Nervous newcomer

Good Luck and Best Wishes to all the Nov.12th princesses. May calm reign. I will be there on Nov.14th, and see you on the other side. Have an uneventful and pain free castle stay.

Beate
Unread 11-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Nervous newcomer

Hi,
I was 36 also when I had my TAH. Best thing that I was ever able to do for myself.
I was an excessive bleeder, so much so, that BC pills could not control it much.
The road to recovery is long and can have many ups and downs even months afterwards. Be prepared for anything. I still get swelly 10 months post. Sometimes it seems like two steps forward and one back, but eventually we all get through it.
I have been back at work and in my normal full routine since week 6 post. My post op problems were few with only one scare
(which seems exclusive to me, because I have never read of it here happening to anyone else)
Follow your DR's instructions and listen to the wise that have gone before you. They know what they are talking about sometimes better than the DR's it seems.
Rest. Drink. Walk. Start back to everything with moderation and gradually. Enjoy! Life on the other side has proved more than fantastic for me. I never imagined feeling this good all the time.

Men have it made!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register