Lost the race! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lost the race! Lost the race!

Unread 10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Lost the race!

Hi. I'm currently awaiting my hyst and am having the same fears you do. I found comfort in this number, which I got from the book "Hysterectomy: Exploring Your Options" - less than .01 % - that is the fatality rate of hysts in the US. More than 600,000 are performed each year and the fatality rate is less than .01%. Now, that's a comfort to me.

I'm still scared senseless and will prepare myself for the "just-in-case" outcomes, but that number sure has given me something to hang on to.

I seriously hope this helps!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Lost the race!

I have to say how proud I am of ya'll for considering slowing up on the smoking and finding ways to quit. Your recovery will be easier, your lungs will be healthier, your heart will be better.

((( Ladies ))) Hang in there and go for it!
Unread 10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Lost the race!

newbody and all,

Just a quick positive note. Hysterectomy is not an easy decision for any one to make. I think we are all scared of it at some point. I know some of the things I asked my doctor (I still have my little notebook filled with questions and answers from her) were very personal. I was fortunate that she was open and honest and very frank with me. What I wanted to tell all of you, is this is a great place. And if you are scared we understand. We were scared too. Some have complications and some don't. Some heal faster than others. Some have very little pain and some have a lot. Our pain tolerances are different. I know before my surgery, I went to the Post-op board just to see what everyone was saying......I finally posted one day....you women are scaring me to death.....and I have no other viable option! The loving and kind support that was extended to me, eased my fears. I went back to my doctor with more questions, which she did answer. I made my decision to go ahead with surgery. And so far for me, it has been a good choice. Not easy, and I have swelly belly most days (I'm told that may take awhile to go away), I am tired some days, I have weird jabs and stabs. But I almost always find someone that has had it or is experiencing it too. So I know I am not .

Blessings to you all. May you find the answers you are seeking to make the best choice for your health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Lost the race!

WOW! THANKS EVERYONE!

I went to see my doc. and my surgeon yesterday. My hubby went along to (to keep me from running out of the room). I had a good cry. No choice. This must be done! My doc. said that the larger the fibroid gets, the higher the risk of it becoming cancerous even if it shrinks after menopause. My paternal grandma was dead at 50 from uterine cancer.

The surgeon was great! Very comforting. Very surprised at the size of the tumor inside me. The ultra sound also showed many cysts in and on the cervix and tubes. And today my period started....the clots!

My doc. gave me a little 'helper' for the nerves.

I have to wait for the letter from the hospital for the big 'date', but they figure mid November to early December.

Yes, the smokes have to go. Yikes!

The surgeon said he wouldn't let me die. That .01% is comforting and something to hold on to.

I am starting to try to think more positive, because this is something I cannot change. I am trying to think about how much better I'll feel after I recoup.

One thing that struck me odd...my surgeon said that I will have an epideral in my back for the first 48 hours after surgery. Anyone else had that?

Thnks all,
Leasa
Unread 10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Lost the race!

Leasa,
Congratulations on your decision to have the hysto.
I am a week post op today. I am so glad it is over. I had fibroids and cysts too, and really no other problems. But knowing that this has eliminated any chances of getting cancer (no uterus or cervix.. no cancer)!

Regarding your post about the epidural. You might want to talk to your doctor and/or anesthesiologist and get some more information about this. I had made up my mind to not have one and during pre op they sort of acted like, are you sure you don't want one? I questioned the pros and cons and decided that I was going to have enough discomfort after the surgery that I didn't want to deal with a needle in my spine. I am really glad that I chose to stick with the PCA (Button for morphine). I have heard too many complaining about the bad headaches afterwards. AND the meds and anethesia gave me enough headaches that I am glad I didn't have any more.

All that is to say, you do have a choice, so as more questions and make up your own mind what is best for you. I am glad I made the choice of the PCA/

Good luck, and welcome to the club.

Judy
Unread 10-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Lost the race!

Oh Leasa, I am so glad you are feeling better about things & you have a good doc. I never had an epideral for my H. but I think that would be good. If it stops the pain for 48 hrs- hooray! I had the normal anesthesia and it was painful when I came out of recovery & it took a while for the morphine to kick in. They all have their own way of doing things. I was in the castle for a little less than 48 hrs!

I am glad you know your family history. My maternal grandma had cervical cancer and my own mother never shared it w/ any of her 4 daughters. I found out AFTER my H and thank God I had my cervix removed! I just assumed she would tell me important info like that but she said, " You never asked the right questions." And yes, I told my sisters! I love my mom but that's nuts.

I have to say its so nice to go into the store and go past the fem. hygiene section and not have to buy any, or schedule vacations around it. Or worry about flooding or the pain that went w/it. Many positives. We've become so used to putting up w/ it, we don't realize the freedom that it brings. I am just starting to realize that freedom. YAY!

Good luck again and keep up the good job on putting out the smokes! You can do it!
Unread 10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Lost the race!

Leasa,

Just know we are here if you need us. My Doctors also told me that my fibroids were so large that they would just shrivel and the chance of cancer was very great. It isn't an easy decision. This surgery. I cried for several weeks off and on, then just pulled up my boot straps and decided to do what I needed to do to get ready for surgery and whatever it brought. I don't regret having my hysterectomy. I went in to it with no "false" preconceptions. I was fortunate, my doctors were very honest......laying out the risks and risks of complications. Be sure and check out the checkpoints. They have been invaluable to me about the "do's and don't's" of recovery. Rememeber.....Rest is going to be your best friend. Take care and keep us posted.

Theresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register