Bladder Issues, 4 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Issues, 4 weeks post op Bladder Issues, 4 weeks post op

Unread 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Bladder Issues, 4 weeks post op

This is a bit of an embarrassing issue but here goes. I have issues with bladder control. There is leakage off and on during the day. Its not alot, I can get by with a panty liner but its still annoying. My OBGYN suggested doing kegal exercises as this appears to be somewhat common. I am doing them but they do not appear to be helping. This was also a minor problem the last 9-12 months before surgery but less so. I figured it was do to the size of my uterus (3 sizes too big due to fibroids).
Anyone else having this problem?

TAH 2/19/09
Kept one ovary, did not keep cervix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Hi, I know excatly how you feel. I had my hysterectomy on jan 29th but during surgery had to have 5 stitches in my bladder from where a fibroid and scar tissue were removed. and 2 days before my 6 week checkup last friday, i started leaking small amounts also. Its on and off, and I even went a day with no leaking at all. When i went for my 6 week check up I told the gyn and he says it happens to alot of women, it can be from and infection or even medications you take. But In my case he wants me to go to the urologist who did the stitches in the bladder to be sure. He said they can often give you a pill to stop it. But because of insurance i have to wait for an appt with my reg doc for a referral, and i dont even see her till fri!
Im anxious to see what replies you get, Im in the same boat! lol no pun intended! good luck! other than this problem i feel great, and hope you all have a wonderful recovery!!
Unread 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Hi I am 6 days post surgery with a total hysterectomy taking it all, ovaries, uterus, cervix. Before my surgery, I would say at least 9 months to a year I was having bladder problems. I couldn't laugh, cough, sneeze without having to change my clothes completely. I spoke with my gyn, and told I her i had taken Detrol, and another one and they didnt help. After my surgery, I am still having the bladder problems. I am seeing my gyn on the 25th and hope they can give me some relief with this. Pads do not help and I'm talking the super ones. I hope I can get some help too and hope it is not ANOTHER surgery to go thru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Keep in mind that the bladder gets moved to the side & held there for a long time so it is not unusual for it to take a while to get back to normal. I had the same spasms & leakage for a while but it does go back to normal. Best wishes.
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to tell you, They found a fibroid the size of a tennis ball on my uterus, so it was probably putting alot of pressure on it too. Thanks again and take care..
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM

I had some leakage after the first week, turned out to be a UTI. After that was cleared up I was fine. I didnt know I had one. said they are common if you have a cath during surgery.. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks for responding, I am doing better in that area now, so it must have been the pressure from the fibroid and the catheter didn't help either. Have a nice day!
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
7 days after my surgery

Hi again, here it is 7 days after my surgery. I am doing a little better. The leaky bladder has subsided, thank God. I am still very sore in my tummy, but I know it would get better faster if I could slow down. I have a hard time sitting still and not doing housework. I just can't sit there and look at it, so I do a little then it wears me out completely and then my tummy hurts. I need to let other people do it all fo rme, but it is hard. Anyone should love to be waited on hand and foot right? lol My 3 incisions are doing better, just tender still. But as I said before, the binder really helps. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I had a total hyst. and I have gone thru menopause prior to my surgery. I was wondering why they put me on the hormone patch? I thought it was to keep you from going into early menoppause. I have a dr. appt on the 25th and will ask more then as I am not quite clear as to why I have it. I did call them and ask and they said your doc has a written order for it, so you need to be on it. Maybe it is temporarily or something. Does anyone know about the patches? I also heard they can cause side effects and can they make you gain weight?? Too many questions I know..lol THanks a mill to everyone with their comments.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register