16 more days til' surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

16 more days til' surgery! 16 more days til' surgery!

Unread 02-13-2006, 11:40 AM
16 more days til' surgery!

I have a few questions:

~A friend suggested wearing Maternity Pants instead of trying to buy "bigger" clothes for after the surgery. Is this a good idea? I'm thinking yes, because it'll make the belly pretty comfy. I'm a size 8 with a flat tummy...so should I expect a lot of swelling?

~I've got my heating pad, anything else I'll need for comfort? I think I'll go buy a heart shaped pillow too.

~Does anyone know of a website or anything I can print for information for my husband? I've already printed the husband/family information off this site for him, but I cannot find a website spacifically made for men.

~I'm having LAVH..keeping ovaries and tubes. How long should I expect to be in bed?

Thanks!
Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Hi Candy,

Since you're having a LAVH, I don't know how much swelling you will have. We are all so different, no matter what type hysterectomy we have. I'm sure other LAVH sisters will reply with their experience though!

I had a TVH and so I didn't have a whole lot of swelly belly, but I did wear pajama pants and sweats during recovery because I was just relaxing and recovering and they were the most comfortable. I didn't buy any bigger ones, the one's I had were fine for me. You might be different however.

A great place for your husband to visit is Mister Hyster Sisters. You can also find it in the lavendar column at the left of the screen. There's a lot of great information there for him!

As far as being in bed, it varies by patient and doctor but I was encouraged to get up and take short walks the starting the evening of my surgery. Walking helped me so much! I just felt better. My doctor told me that it was important to walk for a number of reasons to include preventing blood clots and helping to get the bowels moving.

While you're getting prepared, be sure to do some reading around here. A couple of great places to help you prepare are Pre-Op Articles and Checkpoints. There is a lot of information there to help you with everything from preparing your recovery room, questions for your pre-op appointment, to recovery!

Best wishes to you!

s, Deb
Unread 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi Candy, I had a TAH on 1/25/06 and I wore the pants home from the hospital that I wore to the hospital. Now at home I've been in sweats and pjs just because they are more comfortable to lay around in.
I had fibroids on the outside and inside of my uterus and the uterine tissue was growing into the uterine muscle. I didn't know how much pain and bloating I was in till I had the surgery. You will be so glad you did this.
Good luck and take care of yourself after!
Lisa(Scratch)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register