Ovarian Cancer: New Member | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Hello Everyone.

I've been looking around the forums and decided to introduce myself. On the personal side, my name is Melissa and I have a life partner of 15 years, Debbie. Debbie has multiple health issues and I have been both her partner and caregiver. I've always been the reasonably healthy one - until recently.

One day not long ago, my tummy started bloating. I had had some minor odd health issues in preceding months, but put them down to stress, gas, etc. Eventually there were enough little things that I decided to see my doctor. Before I got the appt. scheduled ( I admit to some procrastination - not a big fan of going to the doctor's), the problem with my tummy happened and forced the issue.

The PA was kind but had a pretty good idea what was most likely happening and sent me for an emergency CAT scan. After the CAT scan, I was told I had ovarian cancer - most likely stage 3. From there, I was directed to a GYN oncologist. I"ve had dealings with a lot of doctors over the years between my partner's health issues and other family members and was very relieved that I felt good about this doctor (and still do). A good doctor is worth a million bucks, imo.

That verrrrry long day - much of which I can't say I honestly remember all that well - was Jan. 12th. I had a paracentesis the next day where I was amazed to watch them take close to a gallon of fluid out of my abdomen. On Jan. 15th, I had a complete hysterectomy with tumor removal. I recuperated pretty quickly, getting out of the hospital in almost exactly three days.

At the follow-up appt. I learned my stage 3 cancer was actually a stage 1. I think I was about as in shock to hear that as I was to learn I had cancer in the first place. A good shock, to be sure, but definitely not something I was expecting.

I will be having chemo. Pre-chemo eval is next Tues.

All this has happened so fast. Besides dealing with the surgery et al, we've had to find ways to make sure my partner was taken care of while I was gone and recuperating, we have financial issues big time, and my head is kind of swimming. I am doing my level best to maintain a positive attitude and keep a good sense of humor and I think I"m doing pretty well with it, though I certainly dont' claim to be Superwoman at all times. My partner and I have a great relationship and give each other much strength which is invaluable, and we've had friends who have lent both practical and emotional support as well. It all helps.

I"m trying to give the facts without writing a complete novel here. I have been wanting to find a support group, but haven't had much chance to work on that, and I thought this would be a great place to start. This seems to be a very comprehensive board and I'm looking forward to reading and learning more.

My best to all-
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Re: New Member

Welcome Melissa! You'll find the women here are all very open and honest about pretty much everything. Seems like once cancer hits all shyness goes out the door. LOL Its wonderful that they were able to bring things back to a stage 1, rather than stage 3.

Things do move very quickly when a cancer dx is made, though it seems they moved super-fast with you. I know it took me well over a year to digest what all had gone on. I had cervical cancer, so I can't really comment on the chemo as it varies from dx to dx. I'm sure someone will be along shortly though.
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Hi Melissa,

Welcome - , I'm glad you found us! You are in the right place.

Its really great that things have turned out not to be as bad as initially feared. It's a great service to share that here, since there are surely sisters who are really fearing the worst and it's good to have something positive and concrete to grab onto. A little bit of bummer that you have to have chemo, but for stage 1 I guess it's for insurance. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I think a lot of us here, like you, are more the care-giver than care-getter, but we help each other out here. I'm glad that you were diagnosed so early - I understand that it's not usually the case. Maybe it's all those years supporting your partner medically, that you were able to connect with execllent care so quickly. That's what partners are for!

Take care during your treatments, and be sure to check in early and often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM

(((Melissa)))

We're so sorry you need us but are very glad you found us! This site is full of wonderful ladies who are happy to share information and support. Even if you just need to vent or cry, someone's always around.

Best to you as you continue your journey . . .

monami
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM

Hey Melissa

Sorry that you find yourself on this board but you couldn't be in better company of ladies who can offer you some support.

I too had stage 1 ovarian cancer - had my hysterectomy 14 months ago and completed 6 rounds of chemo ending last April. I have check ups now every 3 months with my oncologist - I have my next one next week - I get a bit nervous before them and hold my breath when he tells me my CA125 score but so far so good.

The chemo isn't pleasant but it's do-able and I felt good about doing it as felt I was doing something positive to protect myself. It was only after the chemo that I started to digest what had happened to me and one year later my mind still works overtime with every ache and pain I have thinking that cancer may have returned but I'm sure all this gets better with time.

I wish you the best of luck with your chemo.

Take care
CathyJane
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Welcome Melissa
Chemo can be rather frightening when you first hear you will be getting it.
There are several here who have been through chemo, and will be pleased to answer all your questions about it.
So great that you got downgraded post op, too often it goes the other way.

Janet
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:18 PM

I had ovarian cancer (stage 1C). I finished chemo two years ago. I am cancer-free. My primary advice is make well-informed decisions, and do not make panicky decisions. You have to be an advocate for yourself. You can survive ovarian cancer. I serve on a board of a local ovarian cancer group, and there are ladies who were diagnosed at stage 3 over 10 years ago! They are dynamos. Ignore the statistics, and be very, very good to yourself during chemo, e.g., massages, good food, yoga, Also, work with a naturopath to help with chemo side effects.
Unread 02-09-2010, 11:54 PM

Welcome Melissa!

You sound very grounded, which will help you digest and get through all of what you will hear and do in the next few months. When I found this forum, it felt I had found a pot of gold, as everyone was so kind and giving of information about treatments, or anything I asked. I felt like a drill sergeant asking so many questions about chemo side effects. I had it in my mind that there was no way I could get through it, however, with each post I read and all that I researched, giving me information that I had no idea existed, I went forward and began. Actually, side effects were almost nil for me thank goodness! I went in armed with confidence that I received from asking and receiving from this forum.

I've only had 3 treatments as platelet levels never went back up enough to continue, so I'm on hormone therapy now, and will continue with chemo possibly if Dr agrees at sometime in the future. My CA 125 is at 3 and from what I hear, that's a good thing.

Although you may be tempted to let all this newness get to you, stay steadfast and focus on what's important daily without getting ahead of yourself. Take notes when you visit with any Dr and ask them to repeat if you don't understand or are in a state that you don't feel you can comprehend (at the moment). When you have your pre-chemo meeting, make sure you understand the meds that will be given to you and state your needs, and what side effects they will have, and take them accordingly, as this is no time to say you can do it without them.

Keep reading and post any thoughts or questions you may have about anything, as there is always someone that has been where you are at any given moment before, during, and after treatment.

My best to you, and know that it will be okay!
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Just wanted to say "welcome"! What a miracle that your diagnosis was down graded!! SAM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register