abdoman pain still after 2 1/2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdoman pain still after 2 1/2 weeks abdoman pain still after 2 1/2 weeks

Unread 05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
abdoman pain still after 2 1/2 weeks

I had surgury 2.5 weeks ago and still have a lot of soreness to the touch around my entire (hip to hip but more on left side) abdoman. Dr told me it's because of the size of fibroid and uterus removed from bikini incision. Wondering if others also feel it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Sorry that you are in pain, but you are still early in your recovery! Please take it easy. Hope it starts feeling better, but it will take time. I know how we want to start feeling better now, but our bodies need time.
Unread 05-16-2008, 03:25 PM

I have the same pain. Today I took some OTC pain med. Mostly I find it just uncomfortable, but today seemed to be worse.

When does this pain/tenderness end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM

yeah it seems some days are worse. I hope it ends soon (for all of us).
Unread 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm at 2.5 weeks too and still on percocet to sleep. I find that the more I do (or over do) the more pain I am in.

Sailed thru til today when I hit a brick wall. I just want to be in bed all day and of course there are things to do. I looked at the expected 3-4 week recovery list on this sight. Bologna! No one around here is helping me. No wonder I have pain. I had to grocery shop, put it away, cook blah blah blah. I don't know one person who had this surgery that had total help. So yes, you should still have some pain. Especially with that type of surgery!

My niece had a total hysterectomy at 35 and said to give it 4-5 weeks. I just can't imagine being at that point, Then again days 1&2 at the hospital I couldn't imagine being HERE! Good luck!
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM

I regret to tell you, that soreness and tenderness will be with you for several more weeks. I'm sorry to hear you are hurting, but I am here to tell you, it eventually does ease away. Here at 4 month post-op mark, my swelling, soreness and tenderness of the abdomen has greatly diminished. I still am careful about making fast, sudden torso movements and any kind of lifting, ie groceries or laundry, I wear the belly band for support.
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:19 PM

I am @ week 7 & the soreness has just now went away for the most part, although if I overdo it, I will find that the soreness does come back slightly...hang in there, it will get better
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM

Hi eacross: Yes, it's definitely normal to be sore so soon after surgery. I also had large fibroids, and my Dr. told me the same thing when I asked about the continued soreness at my 5+ wk post-op appt. She reminded me of how large the internal incision was, just to get everything out in one piece (hip-hip & pelvic to belly-button). I am now 11 wks post-op (TAH) and my abdomin is STILL sore, even around my belly button.
I want to encourage you to take it easy, and don't get over anxious & overdo it. As everyone says, you have one chance to heal properly. I kept thinking that I'd be pretty much back to myself after a few weeks because it seemed that quite a few women said how good they felt & how much energy they had. I've come to realize that not everyone heals so quickly, and I think my expectations have made my recovery more frustrating. I wish I'd just rolled with it and not had such high expectations (I did try). I'm frustrated that I'm not back to 'normal' by now, especially since I'm back to work. I do hope that your soreness goes away soon, although it is normal, & that your recovery is a smooth one!
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Msmimix2, thanks for telling us what your doc told you about the internal incision. I knew there was internal incision; now I know that those bits I feel are at the very ends of the internal incision. Explains alot for me!
Unread 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM

You're welcome Robin. Glad that helped. I know it helped me to know just why I was / am so sore. At the edges of the incision seems to be where I have the most pain also. I still have the swelling, soreness, and even sharp pains at times (definitely when I've been on my feet most of the day).
Recently a co-worker, who is my age (46), told me that now, 5 yrs. after her TAH, she has to have surgery to repair damage that she did back then BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T DO (or not do) AS THE DR ORDERED. I am definitely trying to err on the side of caution. We really do only have one chance to heal properly the first time around.
May everyone's recovery go smoothly and without complications!!!
~Margie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register