Ovaries: Keep them or dump them? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries:  Keep them or dump them? Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

Unread 03-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

Three cheers, weekycat, for giving your doc pause for thought.

Regarding the guy GYN who made the observation that testicles, being on the outside are therfore easier to moniter... Let's not forget that the fellows also possess a prostate gland--inside--which is more prone to cancer than either testicles or ovaries.

Yes, it is important to continue to monitor our health--inside and out--especially as we age. I've had a couple vag. sonograms in the past--they didn't hurt a bit. I'd wager that the men's prostate exam (rectal probe) is way more uncomfortable.

Research is indicating that even old ovaries may have beneficial effects--like continuing to release small amounts of estrogen. Science has also disproved the old belief that menopause happens because the ovaries "run out" of eggs. Autopsies of menopausal women prove they still have many.

As one who was happy with my mental state pre-hyst., I worried about becoming morose or menopausal if I lost my ovaries-- especially since I can't take HRT due to a past adventure with cancer. I was thrilled to be able to keep a good ovary (and glad to lose a bad one).

"To keep, or not to keep," that is the question. The answer is different for each Sister because we are unique with our own specific circumstances & problems to balance in the equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:18 PM

My hyst was primarily to remove the ovaries, the uterus was the icing on the cake. 3 weeks post op and went on the vivelle patch right away.......no regrets!!
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:25 PM

My advice is to do a lot of research, and make the best decision for you. The deciding factor in my case was a conversation with a friend who is also an md. female, 63. She said, the problem with ovarian cancer, is once you find it , it is often too late, in other words, high mortality. I'm 43, and I know that I'm not at risk for that in my family. But if i could head off that deadly cancer risk, however minute it might be, I did. It was on her advice. I wasn't her patient. I had previously been intent on keeping my ovaries. Well, they took out 2 beautiful textbook ovaries, and I don't have any regrets- they served me well.
It is a hard decision. Make yourself informed and you will feel confident in your decision. I understand how hard it is. The important thing is to separate your emotions from your analysis and decisions. That takes some distance and time-use it wisely.

Good Luck
Unread 03-29-2002, 08:11 PM

It is refreshing and a relief to find so much information posted by women who have been through this or are about to (like me). I am going to have a TVH due to heavy periods lasting 18 days or more each month - submucosal fibroids and polyps are the culprit. Both ovaries are coming out too, since my mother, brother and both grandmothers have had various cancers. I dodged the BC bullet via bilateral prophylactic mastectomy 15 years ago, and see no point playing cancer roulette with the ovaries at this point in my life (I'm 47). Since my surgery is not an emergency, I've scheduled it for June 7 - my daughter will be home from college then so I'll have help at home. I was beginning to stress about losing the ovaries and requiring HRT for the rest of my life, but after reading all of the posts in this thread, I know I've made the right decision. I'm looking forward to returning to a more active lifestyle and finally be freed of the constant bleeding, cramping and the embarrassment of sudden, unexpected gushes! Thanks all for the information.
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:17 AM

In the past several years I have lost two friends to ovarian cancer. One of them had a hyterectomy and removed one ovary. Neither of them found it early enough to save them. I have another who is fighting the battle right now. Having lost a grandmother to what might have been ovarian cancer, I think it is in my best interests to loose them. I can't say that I am happy with my mood or where my health has been going in the past few years, so maybe with HRT that will all improve.

Female gyn health is so different than male health. And every choice is an individual one. I am so glad that I had sisters here to give their insights rather than having to make my decision without anyone to dicuss this with.

Caren
Unread 03-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Dump them......Keep them?? I'm dumping!

Loved this thread. My surgery is in two days, April 2 for tvh/bso rectocele and bladder sling. I've been complaining to my obgyn for three years about perimenopausal symptoms....night sweats, complete and total irritability, fatigue, no libido, memory problems, stress incontinence, etc. etc. Did I mention irritability??? So when obgyn suggested hyst for pelvic relaxation she also suggested removing both ovaries. I was thrilled! However, as surgery approaches I have been questionning my decision just a bit...the idea of taking drugs for the next 20 years is somewhat frightening. However, I am 44, have two kids, a great marriage and a stressful but rewarding career and I really need to get my energy and formerly lovely personality back! So,, out they come! My doctor is going to put me on Estratest as she has had great luck with estrogen with a bit of testosterone. While I'm a bit nervous about the whole shebang, I am looking forward to getting off the hormone roller coaster. And, the added bonus of no more excruiating ovulation pain will be great too. I hadn't thought of it till reading some of these posts, but I too had a grandmother who died long ago from a somewhat secret female cancer. I welcome removing the threat of ovarian cancer! So, I guess it is a personal decision and one that must be made fully informed. I'll post again after surgery when I know more what this hrt is like.

Good luck to all.

Teresa
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Good luck Teresa

Good luck on Tuesday, Teresa. I wish my surgery was sooner than June, today was one of the worst days - such an emotional roller coaster with these stinking hormones of mine... up one minute and so, so down the next. I wished several times during the day that my surgery was next week... I hadn't thought of the benefit of removing my ovaries in that way until I read your post...stay well, and good luck to you. I'll say a prayer for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register