HELP! Has anyone had success with bladder sling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP! Has anyone had success with bladder sling? HELP! Has anyone had success with bladder sling?

Unread 06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
HELP! Has anyone had success with bladder sling?

I have ready hundreds of post on this sight..... but can't seem to find anyone who has success with a bladder/urethra sling. I'm trying to decide whether of not to get a TVT-O for mild stress incontinence when I have my TAH next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm almost 3 months out from a TAH/BSO and had the sling in too. I love it. I'm glad I had it done. I hope I always say that. I had some erosion at week 4 but it has healed over and it doesn't bother me or DH. I love that I can sneeze and cough without leaking. It took a long time for the discomfort to go away, but I'm glad I did it.

Sandra
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:11 PM

I am at week four, and I had it too. My doc did not use the mesh for mine, he used fascia from my inner thighs. I am thrilled to be able to go out in public without a maxi pad for sneezing and coughing and lifting and pulling myself into my Tahoe. It is WELL WORTH IT. You are having the hyster anyway, have it done while you are out of it! I really have had no problems with the TVT O sling, most of my post op problems have been the hysterectomy pains and incision pains. I strongly recommend getting the sling!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm 5 months out, with the sling. I'm very pleased----it's taken a bit of time to get out of old habits---like tensing up just before a sneeze. I would say, make sure you follow all your Drs. instructions about recovery. I tried to research the sling on this site and it was a bit scary. I probably wouldn't have gotten it done if I hadn't already been having the hysterectomy. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:06 PM

I am scheduled to get the TVT-O sling on July 6th. My doctor will be doing it while performing a laparoscopy.

If you go to youtube.com and look under TVT sling you can see a actual surgery of the sling.
Unread 06-22-2007, 04:07 AM

Grjag...I know what you mean...whenever I feel a sneeze coming on, I tense up, or cross my legs still! LOL! I hated that, and it was humiliating. I am so glad I had the surgery to fix it!
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks so much .... I was starting to wonder if ANYONE ever had a successful sling! And, yes, I think I have been reading too many horror stories! Please keep me posted if any of you notice any changes.... I have 32 days to wait (and counting!)

I really appreciate your input!
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Jen, do you know if your doc plans on using your own body fascia or synthetic? Mine used tendons from my inner thighs to make my sling. He said it works better cause it is the body's own natural material and doesn't get rejected. Makes sense to this old broad! LOL! I have no complaints still. I love not wearing pads every day now! That got EXPENSIVE!
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Colleen ~ I have not talked to my Dr. yet about the details ... but the tech and nurse who did my urodynamics test talked to the Dr. that day, and at first glance at the results, she said she'd probably do a TVT-O ... and something about "tape"??? So I'm not really sure yet. I have an appt with the Dr. to discuss further.
Ok ... just talk with the Dr.s nurse. She said the Dr. would use a mesh. ???? Know anything abou that?
Unread 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Do it once

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerjen
I have ready hundreds of post on this sight..... but can't seem to find anyone who has success with a bladder/urethra sling. I'm trying to decide whether of not to get a TVT-O for mild stress incontinence when I have my TAH next month.
My Mom had her bladder sling done at the same time as her TAH at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL, and says it's working just fine. It's been 10 years now. They did not use her own flesh for the sling, so it must've been tape. Mom said she wouldn't have done anything differently.

Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register