Prolonged bleeding each month, unsure of where to go next | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolonged bleeding each month, unsure of where to go next Prolonged bleeding each month, unsure of where to go next

Unread 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Prolonged bleeding each month, unsure of where to go next

I know you can't give medical advice, but I'd love some personal BTDT suggestions or at least some sympathetic hugs.

Since my son was born 6 years ago, I've been having abnormal uterine bleeding. My cycles are the picture perfect 28 days, I seem to be ovulating normally, but I'm bleeding for the first 2 weeks every month. Excepting the first day or two, it's not heavy bleeding - just extended black spotting with occasional gushing (for lack of a better description).

I've been in and out of doctors for six years and have more diagnoses than I can count. I've had doctors suggest anaerobic uterine infection, PCOS, Asherman's, hormone imbalance, polyps, etc. I'm in the diagnosis of the month club.

I've done hormone testing which shows that my progesterone levels are fine, though my estrogen levels are high. (Though what exactly "high" is, I don't know. That doctor moved out of town shortly thereafter) We tried cyclical Prometrium, which had no visible effect.

We've done several saline-infused-sonograms, transvag u/s, CT scan of the uterus, and a hysteroscopy/ D&C/ polypectomy (in Oct 2007). I did have one small-ish polyp that they removed, but nothing else was found (including a biopsy) None of the tests have shown any possible cause for the bleeding.

The most recent attempt at answers was a 3 month stint on an estrogen based pill in attempts to stop ovulation and see what would happen "in a vacuum" as it were. Unfortunately, the gyn and I didn't realize that the Lamictal I'm on for bipolar2 decreases the efficacy of synthetic hormones. The first month, I bled for 3 weeks instead of 2. And the following two months, it looks like I ovulated anyways. I've only been on these meds for 4 years, so they probably aren't the cause of the bleeding. Though it is possible that they might exacerbate it, most studies have shown that it doesn't effect natural or bioidentical hormones.

At this point, my gyn is suggesting another hysteroscopy/D&C and if that doesn't show anything conclusive, looking at a hysterectomy, removing the uterus only. Honestly, I'm so tired of all this medical ring-around-the-rosy, I'm ready to just be done with it. But I know I'm responding from emotion and not logic.

FWIW, my sister had a TOH in 2006 due to endometrial cancer (ESS). I also have two aunts on my father's side who had uterine/endometrial cancer and one aunt on my mother's side with ovarian cancer.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions? Happy vibes and virtual hugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Re: Prolonged bleeding each month, unsure of where to go next

I am so sorry you are going through this. Although I have no real insight to give you on this condition, I am sure someone will be along who does shortly. I am sending you all the hugs I can send! Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register