4 Weeks post hysterectomy - can't hold down food or fluids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Weeks post hysterectomy - can't hold down food or fluids 4 Weeks post hysterectomy - can't hold down food or fluids

Unread 08-14-2014, 04:36 AM
4 Weeks post hysterectomy - can't hold down food or fluids

4 weeks ago had full surgery, found out I had stage 3c MMMT cancer, have not had chemo yet.

For the past two weeks have had bloating and a spewing reaction which has got progressivley worse and now can't hold down food or fluids. Everytime i eat or drink i get a coughing reaction which leads to spewing. I have went to the ER two times and my GP twice, GP has reached the end of his knowledge and now tells me if you can't manage at home go to the ER.

On my first trip to the ER, five days ago (while also feeling nauseous), they said it was caused by severe constipation (from xray) so they pumped me full of saline and gave me Ondansetron, OXY (which I had been taking since post op) and stool softener. I felt much better after but when I ate the next day the coughing/spewing returned.
I thought maybe it was oxy for the pain so stopped it.

Today I didnt know what else to do so i returned to the ER(but no nausea)they took another X-ray and said the same thing, severe constipation no blockage either. They first tried an enema liquid where some poop came out, then did a full liquid enema (i didnt hold for long) some poop but also blood came out, they didn't think much of it but it was still alot to me. Dr has now sent me home, has given me much weaker enemas and said your condition should improve as you have been cleared out, although if not return.

I now sit at home, can't hold food or fluids not sure what else I can do

Should add the only things I am now taking is estradiol and paracetamol. I just took some Degas/Gas X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Re: 4 Weeks post hysterectomy - can't hold down food or fluids

I'm so sorry you're facing all of this, Jenno. It wasn't clear to me whether your surgeon has been consulted about these issues or whether your surgeon was a gyn/onc (gynecological oncologist) or regular gyn. If the surgeon hasn't been contacted, and these problems continue, you might want to run all of this by him/her.

I'm also not certain whether these issues are somehow related to your diagnosis or more related to the surgical procedure itself. After all, it's not uncommon to have some constipation and appetite issues following a hyst. Speaking of your diagnosis, I wanted to invite you to check out our Cancer Concerns forum as well, if you'd like. I did a quick forum search there for MMMT and found these posts which might have some useful information: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...archid=1616051

Sending positive thoughts your way that things will start improving ASAP. We're glad you found us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register