Post hysterectomy 3 days - Is it normal to be emotional? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy  3 days - Is it normal to be emotional? Post hysterectomy 3 days - Is it normal to be emotional?

Unread 02-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Post hysterectomy 3 days - Is it normal to be emotional?

Hello, I had a da Vinci hysterectomy on 2/2. All I have left is my right ovary. This is my 3rd day home. I'm still so sore and swollen. Woke up very emotional this morning. I'm so frustrated that it takes so much effort just to get up from the couch and the bed. I'm pretty much home bound for 2 weeks. No driving, no housework,no cooking. I'm lucky to have an amazing support system-my husband is making sure I behave. Is it normal to be emotional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2017, 10:18 AM

I just had mine done on the 2nd as well. (Same procedure as u) I only have one right ovary. I'm surprised I'm NOT emotionally unstable!! I'm expecting to b. But it hasn't hit me yet. I had a panic attack in the hospital as I started to cough and the pain was EVIL! I was weeping at that point. Last night I had a lot of coughing to do but I held it together. I didn't need to cry. Befor my hysterectomy I was so emotional. It's ok to be realy go cry! It's not superhuman to hold back! Hold on to some one or a pillow and be emotional. The release is worth it. I think it has to do with the hormones changing and adjusting to a new normal. We have some chemicals still in our system that needs to be worked out. Also grieve the loss of a hysterectomy. That needs to happen to.

Aww I'll give you a cyber hug, sister to sister!! **big hug**. Your not alone, it's normal.

Some thing I looked into befor surgery was St. John's Wort. It's for hormonal stability, treats depression, inflammation, and a lot of other things. You can get it at any health food store. But I would strongly recommend looking into it to see if this might be right for you. I already bought it because I thought this would be perfect after surgery & hormonal changes. It is a very potent and strong herbal remedy so look at the warning and side effects as well and it may interact with medicine. Obviously I'm not a doctor I'm just a sister talking to a sister but this is what I found. this is the advice that I have. I hope it helps you, and encourages you!! big hug!!!!
Unread 02-05-2017, 10:22 AM

I just thought of this too. I've had chronic pain for six years! And if it goes three days in a row with out a couple hour break then I'm very emotional and need a lot of support!! but sometimes I get those little breaks in between it helps me cope better. Just be aware of the length of time that you're in pain and that could trigger a lot of emotion as well and it's normal, it's completely normal !! Just remember these are seasons and they do change it's not forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Re: Post hysterectomy 3 days - Is it normal to be emotional?

My first 2 1/2 weeks I was emotional. I only have my left ovary. My kids stayed clear of me and only came in my room when I needed them to. 7 weeks PO, on occasion I'm emotional but I can't say it's due to the surgery. It gets better, promise
Unread 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Hello,

I was fortunate enough to keep both ovaries, although my left one required a lot of scraping due to endometriosis. I have no idea how my hormone levels are currently, however prior to surgery they were excellent with no hope of menopause in the near future.

I will never forget the outburst of tears I had on day 4 post-op. Out of nowhere I started crying while looking at a beautiful orchid my friend had brought me and thinking of how kind everyone had been. I have had several episodes since then but figure it's just my hormones straightening themselves out. I read that your ovaries can "go to sleep" after the surgery and cause some extreme fluctuations in hormone levels.

As for driving, pain, feeling frustrated......it will get better. Just try and be gentle on yourself and focus on healing. I'm almost at three weeks and still not driving, even though I fully expected at two weeks I would be. This is a major surgery and our bodies are exerting every bit of energy we have on healing. There is not much left after that.

Sending lots of healing hugs your way :-)
Unread 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctb2006 View Post
Hello, I had a da Vinci hysterectomy on 2/2. All I have left is my right ovary. This is my 3rd day home. I'm still so sore and swollen. Woke up very emotional this morning. I'm so frustrated that it takes so much effort just to get up from the couch and the bed. I'm pretty much home bound for 2 weeks. No driving, no housework,no cooking. I'm lucky to have an amazing support system-my husband is making sure I behave. Is it normal to be emotional?
I feel ya, I had my DaVinci on the same day, and like you have only my right ovary. I'm still really sore, but had a good BM today so that's helped with some of the swelling. I get emotional to because I don't like feeling helpless, and getting in and out of bed, and off the couch is the worst! They say the 3rd day is usually the worst, so we should be feeling better as days go by. I know I cry and get upset over random things, but again just had major surgery, hopefully it won't last too much longer! Having an amazing support system will help tremendously, I know it has for me, my folks are taking good care of me during healing process.
Unread 02-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Thank you all for the supportive responses. I'm glad I'm not alone. I'll just take it one day at a time and follow the dr's orders. I was in so much pain before the surgery so I know it needed to be done. Just need to focus on recovery and how much better off I'll be! Hope everyone has a good night-hugs
Unread 02-05-2017, 09:51 PM

My surgery was on 2/1. Sent home with catheter, back tomorrow for another try. Today...all emotions....I think it was a release of all of the planning before and after surgery, the unknowns, and impatience for recovery. I find comfort in this forum because sisters have been there and understand. Emotions are a huge part of the healing process, both physically and mentally.
You are definitely not alone!
Unread 02-06-2017, 05:04 AM

I'm so glad I found this website. So far, this morning is better than yesterday. Thinking of you today, ItIsWell.
Unread 02-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Got the cath out! Can move around so much better. So far so good. Did a limited version of the happy dance on the way out!
Still more hurdles but this was big for me. Hope today is a better one for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register