2 Weeks Into Hysterectomy Recovery Still in Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Weeks Into Hysterectomy Recovery Still in Pain 2 Weeks Into Hysterectomy Recovery Still in Pain

Unread 10-06-2016, 09:50 AM
2 Weeks Into Hysterectomy Recovery Still in Pain

Hello!
So this is my first time posting in this site. I just had a Total Hysterectomy (kept both ovaries) but they took out my Uterus, Fallopian Tubes and Cervix. I also had excision of my endometriosis. All of this was performed robotically and I have one incision by my belly button. I am a little over two weeks Post-Op. I am having more pain in my upper and lower abdomen than I did last week even. I have been off pain meds since a week and a half post. I've Been managing any "stingers" (that's what I call shooting pains in my abdomen) with Ibuprofen 600. But the last couple days it has been just painful. I have always had a hard time sleeping post op but it's been worse the last two days. I had a two week post this past Monday and all looked well with my incision and stitches vaginally. But again these extra shooting pains are horrible and hurt really bad. My pain tolerance is very high as well. I called my doctor office to see if I could be prescribed any more pain meds to help mange it and she said no and that this is normal. These stingers are my insides healing. She said to take double Ibuprofen and it hasn't worked. She is VERY strict with pain meds and I know I won't get prescribed anymore. She only gave me what I needed for the first week which is why I do not have any left over. I guess my question to everyone...Is this normal for me to be in very bad abdomen and vaginal pain two weeks in? What can I do to mange it since I've tried the dosage my dr recommended for the Ibuprofen 600 and it isn't working?! I am 42 yrs young and in shape and have always bounced back from anything pretty quickly...but I've never had major surgery either!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my hysterectomy story! I am open to any suggestions at this point! I have two 6 yr olds and one 3yr old- all boys- and I don't have time for this! Lol. Thank goodness I have an incredible husband who has been helping so much!
Sincerely,
Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Re: 2 Weeks Into Recovery Still in Pain

Are these "stingers" really intense, but also really brief? If so, it's likely your nerves - they get cut during surgery, and when they knit back together they zap like no one's business.

The good news is, if this is what it is, it shouldn't last too long. The bad news is it hurts a lot.
Unread 10-06-2016, 04:28 PM

Yes these stingers I've been having my doctor also said it was the nerves healing. These are very intense, sharp and have always been pretty brief. But the last two days they've been lasting longer! Ugh, they just kill! I'm having them all throughout the night and not sleeping very well either. This sucks! Lol. Like I said my doctor said this is normal but it's been SO hard managing the pain since it's been pretty constant....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Hi
I'm 3 weeks post op and having what I would call stabbing pains that take my breath away but only for a moment. I stopped using codeine based painkillers at 2 weeks but took walk round supermarket day 16 and suffered for that. So had to take another couple strong tablets along with paracetamol and ibuprofen that night.
I feel the more I think I can do and give it a go (a bit light housework) the more pain I am in. Today for instance I walked upstairs in a regular way and back down again, did bit of dusting and again feel rubbish now. Also last night tried to sleep without a pillow cushioning my stomach for first time so think that could be linked to pain being worse today. I'm still taking paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly but that doesn't help the these stabbing shooting pains. Feel a little better reading answer above about nerves healing. I'm in Scotland and consultant told me unless something seems wrong not to worry seeing Dr till week 8. Give me more time to see if I need HRT by week 8 he said. Have seen a nurse as stitches didn't dissolve. She was happy with wounds but told me off for thinking I could do stuff.
Unread 10-07-2016, 12:27 AM

Hi, You had major surgery & you are still early into the recovery process...I was presctibed 800 mg ibrophrophen. I was using a heat pad for pain, ice for swelling..

Are you sure youre not getting pains from constipation?Eat healthy, walking, water, fruits, veggies. Feel better!
Unread 10-07-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Hi, You had major surgery & you are still early into the recovery process...I was presctibed 800 mg ibrophrophen. I was using a heat pad for pain, ice for swelling..

Are you sure youre not getting pains from constipation?Eat healthy, walking, water, fruits, veggies. Feel better!
Thank you so much for the reminder. Again I am so use to bouncing back from things and I just thought this would be the same?! Wishful thinking. The pain I am experiencing is definitely NOT constipation...ever since I was done with my pain meds I became regular again, with the help of stool softener. When I had my 2 wk post-op this past Monday my doctor confirmed it was my nerves and this was normal. The pain though is so intense. Thank goodness the pains are brief but the ones that last a little longer are just awful and my Ibuprofen 600 does not help at all.

I really appreciate your feedback!
Unread 10-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Re: 2 Weeks Into Hysterectomy Recovery Still in Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Hi
I'm 3 weeks post op and having what I would call stabbing pains that take my breath away but only for a moment. I stopped using codeine based painkillers at 2 weeks but took walk round supermarket day 16 and suffered for that. So had to take another couple strong tablets along with paracetamol and ibuprofen that night.
I feel the more I think I can do and give it a go (a bit light housework) the more pain I am in. Today for instance I walked upstairs in a regular way and back down again, did bit of dusting and again feel rubbish now. Also last night tried to sleep without a pillow cushioning my stomach for first time so think that could be linked to pain being worse today. I'm still taking paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly but that doesn't help the these stabbing shooting pains. Feel a little better reading answer above about nerves healing. I'm in Scotland and consultant told me unless something seems wrong not to worry seeing Dr till week 8. Give me more time to see if I need HRT by week 8 he said. Have seen a nurse as stitches didn't dissolve. She was happy with wounds but told me off for thinking I could do stuff.
I completely understand how you are feeling. It's funny how you think your feeling better and you can do something but then pay for it later. I have 3 boys under 6yrs old and I know I push myself sometimes too much. Over the last 2 1/2 weeks I've gotten a little better asking for help! Lol. I am a stay at home Mama and pride myself on trying to be the best Mama I can be! It's been a good lesson for me.

Sounds like I'll be having these shooting pains for awhile since I've read some women posts on this site had these pains up to 6 weeks. I use to have terribly painful periods so this is nothing new but these stabbing pains are CRAZY BAD!

I wish you the best in your recovery! We are pretty much the same time post-op recovery so it'll be really nice to bounce things off one another! Glad to hear you have pain meds to get you through this! Take it easy and don't push yourself too much!

Nikki
Unread 10-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiKuch View Post
I completely understand how you are feeling. It's funny how you think your feeling better and you can do something but then pay for it later. I have 3 boys under 6yrs old and I know I push myself sometimes too much. Over the last 2 1/2 weeks I've gotten a little better asking for help! Lol. I am a stay at home Mama and pride myself on trying to be the best Mama I can be! It's been a good lesson for me.

Sounds like I'll be having these shooting pains for awhile since I've read some women posts on this site had these pains up to 6 weeks. I use to have terribly painful periods so this is nothing new but these stabbing pains are CRAZY BAD!

I wish you the best in your recovery! We are pretty much the same time post-op recovery so it'll be really nice to bounce things off one another! Glad to hear you have pain meds to get you through this! Take it easy and don't push yourself too much!

Nikki
Hi
Thanks for your kind wishes. I hope you have a speedy recovery too.
My 3 sons are grown men now so I don't have to be on the ball as you will have to be. My husband been great but they just don't do it the way you would like lol!
I behaved myself today but a great Scottish comedy series that been off air for 9 years returned to TV tonight and the constant laughing has not done me any favours lol. Hopefully handle it better next week.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register