Endometrial ablation versus hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial ablation versus hysterectomy Endometrial ablation versus hysterectomy

Unread 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Endometrial ablation versus hysterectomy

I am interested in knowing from those who have had an ablation if they would recommend it, or just go on with the hysterectomy. From what I have read and studied, I seem to find that those having an ablation usually go on to have a hysterectomy within a relatively short time period anyway.

Also, I have read that with submucousal fibroids an endometrial ablation doesn't usually work.

I appreciate anyone's experience and advice on this.

Thanks,
Sallie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2004, 11:29 PM

Hi ((( Sally )))) & welcome to HysterSisters
I'm soo glad you found us!! You've found the best place, IMO anyway ;-) for info, support & understanding for what you are facing!!
Deciding to undergo a Hysterectomy is a big decision & should be one that is well researched & thot thru. As with any major surgery comes the chance of risks...the more invasive the procedure, the greater the risks. The reason for the research & educating of all your options & any & all possible outcomes they may carry.
What I have found to be helpful is to make a list of each treatment that is viable to my own situation. Then list the risks of each along with the Pro's & Con's of them.
To learn the above is where the research comes into play....with the knowledge you gain comes the power to make the best decision for *you*

If you havent already, I'd suggest perhaps seeking out a
second or third opinion...they can help confirm the option you may choose is the right one or the opposite. There have been many women that have passed thru here that have had success with their Ablation outcomes! Then some who've had to undergo a 2nd or 3rd one along with ones that have had no success & went on to a Hyst. I think if there is another, less risky treatment available, one that is viable to your personal situation & hasnt been exhausted, that it should be carefully considered....it may just be the answer to your issues or symptoms?!? It may even alleviate the need for the Hyst but even should it fail, it could provide the *support* you need to know that other options were tried & the Hyst is the answer. Only you can decide that ((Sally)) for it is your body, only you have to live with the outcomes, good or bad

Here are some links I thot might be of some help to you by providing you some further insight & knowledge on both the Ablation & Hyst along with other options available in the treatment of Fibroids I also found printing any relevant of the things your interested in with you to your Drs appt to help better discuss these! It also helped me because I would always seem to forget half off what I wanted to ask, lol!

Why do women choose endometrial ablation rather than hysterectomy?

Fibroid Place~Treatment options

The following is an awesome collection of links:

Fibroid links in Resources:

Quote:
Ablation has a speedier recovery. For those women who feel that they need surgical treatment for their heavy periods but who are reluctant to lose their uterus, the ablation is attractive. It has become apparent that a significant number of patients undergoing ablation require further surgery. The overall difference between admission times between ablation and hysterectomy may be less. The risks of surgery in general, and hysterectomy in particular have been presented.
Complications can occur with ablation particularly if the uterus is inadvertently punctured.
How do hysterectomy and endometrial ablation compare?
Also here is a great site for Ablation support:

Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group
http://pub76.ezboard.com/bendometrialablationboard

I hope this can be of some help I'm sure others will come along to share their own experiences shortly!
Good Luck in your research & decision...pls keep us posted on how things are going....((((hugs))))
Unread 06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
ea vs. hyst

I had an EA done june 11th. They did the Thermachoice procedure. They also did a D&C, laproscopy and biopsy. While my biopsy came back benign, he did say it revealed hyperplasia. I go back in 3 months for another check-up and since I have already had a tubal (2 1/2 years ago), he told me to consider having a hysterectomy. Hyperplasia is considered pre-cancerous and usually an ablation will just by some time.

I have some thinking and researching to do before I return. I don't really want to go on hormones and possibly have to have other d&c's and ablations.

Good luck on your research.
Kristi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
I had both

I bled for years and went on bcp then went of bcp bled again went on progesterone. I ended up opting for an ablation which did stop the bleeding for a the six months after. I ended up having a supracervical laproscopic hysterectomy due to continued pain which ended up being adenomyosis. I can only say I should have done the hyst first as I was not in the market for more children.
I however did have a lap hyst and the recovery time is so much less with the procedure being so much less invasive . I ended up with four little marks on my abdomen and the scars are gone now.
For me I would have had the lap hyst first had I known it would have worked out so well.
I do not know ab out having fibroids and being able to have an ablation I had some small ones when they did my ablation ( which also consisted of a D and C first.

That is my experience I am sure here are varied opinions.
Unread 07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
ablation

I had continuous bleeding for years and went on and off birth control pills I also had 4 d&c's threw the years.
But after the birth of my third child I got my tubes tied and was still have many months of continuous bleeding. So my doctor didnt even give me the option of hysterectomy he told me all of the statistics of the ablation so I went ahead and did it. I had the novasure method and ended up staying the hospital overnight because of all the pain "I wasnt suppose to be in". It didnt end up stopping the bleeding so within a month the doctor said lets go in and do laproscopy and see what is going on with maybe doing a hys. I told him going in I didnt want a hysterectomy (I was only 28 years old) but I ended up bleeding out severly and he had to do it. I was in the hospital for 5 days and it was a very rough recovery. But if I had to do it all over again I still would get the ablation because the statistics are still favorable that it would stop the problem. And before having the hys. I went on a sight for ablations and spoke with many women who were successful and never had to go back for anymore surgeries. I think it depends on your age and if you have time to recover from major surgery.. Good luck , Kris
Unread 07-03-2004, 10:47 AM

I have two albations done. The first one was last Aug. It worked for about 8 months. I had the second one on May 26th of this year and ended up having the worst period ever. I called my doc and he recommend having the hyst. My opinion of them is not very high right now because I'm feeling like it failed. They did tell me at the first one that a repeat is sometimes necessary. For whatever reason my 2nd one was not a success. I hope that maybe that will help you with your decision. Good Luck with your decision making.
Unread 07-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Thank You

Thank you all, ladies, for your responses. I am very seriously considering what everyone has said and I am leaning toward just having the hysterectomy, which the dr. said must be done abdonminally due to and enlarged uterus from fibroids, done since I am 48 (but the decision is still up in the air). I go to the dr. on July 13 for my pre-op, at which time the decision will be made.

Thanks, again, for your help and support.
Unread 07-05-2004, 04:42 PM

Good luck with your decison. You will be in my thoughts.

Linda
Unread 07-06-2004, 09:59 AM
ablation

If you have fibroids then an ablation probably wont work anyway. The ablation just shrinks the uterine lining but if you still have fibroids or they come back then you will run into the same bleeding problem.. Talk to your doctor about it and good luck with whatever you decide...Kris
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:07 PM

Hi, Ladies.

Thanks for all your help and support in making a decision. My dh said he could tell at the dr. appointment that I had been really looking into my options. I appreciate your help in that.

I have made my decision at my July 13 dr appt. I will be having a SAH on July 27, keeping ovaries (hopefully).

Thanks again for your help. My best thoughts and wishes to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register