Worried about anemia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about anemia Worried about anemia

Unread 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Worried about anemia

Mr pre-op blood tests shows that I am still anemic--but just a little, therefore surgery will go on as planned. So that's relief that it won't be cancelled. But at the same time, I'm not happy to go into surgery even a little anemic. I'm so disappointed that all my efforts (I've been taking the nasty iron for more than year and have the gas to prove it), I did not raise my blood count to a good level.

Of course, I will lose additional blood during the surgery. I don't want to have a blood transfusion unless necessary to save my life. Hopefully it won't come to that.

But it depresses me to know that I will be going through recovery while significantly anemic. I'm sure that will make my recovery slower. I need to have a quick recovery, not a slow one. My husband is back in school and I need to find a job as soon as I recover.

Did any of you go through surgery or recovery while anemic? Did it make recovery take longer?

I have been taking carbonyl iron, which is supposed to be the easiest on the stomach (fewest side effects) and for me, I guess it is the best kind. Others I've tried gave me terrible cramps and diarrhea. I was fine with 2 pills of carbonyl iron per day but now that I'm on 4 pills (556% of RDA), the gas is pretty bad.

Well, I guess I'll survive. I know a lot of the rest of you have had it worse, so I shouldn't complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Worried about anemia

Hi Ferrin,

You could ask if a IV Sucrose Iron Infusion would be possible while you are in the hospital. I had one several months before my surgery. It just took several hours as an outpatient. As the iron is given via IV, it (mostly) bypasses digestion, and they can give you a lot in a short amount of time. It raises iron levels quickly, but it does still take time for your body to then make more red blood cells. But it really does work significantly faster than oral iron.

I was going to beg for one if I came out of surgery significantly anemic. I also had a terrible time pre-op with the truckloads of iron...so I understand your concern. I didn't end up having to go back on my iron post-op. Alot of us end up constipated for a bit post-op (without iron supps), so it seems it would be worth asking about.

Sending best wishes!
Unread 10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Worried about anemia

Did they say how anemic you were? Seeing as how your surgery is Monday, I would continue to take the iron until you have to start lightening your food intake. My doc asked me if I was still taking my iron and when I said yes, she was glad. Also, if you are not a vegetarian, some steak or liver (if you can eat it)might just raise your iron just enough to get you through your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Worried about anemia

I just had a TAH on Monday, Oct 10 and was anemic going into it also. I was at 8.1 the month prior to surgery and had it up to 11 which is still low but closer to normal. Then two days before surgery I started again with a very heavy flow for a couple of days so I was also worried about the anemia. Of course, they had blood available just in case but it wasn't needed. They did put me back on iron after the surgery and suggested I eat iron rich foods as soon I was up to normal food. I am doing very good recovering and can't tell the iron is making any difference. I also hate the way I cramp and feel on iron but it is only short term since the surgery took care of the problem causing anemia. Wishing you the best on Monday --- try not to worry. The surgery for me hasn't been near as bad as I imagined.
Unread 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Worried about anemia

Hope ya'll don't mind me jumping in here ...

I too am anemic and was thinking, would cooking in a cast iron pan help us? Just a thought ...

Dee
Unread 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Worried about anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee52
Hope ya'll don't mind me jumping in here ...

I too am anemic and was thinking, would cooking in a cast iron pan help us? Just a thought ...

Dee
I've heard that it does make a difference, that minute amounts of iron pass into the food. However, I've also heard and read that in order to build up human iron, "heme" iron is the best. This type comes from meats and not vegetables.
Unread 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Worried about anemia

My surgery for Oct 13th was cancelled due to low iron...I am 7.4 right now...Dr is going to do the transfusion thing, hopefully this weekend, but for now surgery is on hold indefinately. I would appreciate any info anyone can add... Was a big let down to be cancelled.
Unread 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Worried about anemia

I was very anemic after I had my D&C, I lost ALOT of blood during that proceedure, but I felt so good !

I also had a blood transfusion 2 years ago because of constant heavy bleeding. I didn't want it, but it was lifesaving.

Now I'm waiting for a TVH/BSO on nov 3rd. I am probably still very low, i will find out at pre op.

Best wishes to you
Unread 10-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Worried about anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonicera
You could ask if a IV Sucrose Iron Infusion would be possible while you are in the hospital. I had one several months before my surgery. It just took several hours as an outpatient. As the iron is given via IV, it (mostly) bypasses digestion, and they can give you a lot in a short amount of time. It raises iron levels quickly, but it does still take time for your body to then make more red blood cells. But it really does work significantly faster than oral iron.
I never heard of this but it sounds like a great idea! I will ask my doctor about this. Thanks, Lonicera!

Also, thanks to everyone for your comments!

MidniteLady, I'm so sorry to hear that your surgery was cancelled due to being very anemic. I was so afraid that would happy to me. That's got to be so discouraging. Hopefully your blood count will go up quickly with the infusion.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Worried about anemia

OK ccrump ...then I'll make a steak in the iron pan ... and also fried liver and onions! LOL

Dee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register