UGH! Pouring out clots! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UGH!  Pouring out clots! UGH! Pouring out clots!

Unread 08-15-2002, 02:01 PM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Has this ever happened to anyone? I had started my period Monday and last night I had been sitting at the computer for about an hour. I shut down, stand up and suddenly feel as though my insides were about to fall out.

I make a run for the bathroom and narrowly make it to the toilet in time as this huge clot drops out of me along with pouring blood! It was almost like it was projectiled! I wasn't in any pain or anything, but it sure was scary.

All day today it's been very heavy and I passed several more clots, not as big as the one last night but it sure has kept me close to home.

I was just thankful I was home and not out somewhere, I can't imagine what I'd have done.

Hysterectomy has been on my mind on and off, my endo biopsy came back fine last month, but geez, I just don't know what to do anymore. Seems like every 3-4 months I have all these clots, and then it stops for a few cycles. What is it, old blood and tissue that just hasn't come out from before?

I always have a heavy period. I can put up with just the heavy bleeding but when these clots happen, it's certainly debilitating.

Right now I'm looking at a thyroid biopsy and possible surgery for that in a few weeks, so I'll have to get that taken care of first before I make a final decision on they hyst.

Just don't know what to do, such a hard decision to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2002, 02:40 PM
I can relate

I can ralate to the clots thing. I had a scarry adventure a few months ago where I passed a clot the size of a golf ball and and few more small ones and felt dizzey and shakey. I saw the doctor a few days later and she said that sometimes the consistency of your menstual flow changes and just to take it easy when this happens. Not very reasurring - and definately very scarey. I remember passing a clot about the same size after my second child was born - 9 days later and having a hard time seeing out of one of my eyes for about half an hour afterward. Very scarrey.
Unread 08-15-2002, 05:13 PM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Oh Diane

Yep, I sure can relate. It happened to me at work! Had to retreat, with a coat, home for a change of everything. After that, I always lined my chair at work with extra fabric for protection and always had a spare set of clothes in the car.

I have had them rush out and others that I had to deliver!
It is a symptom of fibroids...have you had an ultrasound? Heavy bleeding is one thing but those clots are unpredictable. That's why I am house bound for several days a month. No one understands who does not go through it. My female boss said to me," well, next time be more prepared." :burning:.

It must be old blood. tissue and some other matter. Yuk! Make sure you have your hemoglobin checked.

A hysterectomy sure would take care of that! My clots started 7 years ago...still going on at age 53 plus. If you can take care of something today....why wait?

I hope your thyroid is OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2002, 05:25 PM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

I can relate to the clots. Before my hyst (I was 45 when I had it) my periods were getting heavier and heavier and the same thing would happen to me...........I would stand up and it would feel like a river was flowing between my legs.......huge clots that I could actually feel. Of course I usually had terrible cramps along with it.

Before my hyst, I had a pelvic ultrasound......of course the technician usually doesn't tell you anything while performing the ultrasound, but I knew something was up when she was looking at the screen and said "Boy I'll bet you pass some huge clots!! Has your doctor ever said anything about the size of your uterus?" I said "no" and laid there wondering just what she was seeing...........the test was at 10:30 a.m. and my doc called me with the results at 4:30 that afternoon.........not a good sign.

Turned out my uterus was so loaded with fibroids, that was all they could see........they couldn't even see the walls of the uterus.

I used to wear double protection.......the super-plus tampons and a pad............and still bleed through. I certainly don't miss any of that.

Good luck to you, whether you decide to have a hyst or not......also good luck with your thyroid biopsy.

Ann

HYSTERSISTER GATHERING IN SANFORD, FLORIDA ON 8/31/02.......CONTACT DAWN AT dtoolgrl@yahoo.com for info!!
Unread 08-15-2002, 05:30 PM
I can relate to this also

Hi Diane....I am two weeks postop from a TAH BSO. For the past year or so I had been very excessively heavy...having to wear a super absorbent tampon and a pad and still flow through.....clots were a big problem with me....large clots....almost like a placenta....these would happen all the time....one morning I had just walked into my building at work and felt a huge clot fall from me....luckily I made it to the bathroom but boy they are terrible....I have no problems since my operation although it was supposed to be laparoscopic procedure but ended up open due to my cervix being completely immobile and my uterus being almost three months size....I was also getting stabbing pains waking me up at night and was lightheaded from anemia...but no more! I am on the road to recovery. This operation is a big operation yes....but well worth it when I think of how I have suffered over the years with my period. Good luck to you Diane.
Unread 08-15-2002, 06:26 PM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Diane, I know exactly what you're talking about. It is the nastiest feeling in the world to stand up and feel the clots start to fall

Before being diagnosed with fibroids the first time I thought every woman passed a lot of clots each month, and also assumed every woman wore a tampon *and* a pad. There's no way I could have gone without both because I always leaked through. Little did I know.

Can't wait to be rid of them once and for all!
Unread 08-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Yes indeedy

Hi-
I have had the same problem for about two years with very heavy bleeding during my periods. I finally worked up the gumption to talk to my family doctor about it who at the time, ordered bloodwork and we saw I was borderline anemic. She said I didn't have to live with it, there was a medicine I could take to slow things down, should I feel it was out of control. Well, after one particular incident where I was at the doctor's office for one of my kids, I had Hoover Dam let loose (knew it was going to happen as soon as I stood up, but had to pinch my legs to try and hold it back until I got checked out with the secretaries). Anyway, I'm walking the looooooong hall out to the lobby and oops! the dam broke. I practically ran for the bathroom. The closest one was the main, lobby bathroom of all places with like a thousand people outside the door. I got in the bathroom, but by this time, the damage was done. It was everywhere...running down my legs, it was on the floor, it was all over the toilet, it was just disgusting. I had to strip in the dr. office and clean up not only myself, but the bathroom. I yanked my shirt down as far as I could get it, grabbed my kids and practically ran out the door. I was so shaken and upset. I was literally shaking. It was then and there that I knew that this is not normal. I had lived with many accidents before because of heavy bleeding, but decided enough was enough. I went back to doctor and sure enough she felt my enlarged uterus and we did ultrasound and found my fibroid, plum size. I said I wasn't glad, but at least I know there is a reason now and I'm not crazy. I also was tested again for anemia and it did worsen a little. I still have very bad clots. I can actually feel them coming out at times with the very big ones. The doctor told me the heavy bleeding and clots are almost like a hemmoraging thing. I also read somewhere that your body can't process the blood fast enough and the clots form with your coagulating "feature" your body has (????) Regardless, it isn't fun to live with. I am taking steps now to try and get a hyst. scheduled. I had a consult with my gyn and he put me on low dose bcp in the meantime to try and help the bleeding. It helped a little, still had some fairly large clots though.

I would definitely bring up about fibroids. Search the internet. I found a lot of valuable info and felt more educated dealing with this with my doctor. I realize that there are other alternatives to help with the bleeding and the fibroids, but I believe the hyst. to be the best option for me.

I hope you get all your things straightened out and best of luck to you. Let us know what happens.

Thanks, esa
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:36 AM
another NYC sister!!!

I can definitely relate to your situation, as can many of us if these posts are any indication of the widespread nature of this condition!
I was the most regular person on the planet until Jan of 2001 when I got my period and it just didn't stop. I was 43 (am 44 now) and went through various procedures to stop the bleeding: BC pills (did nothing), depo-provera (stopped bleeding but I had a bad reaction to it), 2 d/c's (did nothing), balloon ablation (did absolutely nothing except give me the worst cramps of my life for 2 days straight). I was scheduled for a TAH on 8/6, but I cancelled it and now I'm bleeding again and I'm sorry I cancelled. Aside from the fact that we are losing a tremendous amount of blood, which can lead to heart problems, the quality of life is just so limiting. I don't even know what it feels like to NOT wear a pad anymore.
Do you like your docs?? I'm in need of a new one. Please let me know! And good luck on all fronts. Take those iron pills!!
JoAnn
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:28 AM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Thanks so much for all your replies everyone. It makes me feel somewhat better to know that I'm not the only one who has had the Hoover Dam break as Esa puts it! (Good one Esa)

I'm very familiar with cleaning up messes on the bathroom floor here at home and even a time years ago when I was only about 23 and I made a mess in the ladies room at work. This was before I even had babies and I naively thought a tampon without a pad would be just fine. How wrong I was! What a mess. Thank God I kept pads at work.

I've been with my doctor since my last pregnancy which was 16 years ago (wow!) when he was just out of medical school. He's been very good to me and is not one to rush or push me into a hysterectomy. At this point, after I have what I call one of my "bad" monthly periods, I'm ready to schedule it now!

But, I first have to have this thyroid thing taken care of before I make any more plans.

If I were to have it done, I'd probably wait until the spring to get it scheduled for July of 2003 because that is when hubby takes most of his vacation and I won't be worrying about transportation to get my son back and forth to school. He's classified a walker, so he can't ride the bus and sometimes our winter days are bitterly cold with snow squalls and it would just be easier all the way around to have it done when my family is home in the summer to help me out too.

Well, I'm rambling on here, but I appreciate your well wishes and I'll keep you posted on my thyroid biopsy I'm having done.
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:48 AM
Please read....

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time of it.

When the doc and I were trying to decide what to do about my fibroids, he ran some tests, one of which tests pituitary function. The pituitary is the master gland and as such, it has a direct effect on the thyroid.

I found a link for you on WebMD about how thyroid dysfunction can affect your cycle:

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwi...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Hope this helps! (What an address--hope this link works!) Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register