4 weeks post-op, not what I expected | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post-op, not what I expected 4 weeks post-op, not what I expected

Unread 03-03-2003, 11:59 AM
4 weeks post-op, not what I expected

Hello ladies, I just wanted to let everyone know about my experiences. I think maybe i'm a big baby when it comes to pain. I had a great hospital stay, my DR. and all of the nurses were great. But when I got up for the first time after surgery and had to put my feet on the floor and stand up that was pretty painful. Of course they had me on percacet but I couldn't tell it much. When I went home I think the worst part to me was my first bowel movement. I mean it was horrible! I just sat and cried and held on to my husbands arm. I normally have to take stool softeners anyway so this was a concern for me. The doctor had me on a laxitive that made me have cramps that were unbareable. So most of my post-op pain was from getting my bowels back to normal not from my incession at all. Another thing that was quite painful to me was to cough. My throat would get dry during the night and I would wake up coughing. (If you have to cough or sneeze hold a pillow on your stomach.)
But after being home for about a week I was much better and starting to convence myself that I would live through this.
Now I feel perfectly fine and so glad that I had this done. Just remember ladies know matter what, it will be worth it. So looking forward to no periods at all, ever again!
I will be thinking of all of you and good Luck!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 12:33 PM
4 weeks 4 me too

i am a day behind you, and except for the scare of this incision opening up, the lower part, feel good. Pretty emotional, and in fac had a to with my nurse today. I go to see friday. I drove for the first time, and while bumps and braking fast remind me that i am still sutured up, i did well. I went to the grocery store too.I am having to start job hunting as the idiots I work for, have closed one of their stores and made it clear that I am fired. However, they have neglected to tell me this info, and in fact, knew this was happening a month before my surgery... What makes me so mad, is that I had a bunch of
pre cancer stuff and was given a 6 month window, and chose the end of it to get through "their Christmas Rush." They have not called to tell me the store is closed, or even check on me. Isn't that nice? I have met many angry customers, and some have called me to ask me why I would let them renew mailbox rental if
going out of business. My husband works for post office, and delivers mail to their main store, he has to bite his tongue.
Talk about stress. oh well, I will continue to place my faith in the Lord, and take it day by day, most times minute by minute.
Unread 03-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Yeah.. how 'bout them Bowels!

Just back from the castle ... 2/28 LAVH, BSO for fallopian cysts and degenerating fibroids - and a few surprises (like with the bowels).

Anyhow - my new MD (who after this surgery walks on water as far as I'm concerned) took out the endo and even took out my appendix. She said when there is endo they commonly do this to prevent any future problems.

Of course the endo was behind my (now gone) cervix and under a segment of my bowel. Everything else has gone online OK (no problem peeing, solid food the day after) but can feel that them bowels are going to be a little harder to reboot.

Have been taking drinking lots of fluids, stool softener, doing citrucel and small sips of prune juice - but have yet to have a movement (first solid food was 3/1, so expect tomorrow might be the lucky day). I'm rationalizing that if it takes an extra day or two, so much the better for any healing down there (where the endo was).

Had some excruciating bowel movements several years ago (before a fibroid on a stalk was taken out) so I know NSAIDs will allow me to live thru whatever pain is visited upon me.

It helps to know I am not the only one!

Fortyeight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Presurgery laxative hell

First time I've needed to use a laxative since Big Bertha had her growth spurt & got chummy with my bowel, and certainly won't do that again! Up for 3 post-midnight hours (on a working night) with wholly unanticipated agony! I mean, laxatives usually make me uncomfortable & crampy but these pains were outrageous. Am certain it could not be any worse after surgery. Will be starting my post-surgery bowel routine NOW. And looking forward to feeling better after Bertha has gone on her final journey.
Unread 03-03-2003, 06:41 PM

Well i'ts good to know that there's some of you out there that know what i'm talking about.

Kivah, thanks for the laugh. I know it wasn't a bit funny at the time but your post made me laugh. Thanks again I really needed that.

Best of luck fortyeight, I hope it goes better that mine.

Judyb did you say you were driving before you had your stapels/sutures out? I didn't drive until 3 weeks later. I'm sorry to here about your job. That was a sorry way to do someone. Good luck finding a new one, around here they are hard to come by.

Talk to you gals Later!

Lisa Kay
Unread 03-03-2003, 08:36 PM

I'm sorry to read about your problems.
Does the hospital give you stool softeners? Did you bring your own? How long do you have to take these? What kind to you get?

Sorry for the questions but this is one area my doctor hasn't covered. I plan on talking to him at my pre-op, but I'd like to know how this worked for you all.

Tracy
Unread 03-03-2003, 11:51 PM

Hi Ladies

For those of you who had your surgeries - Congratulations on becomming new and for those of you who have your yet to come - good luck!! We'll be polishing new crowns for everyone.

Tracyh - not everyone has severe pain with bowel movements after their hyster. Some have more trouble than others. I did have some pretty good cramping with my bowels for about a month- but nothing I needed pain meds for. I started using prunes when I got home thinking they would prevent any problems - all they did was give me that terriable gas pains. So I stoped them PDQ!!

Also DO NOT take your own stool softener to the castle. You will not be allowed to take it unless it's approved by your doc. The castle will have stool softeners ordered for you if you should need them. Ask you doc at your pre-op to have them ordered. Each doc likes to do it his own way. He can also send you home with a perscription if you think you will need it.

Good luck ladies - I look forward to following you all on the post-op boards.

Hugs -
Melissa
Unread 03-04-2003, 04:36 AM
OTC Stool Softeners (for at home)

There are over the counter stool softeners (can be used at home before and after surgery) - Colace is one brand. Any pharmacy should stock it.

There are some cautions about not using it too much... but if it's a choice between excruciating pain and/or impacted bowels - I'll take the Colace, thank you very much!

fortyeight
Unread 03-04-2003, 01:27 PM

I am 4 weeks post op also and just as I was feeling pretty normal I made a big boo boo. It's Bike Week here and the whole family has this ride planned on Sunday. So I asked DH to take me on a little trial run - DO NOT ride on the back of a motorcycle at 4 weeks post op. Swelly belly came back big time and I had to take yesterday off work because of soreness. It feels a little more normal today but I think I set myself back about a week.

I have had good luck with a teaspoonful or so of Milk of Magnesia before bedtime. It's the upset stomach dose instead of the laxative dose. Doesn't really feel like it's doing anything until I decide it's not and I don't take it for a couple nights. Then I feel the difference.
Unread 03-04-2003, 06:38 PM

Tracy I normally take stool softeners everyday anyway so this was a problem that I deal with alot, but post op was really bad for me. I take the off brand that wal-mart carries but the DR gave me the colace for a laxitive. Anytime I take a laxitive it cramps me really bad. Even the correctol for women. You probably wont even have this problem. I hope not anyway. They give you the stool softeners and laxitives so that when you do go it will be very loose and you wont have to strain. Thats the main purpose. You dont want to have to strain on top of being sore. I hope we answered your questions. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register