Fibroids-Surgery or Not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids-Surgery or Not Fibroids-Surgery or Not

Unread 02-20-2001, 09:47 AM
Fibroids-Surgery or Not

I have been advised by my ob/gyn that I must have a hysterectomy ASAP. The fibriods are very large (melon) and after an ultrasound she couldn't see the ovaries and felt I probably had cancer. I then had a CAT scan and the ovaries are fine, but she still feels that I probably have cancer because of the size of the fibroids. I know I have fibroids and they have been growing, but have always read and been advised they are benign, not to worry about they. Now I am totally confused. I am not having any problems except for heavy periods which have been greatly relived by using birth control pills. I don't know what to do. I am 49 years old and had planned on just dealing with them until after menopause, yet this cancer thing has come totally out of the blue. Has anyone been in a situation similar to this? This is the first time cancer has ever been brought up to me in connection with fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2001, 09:51 AM
Fibroids-Surgery or Not

Dear Bap,

I hope you are considering a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion. You can do a search of this website & the internet in general on fibroids to get more information. There may be other options available for you.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs!
Unread 02-20-2001, 05:58 PM
Get another opinion...

Dear Bap, I too was told a couple of years ago by my gyn that I should consider a hysterectomy. My uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy and the dr. was trying to
"scare" me into having the operation s-o-o-n...'before the fibroids grew larger and she would have to do a TAH, instead of a TVH'. I was very upset, like you are.
I got on the web and visited all the book stores and "educated" myself as much as possible. I read everything I could get my hands on...until my head ached from all the reading and I refused to consent to the hysterectomy, especially since I was 48 years of age and sooo close to menopause. My fibroids were also not causing too much discomfort and the Provera I took for 5 days before my period, helped control the flood-gates of bleeding. Imagine my surprise when I saw my gyn 6 months later and she annouced that the ultrasound showed the fibroids hadn't grown any more (YEAH!) and within another six months, my dr. said they were actually shrinking a bit in size (DOUBLE YEAH!). I am now in menopause and still have my lumpy uterus...So why do I visit Hyster Sisters??? I had a ovarian cyst scare last year, and that's when I found this wonderful website...and I visit it often for Hormone Jungle Info. The ladies here are the BEST! Lots of good stuff to learn...
Anyway Bap...get at least TWO more drs. opinions and know all your options. A hysterectomy is major surgery. You should be comfortable with whatever decision you and your drs. make and NOT FEEL RUSHED into it! It is, after all, your body.
I hope I helped a little...A big (((HUG))) is sent your way!
Ann

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2001, 06:46 PM
Fibroids-Surgery or Not

I agree: please get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Please do not feel rushed. I got 3 opinions over the course of 6 months.

My fibroids were pretty big and no one ever said cancer to me. Isn't there a test for that? I think it is pretty rare that fibroids are cancerous... I know they don't like it when they can't see your ovaries in the ultrasound, but it sounds like your doc was jumping to conclusions. Please get more information about this and check back in with us.

Did your doc give you a relative size of your uterus, that is, comparing to pregnancy size? I was 4-5 month sized. Are you anemic? Birth control pills worked for me for a few months, then the fibroids really started growing.

I took Lupron prior to surgery to shrink the fibroids, and my doc said it did shrink them by about one third. I have heard that some women with fibroids are able to use Lupron successfully until menopause. I am 41 and didn't want to stay on Lupron (off and on) for years (they grow back after you stop the Lupron, and there are not-so-good side effects of Lupron), so I chose a hysterectomy.

Best wishes to you, Carolyn

Unread 02-21-2001, 11:36 AM
Fibroids-Surgery or Not

I had a similar situation and it was rather frightening. I had fibroids for a long time that took a sudden growth sprut to a 9 month pregnancy size in a little over a month. I was referred to a gyn oncologist by my regular gyn. Apparently there is a nasty cancer that displays itself in that manner (I forgot the name). I was scheduled for surgery within 2 weeks of my visit to him. I would suggest you go to a gyn oncologist for a second opinion and if needed for the surgery. Mine was so wonderful, he took so much time and explained everything what it might be and what would be happening. My story has a happy ending, no cancer, just fibroid gone crazy! But I was so glad I went to the oncologist and got it taken care of quickly. Do get a second opinion (my family Dr. sent me to my gyn who referred me on they all thought it was cancer). Let us know what happens, I will be thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register