Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017 - Page 4 | Hysterectomy Recovery Reports | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017

Unread 09-23-2017, 05:31 AM
Smile - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017

Good morning sisters!

So this is my first post but I'm so happy to have found this site!! I visited often prior to the surgery to gain perspective from others regarding their experience. Now that I'm post-operative, I am happy to share my story

My surgery was Tuesday (Sept 19th) at 12:30pm. Surprisingly, I wasn't nervous at all. Just eager to get it all over with. I arrived at 10:30am with overnight bag filled with things I didn't need and a half full gallon jug of water! Everyone panicked ... have you been drinking WATER?!? Lol ... relax everyone. The water was for my CPAP machine. Gave everyone a great scare though. I was taken up to start my pre-op preparation and all went well. I am not at all fond of needles so the only problem I had was the two blood draws and finger poke for a glucose test. I'm not diabetic but my sugar levels were a bit low. The anesthesiologist said he would monitor my levels during surgery.

Once the IV was in, I had to wait a bit as my surgeon's assistant was held up in another surgery. So, my sister and I watched TV while we waited. Once I arrived in the freezer they called an operating room (whew .... it's always COLD in those rooms!!! How do they do it?!?) .. all I remember was a nurse who introduced herself as I slid on to the table. Then lights out ....

Waking up from surgery, all I remember is extreme bloating/pressure!!! OMG. Don't take me to the recovery room. I need to go to the bathroom!!! Someone deflate me. PLEASE!! That's all I was thinking. That was the worst part. That feeling like you have to go to the bathroom but just can't. Horrible.

Once I arrived in my room, I asked for pain medication. Not so much for any pain but I figured if I were sleep, I wouldn't feel the discomfort from the enormous amount of air they'd pumped into me. The surgery took just over 3 hours and I was in my room by approximately 5pm?!? I received a round of morphine by IV ... then later that night, I was given 2 Percocet. By Wednesday morning, I was taking only Ibuprofen 600mg.

So .. as far as the actual procedure .. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of the Fallopian tubes, cervix and 2 fibroids. The ovaries were in great condition and remained in. The fibroids .. which I have since named Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde .. were the source of many years of misery and the ultimate reason for the hysterectomy. The problem fibroid ended up being nearly 14cm and sat directly on top of my very normal sized uterus. It was so massive that my doctor initially thought it was my uterus that had grown to 20-week pregnancy size. The 2nd fibroid was just less than 5cm and grew off the right side of the uterus. Since the fibroids were so large, I had to have a vertical incision. Not preferred but was necessary so my surgeon had room to get to what she needed to.

My recovery has been really good. I started walking the hospital floor the morning after surgery and was also able to order a regular breakfast. Didn't have much of an appetite and hospital food isn't the greatest but I did eat. My BP was slightly elevated the night of surgery but by 2am Wed morning, it was back down to normal. I continued walking the entire day (met their goal of 5 walks that day) and felt better with each one. The bloated feeling was subsiding and I was looking forward to that first pass of gas! I was discharged on Thursday morning but my bowels were still a bit silent. Once I got home, I drank a glass of prune juice and I was ready!! By 3pm, I'd had my smooth move! I felt SO much better.

So it's now very early Saturday morning and I'm feeling great!! I didn't take my midnight dose of Ibuprofen and now at almost 6:30am, I don't really think I need the next dose either. I'll play it by ear and see if I experience any pain. One thing that has been a Godsend is the stomach band. It definitely helps support the incision when walking around. I take it off though when I'm sleeping. I've found that it irritates the staples a bit if I sleep with it on.

Well ladies ... that's my journey thus far!! Thank you to everyone that's shared their story and a big kudos to the moderators of this site. I can't even express how helpful it is to have a community of sisters who share the same experience!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017

Good morning everyone,
I had my robotic laparoscopic hyster on 9/21/17. I came home yesterday-not even 24 hours after surgery! I felt good in the hospital. The nurse got me up early to take a walk & use the bathroom. I was surprised that I really wasn't in a lot of pain. But of course I was on pain med through my IV.

I was so happy to be home yesterday but I had major issues sleeping last night. The hospital beds were great to help you get out of bed. I had a rough time getting comfortable & had to prop up my head with pillows. I woke up with some neck pain this morning and gas pains. I can see that sleeping in a recliner would be beneficial but I don't have one at home. Any suggestions that anyone has about getting in and out of bed, would be greatly appreciated!

I'm concerned about bowel movements. I am taking Miralax. The doctor prescribed pericolace. I'm not good at swallowing pills. Does anyone know if this pill can be crushed or chewed? I'm so afraid of all the warnings on the drugs I'm taking. But I think as long as I follow my doctors orders, I should be okay. It's difficult remembering when to take the pain pills. I'm taking Percocet & 800 mg of Motrin/ibuprofen. I'm not sure if I should take the Percocet during the day as it will make me sleepy or take Motrin during the day & Percocet at night.

I'm so glad this hyster is finally over! Now is the time to recover & move on with my life.
Thanks for listening!
Unread 09-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017

Hi everyone ... I am 47 yrs old ! I had my Da Vinci hysterectomy Monday everything but ovaries , I came home Tuesday morning . I was up walking around the hospital on Monday afternoon . I have felt really good most of the time. Not really had a lot of pain but more like discomfort however took Percocet first 3 days as prescribed to stay ahead of the pain . Wednesday I Felt a little worse than Monday & Tuesday but figured that all the anesthesia had wore off so just more discomfort . Not much pain just sore & tired . I felt good Thursday & Friday .I am resting & walking around inside of the house & out on my porch every little bit to get exercise ... but today I feel bad .... not pain but just feel yucky if that makes sense . Just feel tired like I need to lay down , no appetite today & yes I have had a few BM's this week .... So I guess I'm curious during this healing process do you go back & forth in how you feel for how long ? I guess I just thought I would continue to feel better everyday but seem to be yoyoing back & forth . I keep thinking I can't see what's going on inside & it's only been 5 days from a major surgery so I guess it's normal to feel better then worse then better again as long as no major problems or issues .Thank you! I send all of you well wishes & prayers for healing through this process .
Unread 09-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverwhelmdFibro View Post
Akdwyer09 -
I completely understand and can relate. In fact I posted yesterday asking if anyone else was grouchy!

Everything you pointed out is the same for me.

My poor kitty is sick and throwing up. My fiance used to like him a lot but bcs he's feeling overwhelmed with taking care of me and the household, he's been complaining about the "stupid" cat rather than being concerned our pet is literally sick. Very upsetting to me.

He had also said he had no problems with taking care of everything, but now that's changed. I'm sitting in bed wondering how quickly I can get up and able to take care of things so he won't be stressed aka mean.

It's tough.
I thought it was just me. I notice the strain on my fiance as well. I can't relax when I feel he is stressed.
Unread 09-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Unhappy - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 18-Sep 24,2017

Feeling let down today, I discovered that daily naps for 3-5 hours are needed. Still very tender on incision site exspecially on one side. It is stinging. The site is more red than the rest of the wound. I have this belly overhang and I am having difficulty keeping the incision separate from the belly flap. I have pulled off several strips of tape that holds the incision because they were falling off. I had a abdominal hysterectomy with removal of the uterus, tubes, and ovaries due to fibroids. I am 54 and was not in menopause so surgically I am now. I don't notice any menopause symptoms yet. Surgery was 19 Sept 2017.
I started having a fever last night it went away and now tonight I have a fever again. Low maybe 100. I also have a rash over my tummy. I question rather the choice to have the surgery was the right one. I know that probably this is just a phase.
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Just wanted to say to everyone and check in to see how everyone is feeling. I am doing fairly well. Just a litte pain. The main thing for me at this point is just being so tired. Usually by the end of the day my belly is swollen and feels like it is going to burst open from the swelling. My husband and I have been trying to go on 2 short walks a day outside. Yesterday despite the heavy rain we went on a short walk. Just nice to get some fresh air and move.
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Just wondering if anyone else is having lots of pain still... My TLH was on the 18th. Was doing pretty well painwise. Last night and this morning... Pain so bad in the pelvic floor area. Worse than any cramps I've had before the surgery.

Having a BM is excrutiating.. Physically shaking and ragged breathing pain.

All I keep reading on here is how terrific everyone feels and not taking the prescription pain meds. Not a single person complaining about bad pain. I hate feeling weak. I didn't go through all this to feel worse... Just need to know this is also normal...
Thanks for reading my whining!
BethAnn
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:43 AM

I'm just checking in to cheer you all on. The first week or so can be really rough. Please keep in mind regardless of whether you kept your ovaries, your hormones are probably amok - it will take time for your body to adjust - these ups and downs are a normal part of recovery.

Take your pain meds exactly as directed - please do not attempt to be brave. Do not stretch out the dosage tones or take less pain meds than prescribed. Your body needs to concentrate on healing-and not fighting pain. Please be good patients!
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM

I've been reading everyone's posts and reading the previous weeks postings as well, just to kinda stay ahead of any thing that I could run up against. I'm not hurting but still take the ibuprofen morning and evening just as a preventative. There's no pain in relieving myself so that's a plus. The housework is getting done by the family this weekend so that's a relief. I'm doing lots of computer stuff and my body is fine with sitting. Keeps my brain occupied. I'm am going to sleep earlier and waking up later, which will stop in a few weeks after I'm healed more. I can't wait to drive again. That's my biggest hang up right now.

Still wearing the binder, 23 hours a day. Keeps me secure. Keep updating as the days go by.

My body temperature is fickle. Hot and cold all day long... it's crazy!

Xoxo Andi
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethAnn2002 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else is having lots of pain still... My TLH was on the 18th. Was doing pretty well painwise. Last night and this morning... Pain so bad in the pelvic floor area. Worse than any cramps I've had before the surgery.

Having a BM is excrutiating.. Physically shaking and ragged breathing pain.

All I keep reading on here is how terrific everyone feels and not taking the prescription pain meds. Not a single person complaining about bad pain. I hate feeling weak. I didn't go through all this to feel worse... Just need to know this is also normal...
Thanks for reading my whining!
BethAnn

What you are describing is true for many - physically recovery is taxing! I was exhausted and despondent when I returned home. You are entitled to feeling crummy - you just had major surgery. As I just said, it is not a great a idea for most of us mere mortals to shirk our pain meds - we are not expected nor should we be superwoman. Very few gals in reality heal well right away - they are very lucky - but not the majority. Listen to your own body. No one is or has the right to judge your pain level. Your are expected to have pain after major surgery - recovery is not a race. There is no prize for healing first.

Try raising your legs on a trash bin ans gentky rocking back and forth when you go to the bathroom. Do not strain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register