Ticked off, bleeding incision at 8 weeks. | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ticked off, bleeding incision at 8 weeks. Ticked off, bleeding incision at 8 weeks.

Unread 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Ticked off, bleeding incision at 8 weeks.

Last Wednesday, a few hours before boarding a flight to San Francisco, I saw my doctor for a lump under my incision. Doctor (young fellow) had never seen one this late into the healing process, didn't know what it was but was "pretty sure" it wasn't an infection (no fever or heat). Told me to have fun in SF, no suitcase lifting, just walk a lot, etc.

This lump has been painful, unlike the hematoma a developed at 2 weeks. It hurts to move my leg, doing simple movements like sitting down, getting up, getting dressed (putting on undies, etc.). Any stairs that were unavoidable, even going up and down curbs, I took with baby steps, two per stair/curb.

We got home last night. When I was undressing for bed, my incision was bleeding and dripping at the site of the lump. I admit to freaking out and shrieking for my husband. He inspected me, mopped me up, and called the doctor's answering service. Got a call back within minutes (different doc on duty), who said that since I wasn't bleeding profusely and the bleeding was actually stopping by that time, to wait and watch and call my doctor in the morning. Waiting until my appt. was ok too, since I was already scheduled for early after to examine the slow-healing cuff.

I slept badly, and in the early hours started oozing again (dh had bandaged me and it was saturated). I'm going to call the triage nurse just to put the doctor in the picture so he'll know he's doing more than a speculum exam. But I'm ticked off about the whole thing and am hoping he has a colleague in the building if he tells me he still has no idea what's wrong with me.

Any suggestions, ladies, about questions to ask or diagnostic tools to request? I have a feeling me might send me for an ultrasound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2008, 08:29 PM

I think you are right in being concerned and having the doctors check things out thoroughly. I do think an ultrasound or scan to see what is going on is a good idea. I would be persistant in getting proper treatment.

Best to you at your appt. and getting some answers and help with this.

s
Unread 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM

The doctor says that it's a seroma that was looking for an exit, so it found a spot in my incision. He said it didn't look or smell infected, but he went ahead and cultured it and put me on antibiotics. He also cleaned it but didn't warn me he was going to do that, and cripes, that HURTS!!! I have to go back Wednesday and Friday for additional probing/cleanings, and in the meantime treat it twice daily at home with peroxide and keep it bandaged as it's still leaking. Fortunately, it's not deep enough or large enough to required packing. He used one of those q-tips-on-a-wooden-stick thingys.

In his focus over the incision, he nearly forgot what I was originally scheduled to be there for -- an 8-week speculum exam. I had to remind him that 2 weeks ago he applied silver nitrate and we needed to see how things were doing inside. The good news is that I don't need more silver nitrate. The bad news is that I need more time, so no "going all the way" yet. He'll take another peek when I come in on Friday.

I don't understand why all this is happening to me. I've been super-attentive to followup care, following doctor's orders, not lifting, bending, etc. I've not been risking anything because I want to get well and start experiencing that improved quality of life that I had the surgery for.

I feel so low in spirit right now, way beyond feeling just resigned to fate, almost not caring what happens or doesn't happen next. I'm feeling like I've been left behind on the healing train, so far behind that I can't even come close to catching it. I feel like I can't feel anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM

((Lauri)),

Oh, don't feel bad, or that you did anything to cause any of this. I had to have 3 treatments of silver nitrate, yeast infection, constipation, etc. I have found that some of this is pretty common. The hematomas seem to happen to people as well.

I guess whenever anyone has major surgery they are more prone to have things happen.

The best thing to do is rest, take care of the wound and before you know it all this will be a thing of the past.

The great thing is while you are recovering you can hang out here at Hyster Sisters on the many different forums.

Hope you feel better soon.

s
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and compassion. Being part of an understanding group with so much in common has been so very helpful, and I appreciate it.

Good news from the doc today. On Monday the gap was about 3/4" or so across, and the tunnel from it about 1" or 1-1/4" deep. Today, just 2 days later, the gap and tunnel are about half of what they were, and the tunnel is healing nicely from the inside out, just as it's supposed to. No sign of infection but I'm to stay on and finish the augmentin. Hopefully by Friday it will make lots more progress, and then I won't have to go back until the Friday after.

Whew! I feel better now.
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Lauri, keep us in the loop!

I'm about 10 weeks post-op and have not had the issues you are dealing with, but I admit I'm getting a bit frustrated. I expected the recovery to go faster, and even though everything I read says it takes a WHILE, I don't LIKE it!

(((hugs to you -- we are all with you!)))
Unread 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Lauri - so glad to hear you are healing and all seems to be going well now. I can sympathize with your frustration.

I have an open incision (2.5 weeks post-op) that sounds similar to yours - about 1 inch across and 1.5 inches long - with what appears to be a small hole/tunnel. Too small to pack without opening it up more.

Saw doc 4 days ago and while nurse had suggested very small piece of gauze soaked in saline and inserted into open area as wet/dry dressing, when the doc came in he said no, too much poking and proding every day might delay healing and to just clean it twice a day with saline, add hydrogen peroxide to saline every other day, and just let air get to it as much as possible.

But unlike you, I have not seen progress in last two days - seems about the same - and still leaking a bit.

Called nurse yesterday as the "hole/tunnel" concerned me and it wasn't apparent when I saw her 4 days ago. She said keep an eye on it for a few days and if gets bigger, I can call her.

I am so unbelievably frustrated and emotionally drained. I too have done everything the doctor said, taking it very easy, etc. and yet it doesn't seem to be getting any better! I'm sick of looking at open wound every 5 minutes just hoping and praying it'll look like it's healing, only to wake up day after day with same ugly looking open wound.

Thank goodness for all you sisters out there. You are keeping me sane.

Any thoughts or advice?
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I was/am too much of a wuss to inspect the hole carefully, so I'm just going by what the doctor said. When I saw him on Monday, he kind of freaked me out when he showed me the wooden q-tip he had used to show me how deep it went when he cleaned it.

I'm still leaking/draining quite a bit too. I expect that it's a good thing, showing that the yuck is still leaving my body while it continues to heal. My doc said that some doctors send a visiting nurse around to clean and do wound care, but he prefers to see his patients himself since he's the one who made the incision in the first place, and can really keep tabs on the healing. If you read the seroma thread (Yikes! My stomach is a fountain), you'll see that some of the ladies had visiting nurses, and some required packing. I'm thankful that's not the case with me.

You might want to see your doctor again just to get some status of your progress. Are you on antibiotics? My are just precautionary; no word on the culture yet.

Yep, this is all much slower-going that I anticipated. I might have had a better clue had I found this site sooner (found it 4 weeks postop), but I'm glad I found it nonetheless. Better late than never: all the information has been wonderful, and the compassion has been priceless.
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:47 AM

So you're not doing the packing either? I was beginning to think I was only one with open wound not packing it. But doc said not to, so I'm trusting his advice. Open area is about 1x1 inch now with tiny hole in center that is still draining, but not much.

Yes. I was on antibiotic for 7 days after it opened up, but when I saw doc this past Monday, he said he wasn't going to refill it as he doesn't like to keep patients on antibiotics longer than necessary and there are no signs of infection at all. Just cautioned me to keep it clean by squirting/washing saline in it twice a day.

I may call doc early next week and see if they'll take a look at it again.

I have a feeling, after reading these boards and seeing how long some have taken to close up, that I'm just being too impatient expecting visible progress every day and I just need to relax and let the healing come.
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm impatient too, especially since my surgery was 7/28, and having this thing happen so late in the game makes me feel really set back. Physically, it has set me back, because I can't walk nearly as much without getting breathless and exhausted. I had been doing so well up until now. I'm also having some skin damage issues from the tape. I switched tape types (not better and maybe worse), so I'm going to ask the doc about that today. Yesterday quite a lot drained out, but it seemed to be mostly blood.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register