Anyone breastfeeding post op?? Please HELP! - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone breastfeeding post op??  Please HELP! Anyone breastfeeding post op?? Please HELP!

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Re: Anyone breastfeeding post op?? Please HELP!

Not everyone is a good pumper so don't use that as a testament to your supply. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. Your baby should be able to help you get your supply back with some trying. When I nursed, I used to visit a site called kellymom.com and there was so much information there. They have a forum also and maybe someone there has been through this particular issue. Good luck! 6 months is a great start!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Oh Cath...it's ok! I am paranoid too. I don't vaccinate, I use cloth diapers, and make my own baby food. lol All because I don't trust any big business. If I didn't need the pain meds, I wouldn't take them at all. I really appreciate the advice from everyone. I did contact a lc and rented a hospital grade pump. With the fenugreek and blessed thistle, we'll see how it goes. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic.
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM

happy nursing!!Hope it goes better soon.
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM

He actually had two honest to goodness breastfeeds yesterday. I was very happy. It's a start back in the right direction!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM

So happy for you both!
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM

I breastfed all 3 of mine after c-sections. The first c-section I had general anesthesia, followed by a morphine pump and I was on hydrocodone after all 3. I know from those 3 experiences, as well as talks with my pediatrician, OB, and lactation nurse that all of those meds are still safe while nursing. Any of the above would be 10 times safer in breastmilk than alcohol, so I share that to calm you down.

I'm guessing he's refusing because your supply is low, which means the pressure at which your milk lets down is light and he has to work a bit harder for it. Be sure to hydrate...water only for a while. Absolutely no caffeine for a while. We lose a lot of blood with a hysterectomy. This will cause a bit of dehydration and thus affect milk supply. Once you get your body hydrated it will be better. Offer your breast every time before offering a bottle. Once they get latched onto a bottle they rarely want to go back on the breast. Also, 6 months, he may be dealing with teething. Have someone go to the pharmacy for you and pick up infant teething tablets. Give him one 5 minutes before trying to nurse and hopefully that will help.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register