post-op food for healing and help | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op food for healing and help post-op food for healing and help

Unread 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
post-op food for healing and help

Hi sisters, I thought I would share with you some of the post-op food ideas I have been trying, which are helping me with the healing so far. I see there is a recipe sharing spot on here, but thought I'd offer it here as well.

For those suffering post-op constipation from the pain killers, we all know water, walking and stool softeners are good and prunes or prune juice are great for getting things moving. But if you want something warm and delicious, try making some stewed prunes (just use a packet of pitted prunes, some water, a stick of cinnamon, and one or two diced (peeled) apple or pear - slowly bring all to a boil, cook for a few minutes and there you are!) Lovely over museli or with custard or ice cream for desert and almost guaranteed to make things a little easier! You can have it warmed up or cold, but its more palatable than just eating them straight from the packet!

Yogurt is a brilliant food too, providing lots of good bacteria for the stomach to help things regulate, especially for those who have had antibiotics for post-op infections etc to prevent thrush or yeast infections. Make sure you get as natural and non-sweetened yogurts as possible that have the pro-biotic bacterias. Alternatively you can get acidophilus tablets from your pharmacy or health food shop. Just remember if you are on anti-biotics, don't take the yogurt or tabs at the same time as the med - the anti-biotics will knock off the good bacteria - have at least an hour or two between taking the meds and guzzling the yogurt for best effect.

I make my own museli, with loads of nuts (almonds, macadamia, hazelnuts, cashews) and seeds (sesame seed, sunflower seed) and shredded coconut, puffed corn and puffed rice, oats if you want too, and a generous drizzle of honey. I bake the lot (without any oil) in the oven for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, and that does me for most breakfasts. Good fibre and proteins and fills you up for good energy for the day. Being just post-op at the moment I need my partner to do the oven/bending work, but the rest is easy to prepare.

If you find you are craving sugary foods post-op, try instead to have a handful of nuts. Often the craving for sugar is a craving for a quick fix of energy, and although sugar seems like a good fix immediately, it doesn't last long. Nuts will give you a sustained release of energy and proteins, which will make for body happy and should satisfy the body sweet craving. If you really crave the sweet, try dried fruit or the stewed prunes! Two birds, one stone!

Mind you, nothing wrong with a little comfort food if you ask me! Just thought I would share these ideas. Be keen to hear other peoples thoughts and recipes for good recovery food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Re: post-op food for healing and help

Greek yogurt was a great stomach friendly food for me. California slab dried apricots fit the bill for my craving for something sweet and tangy. I craved brussel sprouts and artichokes...go figure. Lately I have been craving salmon. I had salmon 3 days in a row. Yum!

I did a mini-cleanse at 4 months post-op. No coffee, chocolate or alcohol for 2 weeks. White tea, black tea, clean protein (fish and chicken and lean beef), and all the vegetables and fruit I wanted. It really helped clear my system after anesthesia, pain killers, and feeling bogged down. As a side benefit I lost 5 pounds in 10 days. I was so bloated after all the trauma of two surgeries in 9 weeks. I am planning to do another mini-cleanse starting Monday.
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM

Great idea to do a mini cleanse - I think when I am clear from this I will do the same! I've also had back to back surgeries, and even though I am being careful of my diet I am already feeling sluggish! Cleanse is a great idea in a little while. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2012 View Post
Hi sisters, I thought I would share with you some of the post-op food ideas I have been trying, which are helping me with the healing so far. I see there is a recipe sharing spot on here, but thought I'd offer it here as well.

For those suffering post-op constipation from the pain killers, we all know water, walking and stool softeners are good and prunes or prune juice are great for getting things moving. But if you want something warm and delicious, try making some stewed prunes (just use a packet of pitted prunes, some water, a stick of cinnamon, and one or two diced (peeled) apple or pear - slowly bring all to a boil, cook for a few minutes and there you are!) Lovely over museli or with custard or ice cream for desert and almost guaranteed to make things a little easier! You can have it warmed up or cold, but its more palatable than just eating them straight from the packet!

Yogurt is a brilliant food too, providing lots of good bacteria for the stomach to help things regulate, especially for those who have had antibiotics for post-op infections etc to prevent thrush or yeast infections. Make sure you get as natural and non-sweetened yogurts as possible that have the pro-biotic bacterias. Alternatively you can get acidophilus tablets from your pharmacy or health food shop. Just remember if you are on anti-biotics, don't take the yogurt or tabs at the same time as the med - the anti-biotics will knock off the good bacteria - have at least an hour or two between taking the meds and guzzling the yogurt for best effect.

I make my own museli, with loads of nuts (almonds, macadamia, hazelnuts, cashews) and seeds (sesame seed, sunflower seed) and shredded coconut, puffed corn and puffed rice, oats if you want too, and a generous drizzle of honey. I bake the lot (without any oil) in the oven for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, and that does me for most breakfasts. Good fibre and proteins and fills you up for good energy for the day. Being just post-op at the moment I need my partner to do the oven/bending work, but the rest is easy to prepare.

If you find you are craving sugary foods post-op, try instead to have a handful of nuts. Often the craving for sugar is a craving for a quick fix of energy, and although sugar seems like a good fix immediately, it doesn't last long. Nuts will give you a sustained release of energy and proteins, which will make for body happy and should satisfy the body sweet craving. If you really crave the sweet, try dried fruit or the stewed prunes! Two birds, one stone!

Mind you, nothing wrong with a little comfort food if you ask me! Just thought I would share these ideas. Be keen to hear other peoples thoughts and recipes for good recovery food?

Thanku angel for the stewed prunes idea...i will have to try that, its sounds good...i try to be a healthy eater as well...yes yogurt is sooooo good for our bodies to give us back thats good bacteria,,,i buy 0% greek yogurt, its filled with the good stuff our bodies need....and yes gas and bm are a prob when taking meds, i have been drinking lots of prune juice and ive made lots of high fibre muffins since surgery to help ease things along....I have history with IBS so have always had tummy discomforts that ive tried to be calmed down for many years now,,so yep lots of trial and error stuff....Thanks again for the stewed prune recipe, i will try that....Peace be with you
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Making my whole grain gluten free bread right now as I am craving eggs and toast. There's nothing like farm fresh eggs and toast to get a girl moving in the morning. :-). I have also been juicing. Usually a combo of beets, carrots, celery, oranges and grapefruit. Pure nutrition. Beets are great for your liver and gallbladder. That juice will get your gut moving though, hehe! Lots of mangoes around here lately too. I crave them the way some people crave chocolate. Go figure.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM

I hadn't thought of juicing - another great idea Beth_L! I'll get my juicer out and start it whirring today! And I have my mothers recipe somewhere for bran muffins - I'm gonna make some today too, thanks Angel_Peace. Wish it was mango season over this side of the world - I love them so much too and could eat them all day long. I have been craving pomegranates though and they are in season here, so that's a lovely alternative! Thanks for sharing ladies!
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM

I would add papaya chunks to my yogurt and mash it in with tidbit stevia and cinnamon, oh so good...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register