Severe pain in shoulder 1 day post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe pain in shoulder 1 day post hysterectomy Severe pain in shoulder 1 day post hysterectomy

Unread 08-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Severe pain in shoulder 1 day post hysterectomy

Did anyone experience excruciating should gas pain??? I am one day post op and in sooo much pain- looking for relief suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 06:32 AM

You didn't indicate your surgery type; mine was laparoscopic, and I remember that pain quite well! It's from the gas that's used to expand the abdomen for these procedures; what's left over migrates up into the diaphragm, where it presses on the nerves in that area. It should work its way out within a few days; to help it along, take regular walks, and have some peppermint tea. Also, don't forget to join your recovery thread, where you can share your experiences with your surgery week sisters. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 08-19-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
You didn't indicate your surgery type; mine was laparoscopic, and I remember that pain quite well! It's from the gas that's used to expand the abdomen for these procedures; what's left over migrates up into the diaphragm, where it presses on the nerves in that area. It should work its way out within a few days; to help it along, take regular walks, and have some peppermint tea. Also, don't forget to join your recovery thread, where you can share your experiences with your surgery week sisters. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Mine was Lap as well. Thanks for the advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Re: Severe pain in shoulder 1 day post-op

Let me guess... you had laparoscopic/robotic surgery! No, I'm not clairvoyant . To make room in your abdominal cavity so the surgeon can look around, they'll pump you up with gas like a flat tire. While it's often attributed to trapped gas and could be, the diaphragm and shoulders share the same main nerve and disruptions to our breathing or pressure on the diaphragm can result in shoulder pain. Try GasX, a heating pad, lying flat on your back with your knees propped, and walk around the house. You're probably already on pain meds, otherwise I'd suggest ibuprofen or acetaminophen (don't add anything unless your doctor prescribes it).

Rest well, and hope that goes away soon!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register