TAH Tummy feels tight like a band 3 days post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy feels tight like a band 3 days post hysterectomy Tummy feels tight like a band 3 days post hysterectomy

Unread 08-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Tummy feels tight like a band 3 days post hysterectomy

It's been 3 days since my surgery and all is well except today my stomach feels very tight anyone else felt this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Re: Tummy feels tight like a band

There've been a few questions about this today, so it must be something in the air . The tummy swelling has a nickname and it's own emoji - swelly belly ! I'm suspecting that's what you're feeling, and it's what brought me to this site, too. We've had major surgery with lots of internal incisions that we can't see. If you think of any injury (broken arm, sprained ankle, burn), fluids gather around the inflammation as a part of the healing process. It's what happens to many of us around our tummies post surgery. Sometimes it's nothing more than daily living which makes it worse, and as we heal we seem to notice it more in the evenings. Here's an article where you can read more: Tummy Care - Swelly Belly. My favorite line is So, you ask, "How do I get rid of it?" You don't. It has to go away on it's own. Best thing when it got the better of me was to rest in a reclining position, allowing both my back, tummy and core to relax.

My doctor said by week 8 I should notice it less and I did, but I'd still get it when I resumed an activity for the first time, or did something which really used my core. (At 3 months I still get evenings where it rests across my middle!) You're not alone, and yes, it will get better!
Unread 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Re: Tummy feels tight like a band

Hi,

Welcome to the post op side! After surgery you will experience many symptoms. One big hurdle is getting the GI going. Gas & constipation are a common complaint post op. You are probably bloated due to constipation..

Get on stool softeners. Eat apples, prunes, prune juice, grape juice, magnesium, veggies, nuts, pumpkin seeds-are great full of magnesium will help you to go. Smoothies: 1 c spinach, 1 c blueberries (any berries), 2 Tbls Flax seeds, 1/2 c yogurt, 1/2 c soy milk optional, ice..

Walking throughout the day along w water, water! Peppermint tea for gas, gas x. Heating pad for pains. Step stool when go bc aligns the colon.

Eat small, frequent meals & snacks. Avoid processed foods & starchy carbs like pasta, rice & bread bc binding. Salad w olive oil bc fats lube the colon. Probiotics are good. The GI system will be off for possibly weeks.

Swelly belly also occurs. Get the GI system going & it will help. Otherwise, swelling takes time to go down. An ab binder can help. Ice packs for swelling.

If you are having pain w the bloat aside from GI, then contact your Dr.

Feel better!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register