Embolization | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-29-2000, 12:03 PM
Embolization

Last week I went to the University hospital near me to meet with the radiological dept head about having the embolization procedure done. After getting web information about it, thinking about it and realizing my own medical complications and what that procedure would bring with it, I decided not to have it done.

Has anyone here had it done? Has anyone looked into the procedure? The basic idea seems wonderful for those with simple health problems. It stops the blood flow to the fibroids and causes them to shrink. Seems simple enough.

So, anyone?

doreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2000, 08:37 PM
Embolization

You've looked into it further than I have. I'm still of a mind to keep my future fertility options open, so I'm not sure its the choice for me. I hear a mixed bag on if its a viable option for those desiring future childbearing capabilities.

There's an interesting new procedure talked about in this month's Ladies' Home Journal which sounds similar but easier. Its called Interventional MRI - where they go in and freeze the fibroids using similar imaging technology. I looked on the University of Mississippi website to read more about it and it looks quite interesting.
Unread 08-29-2000, 11:31 PM
Embolization

Hi civilgal,
I went on a research bindge............LOL. I looked into every procedure that was mentioned. When I went to the hospital, I had a file of pages from web sites I had gone to. Everytime he said something, I asked "well, what about this?"
The procedure sounds wonderful, the newness scares me. I am not sure that something that is so new, without yrs of follow up is the best for some people. I mean, they go into the femoral artery with a catheter. It loops up and around to the uterus. They inject small sand size particles into you and it clogs up the fibroids so they don't get blood, they shrink (because they thrive and live on blood) and there you have it, they can shrink, even totally go away. Now, sorry, I know that was a WAY basic laypersons interpratation of it, but it is the basics.
This is less then 10 yrs old, most places, less then 5. Yes, they will tell you they have been doing it for 20, but noone seems to be able to get me followups from those old cases.
They will not do it at my hospital if you are thinking about ever having children. There is a possibility that it can screw up the ovaries. There is a small (1% chance) of woman who have this may still need to have a hyst. after all due to complications.
Anyway, I never planned on having "human" children, I have my birds, dogs and cats, and plan to foster when we move upstate. I had told my older sisters once that if they were "out of childbaring (sp??) yrs" and wanted me to carry a child for them, I would have. WELL..........sisters ( I mean my real ones) guess what? With the cramps I have had, the pain I have been thru, I can't begin to imagine what it is like to go thru a pregnancy.....
The freezing one sounds interesting.....

Good luck with what ever method you choose.

doreen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register