In NY and sick-flu like again. Could it be this? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In NY and sick-flu like again.  Could it be this? In NY and sick-flu like again. Could it be this?

Unread 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM
In NY and sick-flu like again. Could it be this?

Hi Sisters,

Some of you may have read my post the other day that I was vomiting and diarreah on Wed. morning. I thought maybe it was food poisoning from eating out that evening, but was not sure or a stomach bug. Well here this afternoon in NY in my hotel room I suddenly got very nauseous again, and I have the diarreah back. I keep feeling that hot sensation you get just before vomiting, but so far haven't. I worry I will puke yet.

I am wondering now if my getting the flu shot on Monday started this. I was fine up until Monday. Monday I got the flu shot and then by Tueday night I was vomiting and diarreah like I have a flu bug. I even ran a fever. Could it be from my system being run down from the hysterectomy that I may be reacting to the flu shot by having the flu????? Also why did it return today again after 3 days???? I really now wonder if I am reacting to the flu shot from being run down from my surgery...I'm wishing now I would not of gotten it this year.

I am really frustrated. DH and I were going to go out tonight and here we are in the hotel room cause I am feeling sick to go out, plus the diarreah don't help either to go out. DH brought me some imodium ad's and emetrol the pharmacist recommended for the upset stomach.

Is it possible to relapse from a stomach bug 3 days later? I'm drawing at straws trying to figure out why this returned. At least now I am not puking..I pray it don't during the night. I came close a few times.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.this has me baffled right now. Maybe someone here is a nurse and can answer some of this for me. I am so frustrated and worrying if I am having a hyster complication now too.

Thanks girls and have a great night..I will check back later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Oh honey, I'm no nurse but I'm sending you my strength and love!!!! The only thing that ever helps my tummy is peppermint tea!!
Could you at least order room service and snuggle?? I'm soooo sorry this happened!! You deserve a nice night!
Unread 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Hello Sister Angel. I'm sorry to hear how sick you're feeling, especially while you're out of town. I hope you're feeling better soon. I am sending love & prayers for your health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Sorry to hear about you feeling "poopy." I have heard that sometimes when you get the flu shots you indeed get sick from getting the shot.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Make sure you keep hydrated.
Unread 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM

i just answerd the last post you sent from your room, im sorry u didnt go out for tea im sending you heeling thoughts, i had a flu shot last year and was a bit off for a couple of days after, but may be you picked the bug up before they gave u the jab
and dont forget your amune system will be down due to hyst and we would pick any thing up thats going around for a while, iv got a lip full of cold sores which iv havnt had for long time.
Hope you feel better soon
Dianne
Unread 11-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Good Sunday morning fellow Sisters,

After taking 3 imodiums I got the diarreah under control for now. We leave back home early this afternoon, so I got a 6 hour drive ahead of me. I hope I can make it. The nausea is still some there, but not as bad. All I am eating for breakfast here is a banana. I am going to do the BRAT diet for awhile. Some with kids will remember this. For the runs you eat bananas, rice (white), applesauce and toast. I figure this will give my system time to calm down. I have some emetrol to take should nausea hit on the way home. The pharmacist across the street recommended it to dh. I am better, but still don't feel right...so I will take it easy a few days and see what happens.

Poz, you mentioned hearing people getting the flu after the shot and I am really thinking I am having a reaction from the flu shot. I think my immune system is run down due to the hyster and getting that shot with it so weak just provoked it. I hope and am worried something else may be wrong....but I will try not to worry....I think I need some positive energy sent my way. I am feeling kind of down feeling this way. I am positive most times, but as we all do I get down too.

Have a great day and you all have my prayers for wellness, joy and much love in your lives. Never give up the fight. Keep focused and strong and God in your lives, and you will survive anything! Geez, I need to reread what I just wrote and do what I am saying here today to you LOL.
Unread 11-12-2006, 10:32 AM

SisterAngel - I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you get better soon!

As for the flu shot causing your illness, remember, the flu shot is for the respiratory flu, not the stomach flu. So, I don't think what you have is from the flu shot. If it was, you should have respiratory symptoms.

But, I do think you could be right in thinking that your immune system is run down after surgery, and that could make you more susceptible to the stomach flu bug.

Take it easy, and I hope you get well fast! Sending prayers and 's your way!
Unread 11-12-2006, 11:30 AM

SisterAngel: You responded to my thread when I was feeling down, so I am sending a back your way. I was touched that you took time to respond to my worries over sneezing when you yourself are battling with flu symtoms. Coincidentally, my mother and I were just discussing the flu shot vs. surgery recovery question. Only once did I ever get a flu shot, about 10 years ago, and as a result I was never more ill in my life: afterward I immediately caught everything else but the flu -- colds, bronchitis, sinus infection, and an ear infection. I definitely have mixed feelings about the benefits of getting a flu shot. I am not a doctor, but perhaps our recovering bodies are not strong enough to handle all the different strains that are injected when getting a flu shot. Sister, what is done is done, and hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon. Maybe you did the right thing about getting the shot, and you'll remain illness-free for the next year! I hope this is the case. Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope that you are back on track very, very soon. God bless.
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM

SA,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling sick again, there is nothing worse then being sick away from home.
I had a flu shot about 3 weeks after surgery with no side effects.
I hope your drive home was uneventful and that you recover quickly, feel better!
Sending 's and prayers your way!
Barb
Unread 11-12-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaBailey

As for the flu shot causing your illness, remember, the flu shot is for the respiratory flu, not the stomach flu. So, I don't think what you have is from the flu shot. If it was, you should have respiratory symptoms.

Just seconding Jana here. The "flu shot" is for influenza. What we often call a 'stomach flu' is something else entirely.

I'm really wondering if you could have picked up food poisoning twice in a row. With the quickness and severity of the symptoms, it seems more like that. Not a nurse, but with my 'crew', I've seen some of both types of stomach distress.

Also, a doctor friend of ours told us that it's not good to stop vomiting or diarehha (sp?) unless it's becoming debilitating or dangerous. It's the bodies way of ridding itself of the toxins.

Lots of fluids ~ or as much as you can, hon!

And big

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register