anyone released without a pelvic exam? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone released without a pelvic exam? anyone released without a pelvic exam?

Unread 09-25-2008, 05:00 AM
anyone released without a pelvic exam?

I went to gyn/onc visit at 4.5 wks and was released....NO pelvic exam. verbal consult only. Doc never touched me. never felt the swelly belly, etc.

anyone else released that way?

I asked him if I was getting a pelvic exam and he said no need.

confused!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2008, 05:49 AM

I did not have an internal exam at six weekd but the doctor did touch my belly and the incision (examined that).
Unread 09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Doctor moving away

Yesterday in the mail I received a letter from my gynecologist who also did my TAH - she is leaving the practice to move back to Minnesota to be near her family.

I am somewhat surprised at my feelings - I am feeling sad and sentimental. She performed the most important and intimate surgery on me just 6 weeks ago. I feel like I have this special bond with her and don't want her to go.

And I am looking back on the surgery prep, the surgery itself, and healing time in a sentimental fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:30 AM

so if they do not do a pelvic exam, how do they know the vaginal cuff is healing properly?

are there symptom/problems that go along with a cuff not healing well?
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM

4 weeks sounds kinda early.....

mine did a pelvic exam at 1 week and at 4 weeks post op... and i'll get another one next tuesday for my 6 week check up......
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Hi there, my name is Kristine and I am from Michigan, too. I saw my doctor 4 weeks post op and no exam, he will do one 6 week appt. She said she doesn't want to disrupt the healing of the cervix closure. Hope this helps
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:40 AM

thanks kind of my point. i was release at 4 wks without a pelvic exam after surgery. this was a gyn onc.

when i questioned him, he said a pelvic exam was not needed. so with that, how do we know that the vaginal cuff is healing properly if I don't go back?

i don't think another dr will take over and follow up at this point so close to surgery.

any ides out there as to how to proceed if this guy doesn't want to see me? i do not have another appointment. i have been fully released.
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:43 AM

this discharge is a pain int he butt, isn't it!!!!!Do you have any children??
Unread 09-25-2008, 11:23 AM

[quote=eaa1964]thanks kind of my point. i was release at 4 wks without a pelvic exam after surgery. this was a gyn onc.

when i questioned him, he said a pelvic exam was not needed. so with that, how do we know that the vaginal cuff is healing properly if I don't go back?

i don't think another dr will take over and follow up at this point so close to surgery.

any ides out there as to how to proceed if this guy doesn't want to see me? i do not have another appointment. i have been fully released

I had a similiar situation I had a pelvic exam at 1 week out and again at 2 weeks. I went in for pain with UTI after my second check up he released me and told me not to have sex, no lifting or doing anything strenuos for 8 weeks. I too wondered how he could knowI would be fully healed w/ out another exam. I went to my family doc ....he is great.My UTI didn't go away with the anti bioics the gyno put me on now I am on my 3rd set of anti biotics and an anti-infectious med because he said the fluid and inner linning of my abdomin are infected as well. My regular GP is going to do a pelvic exam on me at the 8 week check point. If you have a good relationship w your family doc he will probably check you out if for no other reason than to ease your mind
Good luck I hope this helps
Unread 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM

That does not make sense. He needs to make sure all is healed. My two week appt. was just talking thank GOODNESS. She just looked at my incision.

The six week appt was a good exam. All was fine. I would not go without knowing how everything is healing.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register